Notices

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Anagramarama

Like anagrams? You'll love Anagramarama! The aim is to find as many words as possible in the time available. Get the longest word and you'll advance to the next level.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Nice. This is the type of game that is perfect for the tablets. Quick pick up, quick loading, and fun. Just did a few trial games, other than the cramped screen (the input field covered by the list of used words), but that turns out to not even be a problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Won't install. Gets to "Preparing for installation, please wait" and then just hangs.

Any thoughts as to why that might be, or how to diagnose?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
other than the cramped screen (the input field covered by the list of used words), but that turns out to not even be a problem.
Yeah :/, but the alternative was to make the letters even more smaller than they already were and after seeing it was still perfectly playable after shifting the word list up - I thought it a better alternative.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Won't install. Gets to "Preparing for installation, please wait" and then just hangs.

Any thoughts as to why that might be, or how to diagnose?
That's evidently a problem with your tablet as it's installed fine (I assume) for many people. And the only script it runs during install is one that simply asks where the menu icon should go (if it's a new install only).

Try the old standby; apt-get install anagramarama.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Thanks, apt-get worked.

Perfect little game for the Tablet. (But it seems to "know" many words the dictionary has never heard of.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
"seems to 'know' many words the dictionary has never heard of"

My sentiments/observations exactly!

This is the problem with many freeware games which generate large dictionaries of incorrect words due to users who think that they know a word and add them.

Best bet would be to snag the dictionary in the application and then run it against a spell-checking in another program like Word. All words NOT in an official dictionary should then be stricken from the built-in dictionary.

Also it would be nice to have a toggle for the sound effects--the folks in the next cubicle are starting to wonder now! ;-)

Last edited by rdcinhou; 2009-04-12 at 11:49.

Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post

Best bet would be to snag the dictionary in the application and then run it against a spell-checking in another program like Word. All words NOT in an official dictionary should then be stricken from the built-in dictionary.
Qwerty12, there a way to do that?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Would it be possible to separate the checkmark and X buttons a little and make them bigger? Sometimes I think I hit the X instead of the checkmark and due to outside noises I couldn't hear the audio indicating I cancelled the guessed word.

Qwerty, is there a way to pull the dictionary our of the app (or is it a file somewhere already separated?)? I'd be glad to do try doing the spellcheck against it.

The dictionary is a simple ASCII text document with LF after each word.
http://coralquest.com/anagramarama/faq.html

You can change it by editing /usr/share/anagramarama/i18n/en_GB/wordlist.txt

I've been playing around with it to create a german dictionary and it worked perfectly for me, as long as the dictionary:
- was in alphabetical order
- contained no words longer than 7 characters
- didn't include any non-english characters

(not sure if all these conditions are neccessary, at least I know that umlauts didn't work for me)

Qwerty, first of all thanks a lot for bringing this game to maemo, I love it and it's a perfect match to the tablet!
The only thing that I'm missing is a way to switch languages. Could you maybe create an options menu, which would also allow to turn off sounds?

(If anybody is interested in the german dictionary, I'll gladly post it here.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Cathoagn For This Useful Post: