Posts: 72 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
I picked up my N900 and lo and behold the mic isn't working. I've also found problems trying to copy music onto the device

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Originally Posted by ShadowLFC View Post
I picked up my N900 and lo and behold the mic isn't working. I've also found problems trying to copy music onto the device
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. This club is beginning to get less and less exclusive! Though I suppose that will alwys be the way now the device is actually getting out there.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend reading at least the latter parts of this thread as some people have noticed how reboots or using different chargers can help. It's probably a long shot, but if you are caught by the bug instead of the bad hardware, then it can only be a good thing!

All the best to you. Although you might need that in getting a replacement too! I'll be calling Nokia back tomorrow . I expect it'll be a send for repair job, but after thinking about it, maybe it isn't so bad as at least I know this device hasn't got other faults (touch wood), and not knowing what the stocks are like, it may even be the quicker turn around!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ads For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ chicago usa
i just got my from nokiausa, and the first thing i checked was if the mic worked and it did ^_^

Originally Posted by fiendskillz View Post
i just got my from nokiausa, and the first thing i checked was if the mic worked and it did ^_^
Lucky you. What a pain in the bum, my mic's not working and Nokia have not got any to replace my device with ...... MPD / CPW / OMG ?? What to do ? .... The acronyms go on !!!

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ León, Spain
My N900's mic isn't working too.

I purchased it from Nokia Spain online shop. I'm very disappointed, I can't believe that the quality tests from Nokia didn't test the microphone.

Is there any software solution out there, or is this a hardware problem?

Last edited by dieg; 2009-12-01 at 08:29.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I've had the intermittent mic failure problem twice now. Reboot has always fixed it. I'm always charging with the included mains charger (not usb from computer). It would be interesting to be able to duplicate it at will, but I've not had enough time to test...

My failure is constant. My mic simply doesn't work, ever. I've already reflashed with the latest version and everything.

I've requested a RMA with Nokia Spain Online Shop... I'm tired of this thing.

Having also problems with the mic dropping out. I'm not sure but this seems to happen especially if I have been using regular headphones(no mic) with the device. Restarting brings the mic back. I'll test this better later today.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Surrey
I've had the intermittent mic failure problem once I think, It could have been the other end as it was a mobile. Rebooted the phone and it was back to normal again. I think the intermittent mic problem is software related.

How is everyone getting on with there replacements?

Tags
audio, broken, dead, doa, fail, failure, lack of quality control, mic, microphone, n900, n900 recall, no audio