Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I really really really really really really REALLY hate to say this.
And I truly mean it.
Its like trying to spit out rotten food.

But chen...
take a real good hard look.

where is maemo now?

where is harmattan?

look at what happened with the ubuntu mobile...

tizen...tizen is another example...sure it's relatively new ..but it is a good example of great design ..with its os with almost zero follow through thus far with its repertoire of available apps. Tizen is primed for turbulent failure.

Jolla and Sailfish? ..."..." ....well...Jolla as Dave has pointed out has its problems...
sailfish os ? ...

I believe that in this world now...
for devices and operating systems...
and the software that run on them...
that there is precious little time or breathing room for error, mistakes, lack of foresight, poor design, poor implementation, extended delays, lack of or poor support, and communication issues....

I think it is great that you ...Chen....are kind and thoughtful enough of those around you to ask what os should be the choice.

And I will say this...as much as I absolutely hate to.

You have a winning product that has taken a great deal of your time and doubtlessly your resources thus far....
Don't squander it.

My best suggestion is this...

Go with Android.

It'll be a seller.

Then ...once you have all those android users buying it up...
The monstrous pool of Android users is where you should aim at.
Its your best and smartest bet from a marketing and sales standpoint...
Its just plain smart business...

Later as you count the money in the vault...
Then...
you have the chance, funds and most likely fearless backing from lenders... to take risks ..
and have the luxury of being able to take expected losses ...and at best ...(but unlikely) ...break even..
like aiming at os's with at most...a few hundred or a few thousand users to hope for sales from...
out of a desire to be philanthropic...

It's smart business Chen....
It should be Android OS .

(god I hate Android)

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
That's not true. Sailfish support even sticky shift + alt combination.
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
If I remember correctly, this is just a matter of which modifier is mapped to the key, at least I got sticky keys working last time I tried. Could/should be exposed in the interface, but if you're already remapping keys, a different Shift isn't much extra work.
Thank you for correcting me.
I'm happy to hear I was wrong on this topic.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
I would suggest to go with some Android and if possible ask Jolla what it would cost to add a Sailfish OS support as kickstarter/igg addon. Like you can buy a case, you could buy full , Jolla supported SFOS for it as well.
This would lower risk for the HW project profitability, but still keep options open.
Besides providing open HW solutions and using SoC already having some Linux support could warm many tmo users hearth.

I'm 99% I wouldn't buy it if only Android is available. My preference is currently SFOS (with alien) with an option to load Debian or similar, but I have a slight suspicion, that my needs don't completely match market trends.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Merienth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What about Tizen?
Absolutely NOT.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
From business point of view I would go for Android.

Personally, I wouldn't care as long as I can install a full-fledged distro anyway. That means open bootloader & firmware & drivers
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
You could gain some outstanding marketing feature by selling it with Dualboot.
Has it ever been done before, giving user the choice?

Android is kind of mandatory as many said before to get off the ground.

Sailfish could "come" by either sending prototypes or early models to voluntary and proven porters.
Maybe even ask/inform them in early stage about possible involvement and requirements from their side.

For Android support within sailfish, put actual (kickstarter perk?) money into AnBox project.

Only involve Jolla if they move first.
You are in no good position to get a good deal with them for a new device, like you have with the tablet, because they will have much work with adaption.
Unless they are genuinly interested by themselfes or you can show (grand) sales that is.

The other options are out of my humble scope to judge about.
But if you play and dokument as open as possible, what keeps hackers away from doing theyr thing?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Absolutely NOT.
That is bad. But atleast they are open source. I dare jolla to do the same so all code can be investigated. Im sure its not as solid as you might think.
Maybe we shall scrap tizen and sailfish and go for something androidish. The question is what...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-23 at 11:11.

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
So, about Nemo,

https://twitter.com/SamZaNemesis/sta...42950219071492

https://twitter.com/SamZaNemesis/sta...61367778942976

https://twitter.com/locusf/status/859023060145512449

We're currently in progress of overhauling the development away from being dependent on mer middleware development on qt side, which is done by jolla and using upstream instead.

This is taking time since it means we're going to have rely on something different to using mer tools, currently open embedded for building our images. OE/Yocto has much larger adaptation base and all of our software (meaning nemo community) has easy potential to be built on that.

We're not dead, far from it, things like these take time but there is potential far from what Sailfish could ever achieve, since all of our apps are open, not just the middleware.

Daily use has problems, certainly. We do lack developers to completely overhaul the software stack, no doubt. This doesn't mean we're dead. More good things are coming.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I'm not quoting since I was explicitly asked not to, but it's still important to point out that Tizen may be a very risky choice because of the numerous security flaws that come with it, see here and here.

[Edit] Burnt.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-23 at 14:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
I really really really really really really REALLY hate to say this.
And I truly mean it.
Its like trying to spit out rotten food.

But chen...
take a real good hard look.

where is maemo now?

where is harmattan?

look at what happened with the ubuntu mobile...

tizen...tizen is another example...sure it's relatively new ..but it is a good example of great design ..with its os with almost zero follow through thus far with its repertoire of available apps. Tizen is primed for turbulent failure.

Jolla and Sailfish? ..."..." ....well...Jolla as Dave has pointed out has its problems...
sailfish os ? ...

I believe that in this world now...
for devices and operating systems...
and the software that run on them...
that there is precious little time or breathing room for error, mistakes, lack of foresight, poor design, poor implementation, extended delays, lack of or poor support, and communication issues....

I think it is great that you ...Chen....are kind and thoughtful enough of those around you to ask what os should be the choice.

And I will say this...as much as I absolutely hate to.

You have a winning product that has taken a great deal of your time and doubtlessly your resources thus far....
Don't squander it.

My best suggestion is this...

Go with Android.

It'll be a seller.

Then ...once you have all those android users buying it up...
The monstrous pool of Android users is where you should aim at.
Its your best and smartest bet from a marketing and sales standpoint...
Its just plain smart business...

Later as you count the money in the vault...
Then...
you have the chance, funds and most likely fearless backing from lenders... to take risks ..
and have the luxury of being able to take expected losses ...and at best ...(but unlikely) ...break even..
like aiming at os's with at most...a few hundred or a few thousand users to hope for sales from...
out of a desire to be philanthropic...

It's smart business Chen....
It should be Android OS .

(god I hate Android)
Android? I forgive you for your moment of weakness....

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen