Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
There are other problems too: See the packege "maegirls". The version in testing has a bug fix and portrait mode support but it cannot be promoted yet. This prevents us from uploading versions with minor changes since they take forever to be uploaded. For example, the last version of maegirls has a typo in its description but I'm not going to fix this and loose the 6 votes it collected in 2 months.

Once again, IMHO, the 10 votes requirement is not a good thing. It makes the process a popularity contest instead of a QA process. It also somehow discourages authors and testers. Again, I've not seen any argument in favour of 10 instead (e.g) of 5 or 20.

Also, testing serves as an intermediate repository for packages that work correctly but have some glitches. Perhaps if there was another repository, where those packages could be promoted from testing with fewer votes, the queue would be reduced. Something like extras-not-so-testing.

My 0.02 euros.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
The main problem isn't getting an other repository ... i think ... the problem is how the QA is done ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
The main problem isn't getting an other repository ... i think ... the problem is how the QA is done ...
While I agree 100% with that (I also posted this as a solution to the brainstorm), another repository may be needed. But that's perhaps another thing to discuss.

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
One teensy request - please upload screenshots of the themes on the respective pages (as it is now, they all have the '?' instead of screenshots).
Yes, gonna do that but only when I'm on PC. It's paint to collect screenies with the device and upload 'em with it also.

And on my part the thumbing down was because those themes were in testing before PR1.2 came out and became promotable after (PR1.2 has new vkeyboard and old themes aren't compatible with it).

Edit: and probably I'm not gonna update those themes since I already have received complains about me flooding the repos with so many themes and making certain categories @ ham look ugly (why on earth we don't have a category called "themes"????).

This is why I started developing Plastic Theme Pack so I could deliver different schemes of one base theme in one package.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Last edited by d-iivil; 2010-08-01 at 16:59.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hum ... maybe ...

But to be honest, i didn't upload anything anymore to all maemo extras repositories ... and i use my own repository. And i ven't follow the actual problems of the M repositories.

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
i completely agree with d ivil. a themes repo would make it much much better.

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by te37v View Post
i completely agree with d ivil. a themes repo would make it much much better.
Not repo. Just category @ maemo-extras.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
Edit: and probably I'm not gonna update those themes since I already have received complains about me flooding the repos with so many themes and making certain categories @ ham look ugly (why on earth we don't have a category called "themes"????).
I find it odd that we don’t have a category for it. I don’t have high hopes, but I’ll file an enhancement request...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
Once again, IMHO, the 10 votes requirement is not a good thing. It makes the process a popularity contest instead of a QA process. It also somehow discourages authors and testers. Again, I've not seen any argument in favour of 10 instead (e.g) of 5 or 20.
That’s why we introduced super-testers. You can pass with less votes (not even 5, but 3), but then we need to be sure they come from people who have a proven track record. Also, you need to lobby for it a bit. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence, but as soon as you mentioned it, a testing-squad member jumped on it and voila, your package is in Extras.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
In my opinion the hurdle is to high to vote for a package (find it and you need a differend account) and the users are to lazy!!!

I collected 4 votes (all positive) within 2 months for my package. And the new version at extra devel was so stable and has so many new features and fixes... I promoted just before the coding competition the extra devel version to testing to avoid confusion. And so I have to get again thru the QA prozess.

I promoted the application at mwkn to vote for the new version in extra-testing. And I got a lot of feedback during the coding competition. People asking for new features, many compliments and over 20 votes at the competition. So, someone must have installed my application and has it in use.
I wrote it in several places here at talk.maemo.org and asked to vote for my package in extra-testing and in the end I got not a single vote for my package. And I'm to disappointed about this to ask every user per PM to vote for my package.

In the end it's fine for me. I can use my application myself. And when I look at blogs, news pages and here at maemo. Everywhere I can read: "get it from extra-devel".
So, why should someone vote when anyway all users are getting their applications from extra-devel?

In my opinion there should be some kind of blocking in the application manager. A annoying hurdle if the user wants to install something from there. They should want it themselves in extras instead of extra-devel!

EDIT: And I guess with xfade I had the last time a super-tester involved. If he is not ranked as super-tester, who then?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2010-08-01 at 20:41.