Notices

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
I noticed something on your TODO list for Sailfish I could help with. I took the liberty to use your svg and put it into shape. Hope you like it. If there's anything I should change, feel free to ask.
Attached Files
File Type: zip modrana_icon_SFOS.zip (6.7 KB, 100 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
I noticed something on your TODO list for Sailfish I could help with. I took the liberty to use your svg and put it into shape. Hope you like it. If there's anything I should change, feel free to ask.
Thanks a lot! I like the icon - I've just made the background a bit lighter (to improve contrast with the back transportation mode pictograms) and integrated the icon in modRana.

I've released modRana 0.53.5, which uses the icon on Sailfish OS & updated the OpenRepos package.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
modRana 0.52.3 has been released!
Did this happen?

Perhaps I was looking the other way ... away from my device at the mo'

HA

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
modRana 0.52.3 has been released!
Did this happen?
Eh?

MartinK helpfully provided, in the very post you quoted, a link to the OpenRepos modRana page where you could have checked it yourself!

If you are asking about the Maemo incarnation, well, it seems to have been abandoned The last update was on 10-Oct-2015 (again easily checkable).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Eh?

MartinK helpfully provided, in the very post you quoted, a link to the OpenRepos modRana page where you could have checked it yourself!

If you are asking about the Maemo incarnation, well, it seems to have been abandoned The last update was on 10-Oct-2015 (again easily checkable).
I think this may actually be legitimate confusion about version numbers. The version 0.52.3 that handaxe asks about is mentioned in a post from last month, but doesn't appear in openrepos list of rpms or in the changelog there. I suspect it's just a typo in MartinK's post -- and that v. 0.53.3 was meant -- rather than a version that appeared and slipped away some time in the past year.

Whatever the version, though, I'm always happy to see this app get updates, and I'm eager to try out the local OSM scout server option sometime soon(TM). Looks to be easier to manage local maps than in the N900 version of modrana -- I'm never quite sure I'm downloading what I need there. (Wish Scout Server had US units in addition to Metric and Imperial, but what's a fractional mm in a mile between friends, I guess. I'm not surveying, here.)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Eh?

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I think this may actually be legitimate confusion about version numbers. The version 0.52.3 that handaxe asks about is mentioned in a post from last month, but doesn't appear in openrepos list of rpms or in the changelog there. I suspect it's just a typo in MartinK's post -- and that v. 0.53.3 was meant -- rather than a version that appeared and slipped away some time in the past year.
Oh, right - that's a typo, the current latest modRana version series is indeed 53.x.

Well, not really - I just haven't got to test some of the new stuff on my N900, which I see as a precondition to releasing a new version. Once I get to that I'll also release a new version for the N900.

Of course it is indeed not an easy task to write an application that works on the N900 (Python 2.5 & GTK2), mobile platforms like Sailfish OS (Python 3.4 & Qt 5.2/Silica) and modern Linux distros like Fedora (Python 3.6 & Qt 5.7/QtQuick Controls).

So it might happen I'll drop support for the N900 at some time in the future, but not yet as AFAIK there are still quite a few N900 users around.

Actually I guess modRana might be the last actively maintained navigation software for the N900.

Whatever the version, though, I'm always happy to see this app get updates, and I'm eager to try out the local OSM scout server option sometime soon(TM). Looks to be easier to manage local maps than in the N900 version of modrana -- I'm never quite sure I'm downloading what I need there. (Wish Scout Server had US units in addition to Metric and Imperial, but what's a fractional mm in a mile between friends, I guess. I'm not surveying, here.)
Yeah, it's always quite hard to make sure to download all you need to use tiled online maps offline. BTW, even with OSM Scout Server the tiles still have the same projection so if you have internet connectivity at the given moment you can use the SOM Scout Server layers together with online layers, such as a weather forecast layer, traffic situation layer, etc.

BTW, I plan to add support for the other OSM Scout Server features (POI lookup & routing) quite soon (TM).

Also in the future there might be an online repository (or even a network of repositories) for the OSM Scout Server data - kinda similar to the existing one for the Mona offline routing data. That should make using OSM Scout Server as data provider for modRana (and Poor Maps & others) much easier.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
(Wish Scout Server had US units in addition to Metric and Imperial, but what's a fractional mm in a mile between friends, I guess. I'm not surveying, here.)
Since mile is the same for imperial and US units, only imperial (traditional) is named. You could read it as US, if you wish. Or submit a translation for the server with only Imperial translated into US

The server uses these units only in its own interface. This is needed to adjust the routing speeds and few other distance-related parameters.

When interfacing with the clients (modRana and Poor Maps), SI units are always used. Its a client that is showing you it in SI, US, or Imperial units. So, I presume that its modRana which would have to convert it...

Also in the future there might be an online repository (or even a network of repositories) for the OSM Scout Server data - kinda similar to the existing one for the Mona offline routing data. That should make using OSM Scout Server as data provider for modRana (and Poor Maps & others) much easier.
Yes, this I hope will get resolved. I am working on improving the server search and the solution that I work on would require some hard-to-generate databases which would be better to distribute via specialized servers. But I will write about it a bit more when ready.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
modRana 0.54.1 has been released!

This finally brings brings some substantial features.

improved map display
Map display should be now much more fluid & optimized. There should be no flickering ever and fresh tiles will now be loaded even during panning. Also thanks yet again to woot for suggestions on how to improve map drawing in modRana which made this possible!

high DPI handling improvements
The modRana UI should now finally look right on high DPI devices such as the Jolla C, the Jolla Tablet, Intex Aquafish, ported devices with high DPI displays, etc.

track recording visualisation
ModRana now draws a trace on the map when recording a tracklog. So you can easily check where you went, that track recording is running and/or how horrible the position data reported by mobile GPS receivers actually is.

showing tracklogs on the map
As of 0.54.1 modRana can finally show stored tracklogs on the map! There is now a new "List" option in the Tracks menu, which leads to a listing of locally stored tracklog categories. By default there are two tracklogs in the examples category and tracklogs you have recorded in the logs category. ModRana should be also able to display any other valid GPX tracklogs stored in one of the category folders. You can see the path to the modRana tracklog folder in the Track->Record menu. In the future there should be a more user friendly option to import tracklog files through a open-file dialog & options for tracklog management (change category, rename, remove).

Changelog

Code:

- much better looking, more fluid & more optimized map display
- modRana should now look much better on high-DPI devices (Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Intex Aquafish, etc.)
- a trace is now drawn on the map when recording a tracklog
- stored GPX tracklogs can be (finally!) displayed on the map
- map scaling has been fixed
Get it!

OpenRepos
Jolla Store - in a few days
N900 package - Soon!(tm) - As most of the recent changes are related to the Qt 5 UI not available on the N900 I currently see other things as a priority.
Minix - not likely

Last edited by MartinK; 2017-01-31 at 01:20.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
modRana 0.54.2 has been released !
Because why not!

Changelog
Code:
- OSM Scout Server can now be used for place search
- OSM Scout Server can now be used for local search
- OSM Scout Server can now be used for routing
Also thanks to otsaloma for devising the simple yet universal algorithm for describing POIs returned OSM Scout Server POI, which modRana now also uses!

Screenshots

Last edited by MartinK; 2017-01-31 at 02:19.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Guate
I really like it as it looks modrana now, with full support to OSM Scout Server = )

Last edited by karlos devel; 2017-01-31 at 04:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karlos devel For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps