Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Yes - all the opinions of the experts concur; WP Metro UI is an attractive and engaging UI and Mango will deliver enough functionality for the masses. MS do appear to have got it right. Past performance is no indicator of future potential.
I have only used WP7 in the shops, and find Metro visually impressive and even clever, but it also feels a little dry, cold and impersonal, like it is constantly trying to outsmart you (e.g. no clue on what you can tap since everything is text, unconventional icons, cluttered screen due to panoramic hints, restless screen due to the many animations - I could not feel at peace using it, unclear UI concepts like "hubs").
It may be a bit too unfamiliar for people to wrap their head around it. Maybe teenagers and geeks will like its engaging and innovative design language, but I think the UI is part of the reason it is not more successful with the "masses" (as you say).

As far as I know, Mango introduces new features but this UI issue still remains. I wonder how they will advertise it, since they basically need a marketing reboot for Mango. "Check out these new features in Mango!" "But wait - these are features available on any platform!".

I was initially surprised at Nokia's decision to contribute Maps to the OS, thus allowing other Mfrs to take advantage of a unique Nokia feature, but how much is 'Maps by Nokia' on every WP device by every manufacturer worth in marketing $'s?
Wonder if other WP manufacturers (like Samsung) would tolerate this insult for long...

That is why iOS has become so popular and even though it lags behind Android technically (in that you can do more with Android if you know how), iOS is growing fast.
I think it is a huge mistake for Microsoft and Nokia to try to emulate Apple. Apple have an ingenuity, an impunity / mind share, an understanding of the tech trends, etc. that I think is impossible to emulate. Due to their magic touch Apple can force many limitations onto their users but it is very ambitious to think of being able to replicate that grip.

Apple have failed to exploit the mid and low-end, Android is technical, fragmented and a bit messy and confusing.

That is why WP could be a good bet for Nokia. It may not be as technically capable as Symbian, but it won't have to be. It will ofer enough functionality for the masses and will be as easy and engaging to use as iOS at a fraction of the price - Nokia will see to that.
As this point, it is a pure gamble whether WP can reach mid-end. I agree Nokia will want that but WP seems a lot less flexible in terms of hardware requirements than say Android or Symbian. Elop crashed Symbian so while we are waiting for this gamble to materialize, Nokia can't compete in the mid-end.

But where does that leave us geeks?

Well, we'll still have Symbian for a few years. Belle looks promising - especially combined with fast processors or dual-core. many of us will jump over to Android, but I fear that will become increasingly locked-down over time.

And we have Meego and Meego/Harmattan - for now. If N9 sells well enough and doesn't backfire on Nokia (by way of disgruntled customers complaining of poor support and lack of apps - all the stuff we've seen on these pages since the N900 was launched) then maybe - just maybe Nokia will use something similar to the N9's OS and UI to promote further disruptive technologies.

Here's to hoping...
N9 is not primarily a geeky device, it is primarily a consumer device fit to take on WP/iOS/high end Android devices. It *will* backfire on Nokia if they do not properly support it because it will not be bought by geeks only.

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
What I don't understand is that the N9 is a great phone for consumers and he doesn't want it to catch on and become popular! My girlfriend the other day told me there's a "new phone" called the N9 and I listened to her talking about it for like 10 minutes on how cute the "pink" one is and how awesome it looks like (UI).. And not trying to sound like an a**hole but she's pretty naive when it comes to any kind of electronics/technologies. What I'm trying to say is that MeeGo is appealing to devs and power users and also those "regular" consumers! But somehow they (Nokia/Board Members/Elop) don't want that continue!
Its NOT Meego that is appealing to your GF.

Its the propriety closed source Nokia UI Layer.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
This hating on Elop is just getting ridiculous. Seriously he has created the most direct plan that the company has had in years and people are just disrespecting the effort he has put forth. If he hadn't become CEO I would've bet money Nokia would NEVER have released the N9. The company has no clear direction or laid out plans for the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to automagic68 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wow. Seriously... just wow.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
This hating on Elop is just getting ridiculous. Seriously he has created the most direct plan that the company has had in years and people are just disrespecting the effort he has put forth. If he hadn't become CEO I would've bet money Nokia would NEVER have released the N9. The company has no clear direction or laid out plans for the future.
Oh yeah, it's direct alright.

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
nokia board pretty much doesnt have internet.
they believe earth is flat.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
It is obvious that they needed the N9 last year, it has arrived too late, and the big picture is in two years, Nokia being the "Windows phone", competing to Apple and Android (Android, not HTC and others).

This is the big picture, and the promise that they won't be simply hardware manufacturers, but they will "transform" windows.

The big picture is that they couldn't wait forever to Meego, Nokia cannot dissapear, and when facing its potential crack, the only option was to go to Windows. Now the N9 is so good? Too late, what if for some reason the N9 wasn't ready now? What if the N9 is so usable as the N900?? Because, the N900 is a great mobile, but for geeks, not for standard users.

Perhaps the N9 is also "difficult" for normal users, and Nokia needs something really standard (we will see)

If I was in their position, I think I would have done the same. My only concern is that, if the N9 is a hit, why don't take profit of it? Windows and Maemo can coexist, the same that HTC works with Android and Windows.

If the common sense is to be applied, We will see a good future for Maemo, perhaps not Meego to keep Windows happy (I would bet Windows has put a LOT of money). The days keep going, and I am more and more sure that I will buy the N9, and pray for the friendship between the common sense and Elop.
first wp7 its a copy of n9 which is done MONTHS is advance and wp7 is way behind harmattan in all aspect other that number of apps.

which many, including SKYPE integration its on the n9 before it.

and wp7 is not standard, thats the "new" thing it have to it, the text into tiles and not aside or below em.

not to remind you poor sales it having with samsung, HTC, dell, ASUS, acer, LG, backing it up.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Hmmm... is it time to open a betting pool thread?

Everyone has their own crazy predictions, it's time to log them up somewhere neat.

- Will Nokia's condition improve within the next 12 months?
- Will Elop be credited to sink or safe Nokia within the next 12 months?
- Will there be any MeeGo* devices from Nokia past N950/N9?
- Will Nokia be bought out by another company? (if yes, by whom)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Hmmm... is it time to open a betting pool thread?

Everyone has their own crazy predictions, it's time to log them up somewhere neat.

I'm game.

I sincerely doubt it, even if they turned around and started doing everything right, I think it's too late. It's like trying to slow a down-hill run-away car back after it's been gaining months of speed heading downhill and then trying to push it back up to the top.
Yes, I'm certain he'll be credited with sinking this ruined company--he already has been. I can't see how he can be credit with anything but turning Nokia into his next ruined Kin project.
I'm convinced that there won't be, sadly.
Probably yes, most likely by Microsoft since it appears to me as if there's a barely discrete effort to undermine the existing and legacy workforce, products and services, stock, brand and morale.
Mark my words. I've been pretty good with predictions so far.

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
...the obvious thing to do is to make Maemo devices for mid end as well. I refuse to believe that the N9 is the last Linux based phone.
It will not be the last Linux based phone from Nokia, here's one of the first hints:https://twitter.com/#%21/klasstrom/s...05439988662272

Last edited by NokTokDaddy; 2011-07-07 at 05:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:

Tags
balmer was here, e6 rox, elop rox, elop snopp, elop's fool, the elop flop