Active Topics

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
i can call from aliendalvik with no problems since i bought a phone
I'm sorry, i guess i should've been more precise. Some android apps (like baby monitor) can make a call to a desired number. But if an android app starts a cellular call, SFOS wants confirmation by the user, making the app useless.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
well, you need a patch to sfos, not aliendalvik.

v1.0.8

Added new settings:
- Enable/disable touch sounds
- Allow mock gps location
- Enable/disable installation non-store apks

Added eventsview toggle to show/hide android navigation bar quickly

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
really great app right now. i will donate a beer,cause it is fantastic. and also with mock location,that i was waiting.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
hey Coderus, sometimes the Reset android handler button doesn't work, and you have to manually edit the /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache file as described in the post by Robomike here:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...post-id-143267

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Thank you coderus. Android bar toggle works perfectly. Send you a small donation for your work

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
well, you need a patch to sfos, not aliendalvik.
yep.. seems logical. well i have no knowledge of patching whatsoever. do you already have a patch that does just that?

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I am having a major problem with this app/modification and every time I try it, I really regret doing so. Maybe someone (coderus?) could tell me what I'm doing wrong. Sorry for an upcoming lengthy post, but I'll try to describe the problem as detailed as possible to avoid confusion.

My workflow:
  • I use AlienDalvik very exceptionally. I have only 3-5 apps installed and the ones that are being used (on an irregular basis) are only F-Droid and OsmAnd.
  • I have AlienDalvik disabled 95% of the time and want to keep it that way.
  • I have Firefox for Android installed just in case some website doesn't work well in Sailfish Browser, but I haven't used it for months.
  • I use Sailfish Browser and have no intention to use any Android Browser as my primary one.
  • I would like to have the navigation bar hidden in Android apps.
  • I hate the touch sound in Android apps, so I'd like to have it disabled as well.

Every once in a while when I see an update for AlienDalvik Control in Warehouse, I go through these steps:
  1. "Oh, great, I can disable the navigation bar and touch sounds!"
  2. "I wonder why I uninstalled it the last time, but I'll install it now."
  3. All my currently installed Android apps stop working after the installation. "Oh, I see why I uninstalled it. But let's reinstall all Android apps, it's not that big of a problem."
  4. I reinstall the Android apps, they now seem to be working, so I redownload all OsmAnd maps.
  5. I open a link from somewhere and instead of opening Sailfish Browser, it shows some Android dialog. Remember that I like to have AlienDalvik turned off for 95% of the time, so this is a big inconvenience.
  6. I uninstall Firefox for Android in order to get rid of this dialog. No success, opening a link still launches AlienDalvik.
  7. "This is it." - I remove AlienDalvik Control.
  8. Opening a link now opens a random Android app, instead of opening Sailfish Browser.
  9. "This is it!!!" - I remove all Android apps and delete AlienDalvik.
  10. Things now work as they should.
  11. Later, I need maps for a trip, so I download AlienDalvik, F-Droid and OsmAnd.
  12. All links now open in OsmAnd, instead of Sailfish Browser. "****!"

Sure, maybe my workflow is not the ideal one for AlienDalvik Control, but there is at least something wrong with its uninstall scripts, as now I ended up with unusable AlienDalvik, as all links open in OsmAnd... I didn't want my links open in anything else than Sailfish Browser in the first place. This has been happening to me both on Jolla 1 and Jolla C.

Thanks for reading till the end and I hope it brings some valuable feedback. If nothing else, it could serve me as a reminder to refresh my memory before trying to install AlienDalvik Control again

Last edited by nodevel; 2016-09-11 at 10:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
hey Coderus, sometimes the Reset android handler button doesn't work, and you have to manually edit the /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache file as described in the post by Robomike here:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...post-id-143267
This button reset default application in android, not sfos. For sfos install Mimer.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I am having a major problem with this app/modification and every time I try it, I really regret doing so. Maybe someone (coderus?) could tell me what I'm doing wrong. Sorry for an upcoming lengthy post, but I'll try to describe the problem as detailed as possible to avoid confusion.

My workflow:
  • I use AlienDalvik very exceptionally. I have only 3-5 apps installed and the ones that are being used (on an irregular basis) are only F-Droid and OsmAnd.
  • I have AlienDalvik disabled 95% of the time and want to keep it that way.
  • I have Firefox for Android installed just in case some website doesn't work well in Sailfish Browser, but I haven't used it for months.
  • I use Sailfish Browser and have no intention to use any Android Browser as my primary one.
  • I would like to have the navigation bar hidden in Android apps.
  • I hate the touch sound in Android apps, so I'd like to have it disabled as well.

Every once in a while when I see an update for AlienDalvik Control in Warehouse, I go through these steps:
  1. "Oh, great, I can disable the navigation bar and touch sounds!"
  2. "I wonder why I uninstalled it the last time, but I'll install it now."
  3. All my currently installed Android apps stop working after the installation. "Oh, I see why I uninstalled it. But let's reinstall all Android apps, it's not that big of a problem."
  4. I reinstall the Android apps, they now seem to be working, so I redownload all OsmAnd maps.
  5. I open a link from somewhere and instead of opening Sailfish Browser, it shows some Android dialog. Remember that I like to have AlienDalvik turned off for 95% of the time, so this is a big inconvenience.
  6. I uninstall Firefox for Android in order to get rid of this dialog. No success, opening a link still launches AlienDalvik.
  7. "This is it." - I remove AlienDalvik Control.
  8. Opening a link now opens a random Android app, instead of opening Sailfish Browser.
  9. "This is it!!!" - I remove all Android apps and delete AlienDalvik.
  10. Things now work as they should.
  11. Later, I need maps for a trip, so I download AlienDalvik, F-Droid and OsmAnd.
  12. All links now open in OsmAnd, instead of Sailfish Browser. "****!"

Sure, maybe my workflow is not the ideal one for AlienDalvik Control, but there is at least something wrong with its uninstall scripts, as now I ended up with unusable AlienDalvik, as all links open in OsmAnd... I didn't want my links open in anything else than Sailfish Browser in the first place. This has been happening to me both on Jolla 1 and Jolla C.

Thanks for reading till the end and I hope it brings some valuable feedback. If nothing else, it could serve me as a reminder to refresh my memory before trying to install AlienDalvik Control again
Listed problems should not happen for sure

Please tell, where you opening links? In android application or sailfish? Try ty use Mimer and reset web browser to Sailfish one.

For applications what can't be started please send me desktop file of your application before installing aliendalvik controls, after installation, and after uninstallation. I will check if there any problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:

Tags
aliendalvik, browser, mimehandler