Active Topics

Does anyone know if this issue
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/09...es-less-memory
is present in the microb browser engine? And if it is whether fixing it would help with the fact that adblock plus on microb is such a resource hog?

i would guess yes as one of the bugs has existed for 14 years. not sure how easy it would be to fix. firstly maemo uses prerelease of v3.6 iirc vs v41, so probably wouldn't apply cleanly. secondly, does it depend on something else thats missing in our code base.

one thing i did was to combine adblock with marmistrz's command line tool for host file blocking. its the only way i can access fb without it constantly crashing or locking up device.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Australia
Any way of porting uBlock?

Desktop wise, 'uBlock' has been mentioned on reddit several times as being more light weight than 'adblock plus'.

The Following User Says Thank You to mike727 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
What works better for me is drop AddBlock just turn off Javascript untill it is really really needed.

GenWall firewall could help you maybe to block some of the adds on lower level but it looks a little bit too pro for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
What works better for me is drop AddBlock just turn off Javascript untill it is really really needed.
Totally agree. i switched javascript off and now microb is fast n not hogging up system resources. have to switch it off tho when using powersearch on maemo.org

What I did was to switch off Flash, this has helped with a number of sites that run Flash-powered ads that can really slow down the device. Don't care about actual sites using Flash since I never visit such things on my phone, YouTube included

Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
What I did was to switch off Flash, this has helped with a number of sites that run Flash-powered ads that can really slow down the device. Don't care about actual sites using Flash since I never visit such things on my phone, YouTube included
To tell the truth, my N900 with MicroB is so much more usable and quick than in 2009 - 2010..

In those days I told myself that I had to use flash, had to use full featured javascript website and I found it only normal to overclock the device to speed it up just a little... While waiting for the next N1000x device that would bring the speed up to desktop level.

Now I don't care anymore for above mentioned features.

Thanks to MS we learn to expect less and feel happy with what we have got

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
To tell the truth, my N900 with MicroB is so much more usable and quick than in 2009 - 2010..

In those days I told myself that I had to use flash, had to use full featured javascript website and I found it only normal to overclock the device to speed it up just a little... While waiting for the next N1000x device that would bring the speed up to desktop level.

Now I don't care anymore for above mentioned features.
Amen!

Thanks to MS we learn to expect less and feel happy with what we have got
Blaming everything on MS was "in" a decade ago. You crusaders and Don Quixotes really need to wake up. I would suggest finding a new "man" to "stick it to", except that now there is not a single "man" but a whole world of them.

The overuse of Flash and JavaScript has nothing to do with MS but is down to the commercialization of the internet at large.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Amen!

Blaming everything on MS was "in" a decade ago. You crusaders and Don Quixotes really need to wake up. I would suggest finding a new "man" to "stick it to", except that now there is not a single "man" but a whole world of them.

The overuse of Flash and JavaScript has nothing to do with MS but is down to the commercialization of the internet at large.
Actually I was only making a joke about the positive side effects of the chain of events that MS has steered and why I now am still on N900 figuring out javascript and flash was always a bad idea and to some extend also adblock.

Now that you mention it, it is longer than a decade ago that blaming MS was "in" and that I had to spend countless hours trying to free memory above 640K to get this or that feature going in my game.

Now it is a good joke and truly, thanks to MS I am now double happy with the N900 the one full featured device that slipped out into the world under their watchful eyes and by so doing sealed its fate and end of bloodline. MS did it, period , incompetence and admiration of cold corporate financial logic let it happen.

If it wasn't for MS I would still be trying to run Javascript on the N900's successor or 2nd successor and it would never ever run fast enough.

Sticking it to the man MS has nothing to do with being "in" or "hip" in my opinion.
As long as MS continues to buy my preferred services like Hotmail in 200x and Skype in 2001x or rip apart my favorite Linux phone and upcoming point and shoot camera company, Nokia, I reserve the right to blame them for diminished standards of life.
Complaining about wars or weapons of mass destruction was also ten years ago, oh and terrorism, let's just stop paying attention and move on with our lives.

Agree, Flash and JavaScript were the most overused thing since sliced bread.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
on a freshly flasshed n900 both the startup time of the phone and microb are somewhat bearable also setting tracker cfg to low for devices with lot of stuff to index helps disabling javascript helps too

the problem is on a n900 there is nothing like microb so we keep using it god knows when there will be a update to microb that improves things qml browser just looks asthetically similar to microb nothing more for now .On the other hand compare devlopment of omp calander clockui mce etc that one using them wont want to revert back
and the browser is just a pita compared to 450 mhz symbian devices.