Notices

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by anapospastos View Post
It seem to be just right there and sitting. Its annoying to wait and any indicator or something to tell you: "hey i cant get a gps lock"
How about just seeing that speed is correct when the lock has been established?

I agree with you it would be cool to have some signal strenght indicator somewhere, but it still doesn't make the whole app to be disaster.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
How about just seeing that speed is correct when the lock has been established?

I agree with you it would be cool to have some signal strenght indicator somewhere, but it still doesn't make the whole app to be disaster.
Ok maybe the word disaster is wrong but its annoying to wait and anything inform you. Its not useful. I couldnt get a gps lock(about 15 minutes waiting), it seems to not working because every time that the gps is used by the device the icon appears on the desktop.

Originally Posted by anapospastos View Post
Ok maybe the word disaster is wrong but its annoying to wait and anything inform you. Its not useful. I couldnt get a gps lock(about 15 minutes waiting), it seems to not working because every time that the gps is used by the device the icon appears on the desktop.
Just to compare.. my previous N97 couldn't get GPS lock in 45 minutes when a-gps was disabled :-D

But anyway, with phone like N900 unlimited data plan is must to have anyway and GPS gets lock very fast when a-gps is enabled.

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
Just to compare.. my previous N97 couldn't get GPS lock in 45 minutes when a-gps was disabled :-D

But anyway, with phone like N900 unlimited data plan is must to have anyway and GPS gets lock very fast when a-gps is enabled.
Not for me, it is too expensive here in Greece. I will wait the new firmware and the possibility for the gps bugs to be solved.

Honestly, GPS is mostly useful while traveling, and for many people here in europe that means traveling internationally. I have yet to see a world-wide, or even europe-wide data plan at a reasonable price. Until I can get that I'm not getting any data plan at all, and want to be able to use GPS anyhow.

I had been told that if you previously got a lock (using A-GPS) within the last couple days and do not move more than a few hundred kilomoeters, the GPS should be able to lock without connectivity. But I did a cursory test today and it did not work.

Originally Posted by feydrutha View Post
Honestly, GPS is mostly useful while traveling, and for many people here in europe that means traveling internationally. I have yet to see a world-wide, or even europe-wide data plan at a reasonable price. Until I can get that I'm not getting any data plan at all, and want to be able to use GPS anyhow.

I had been told that if you previously got a lock (using A-GPS) within the last couple days and do not move more than a few hundred kilomoeters, the GPS should be able to lock without connectivity. But I did a cursory test today and it did not work.
I get your point. Last time when I was travelling (in Thailand) I used GPS every day of the week I was there and if I recall right the roaming data charcing was something like 10-20 euros for the whole trip including other data transfer than just GPS. But ofcourse the hardware should work without a-gps enabled also if specs from manufacturer says so.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
The biggest problem now is how to disable screensaver? It's useless like this. I don't want to change the screen settings for this.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
...anapospastos: as far as I know the N900 GPS only works when a-gps is enabled (some issue with firmware or so...). ..
No.
GPS works by itself, all the time, independent of a-gps, pics here, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...608#post447608, thread #5

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-01-13 at 21:15.

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
No.
GPS works by itself, all the time, independent of a-gps, pics here
From my experience, the initial lock requires a data connection, but once you have that, you can disconnect.

This works great for me because I have a lifted Jeep with big tires and my speedo is not accurate anymore.