Active Topics

Notices

Robbie,

I dont know if the most of user think the same but, for me, would be even better if the timestamp of the resulting file shows the hour and minutes.

I love to try new apps and when doing this, I can make various backups in the same day. Without hour and minutes, the backups is replaced with the new one.

I managed to get this editing the date variable from %Y%m%d to %Y%m%d%H%M%.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joelteixeira For This Useful Post:
Hello.
I'm still stuck with PR1.3 and v048-3. After the message about dmssock in /tmp the tar gets to a size of around 275 Mb for rootfs in about 60 seconds, and then no changes. I tried to wait for 2000 seconds with no luck.

I'm ok to try some changes in the script, so don't hesitate to ask.

Originally Posted by joelteixeira View Post
Robbie,

I dont know if the most of user think the same but, for me, would be even better if the timestamp of the resulting file shows the hour and minutes.

I love to try new apps and when doing this, I can make various backups in the same day. Without hour and minutes, the backups is replaced with the new one.

sounds like a good idea i must say dude !!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Alright, so I've been looking around all the documentation I could find on the relevant subjects (and various relevant threads), for a few days now, and it's all rather convoluted and scattered.

So I figured I'd ask here: Is backup menu compatible with Multiboot? I want to eventually set up multiboot with powerkernel (whenever that gets patched for PR1.3), NITDroid and MeeGo. Having backupmenu would be great on top of that. As I understand it backupmenu installs bootmenu. Which near as I can tell is not the same thing as multiboot.

Is this correct? If I just install backupmenu from the repos, will I be able to just install multiboot over-that and have it override bootmenu? Vice-versa? If you don't know or don't feel like typing it out, is there some place where this is concisely answered you can link me to?

well all backed up on PR1.3 with no errors , off out to halloween party now so will flash it then try an restore an post results hopefully all goes well !

happy halloween every one

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Alright, so I've been looking around all the documentation I could find on the relevant subjects (and various relevant threads), for a few days now, and it's all rather convoluted and scattered.

So I figured I'd ask here: Is backup menu compatible with Multiboot? I want to eventually set up multiboot with powerkernel (whenever that gets patched for PR1.3), NITDroid and MeeGo. Having backupmenu would be great on top of that. As I understand it backupmenu installs bootmenu. Which near as I can tell is not the same thing as multiboot.

Is this correct? If I just install backupmenu from the repos, will I be able to just install multiboot over-that and have it override bootmenu? Vice-versa? If you don't know or don't feel like typing it out, is there some place where this is concisely answered you can link me to?
Backupmenu isn't compatible with multiboot out-of-the-box, though there's no real incompatibility between the two. Currently, there's some limitation with multiboot which prevent BackupMenu from working, and the BackupMenu package currently relies on bootmenu (which definitely isn't compatible with multiboot). From the looks of it, Pali has some updates to multiboot which fix things one way, I've also posted some patches here which fix multiboot another way. Either of those solutions will allow BackupMenu to work with multiboot (I'm running the two here without any issues).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
I've actually just got that working this morning.

I've made a patch with the changes required for multiboot (against 0.2.10 rather than 0.2.5, so may need some adjustments). It adds a new ITEM_SCRIPT parameter for the .item files, and stops the multiboot script from unmounting all the filesystems before running the script.

You also need to add a symlink for /bin/evkey in /usr/sbin (or edit the BackupMenu scripts to change the location). You can then add a multiboot entry with a ITEM_SCRIPT line pointing to the BackupMenu script.
Any chance you can write a step-by-step on how to do this for non-coders? I'm confident I could get this working too but not without the proper guidance. Thank you in advance!

Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
I'm having some problems now that I have upgraded to PR 1.3. Here's my sequence of events:

Under PR 1.2:

- followed install instructions that appeared on page 1 of this thread that involved using terminal and unpacking the backupmenu-20101022.tar.gz file (these instructions no longer appear on page 1)
- install and backup went fine
- subsequent backup failed as N900 would only boot into Maemo
- turned out for some reason I needed to re-install bootmenu-n900 (would only work via terminal not App Manager). After this, 2nd backup went fine
- updated to PR 1.3

Under PR 1.3

- backup of both Rootfs and Optfs got hung up on the Rootfs backup with the following error that appeared after 10 seconds:

./var/tmp/qcop-server-0: socket ignored

The size of the backup increased to 281.2M at 45 sec and nothing would happen after this, other than the time on the timer increasing. Tried a second time with the same results.

- Under App Manager, I then installed from extras-devel BackupMenu ver. 0.32-1
- tried another backup of both Rootfs and Optfs with the same error and same result as above

Any clue as to why this is happening or what can be done?

Thank you.
Also getting this problem, was stuck on 253.4m, rm-rf'd /var/tmp/* and /tmp/*, now stuck on 253.5m, desperately need this working as am supposed to be sending my n900 off to be replaced...

Cheers Robbie

Edit: I don't get any error, it just hangs...

Last edited by Wichall; 2010-10-31 at 23:37.

Update: Also does it when backing up only optfs...

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by joelteixeira View Post
I vote for changing current

YYYYMMDD-backup-optfs.tar

to

YYMMDD-HHMM-o.tar

It's easier to read and shorter. I see no reason to add "backup" or entire "rootfs/optfs" to the name.

Also, the new version still has the "procede" typo in the menus - should be "proceed".

And finally, tested backup and restore (I crashed it again). It's all on the level.

What is so different in other people's systems their /tmp breaks it?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system