i had a similar problem - it inexplicably went away when i disabled the free memory and disk free size applets - my battery life more than doubled too

Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
i had a similar problem - it inexplicably went away when i disabled the free memory and disk free size applets - my battery life more than doubled too
Are these applets that would come with OS2008, or are they 3rd party applets that I would have had to install myself? I've only had the N800 for about a month and haven't installed many extras yet

they are 3rd party - but anything that routinely probes either your hardware or the network will quickly drain your battery faster than you might think

Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
End of the day it still said it was charging, but I unplugged and the battery charger said full. Used it for about a 1/2 hour on the way home and then put it away for the night.
Seems like there is something running in the background causing the CPU to run at max speed. You can check it by installing an applet like osso-statusbar-cpu to see the running processes and the cpu load. Do you have a large SD card installed and have you to tried disabling metalayer-crawler?

Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
they are 3rd party - but anything that routinely probes either your hardware or the network will quickly drain your battery faster than you might think
My battery seems to be flaky and its stock/ OEM. Like other people, sometimes it "charges" for well over 8hrs and is not done yet, but per the posts above, it could be due to this "load applet" that I have installed that monitors process, HD usage, and takes screenshots. I really just needed it to do screenshots. Anyhow, I can't get more than 24hrs of standby out of my N800; and I'm assuming standby is just locking just touch screen and keys, right?

Anyhow, just "unchecked" it from my applets list and will see what happens. I hope this is enough and that I don't need to uninstall it too.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ England
my new n800 takes 2.5 hours from almost 0 battery