Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by fgullama View Post
Thanks Karel... In all my time tinkering with the N800, I never knew that! I also discovered (as I'm sure you already know) that dragging down seems to emulate the return key, and dragging left and right snaps the cursor left and right one space. I can't believe I never noticed that!
I do know about those other gestures, but I kinda debate their usefullness, as the keys they emulate are on the thumbboard permanently as it is anyway. I'd much rather have seen emulations for accents. As it is, I have to hit the caps key for an accent grave anyway, and a circumflex is AFAIK completely impossible with the thumbboard.

On a semi-related note, I seem to remember being able to adjust the touch screen sensitivity somewhere... I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm using (I believe) the latest N810 OS on my N800 (RX-44_2008SE_1.2007.42-19_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM). Any ideas?

Thanks!
I'm sorry, I'm still on an ancient version of ITOS2007 and know nothing about 2008 anyway.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
As it is, I have to hit the caps key for an accent grave anyway, and a circumflex is AFAIK completely impossible with the thumbboard.
Karel:
- on the small stylus keyboard under "Tools - Settings" choose one of your languages to be "Français - (France)" and select it.
- the next time you bring up the thumb keyboard you will find both the accent grave and circumflex available.

['azerty' keyboard]

PS: doing this also allows access to these accents when using 'character' handwriting recognition
[thanks to krisse]

Last edited by ichmoimeyo; 2007-12-02 at 19:02.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Gestures (from http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howtoinputmethod770/)

Gesture is a movement of stylus over the virtual keyboard when the stylus is down. Currently is supports following gestures: * space gesture: tap and hold stylus, move it horizontaly right. This will enter a space as soon as the stylus moves far enough horizontally right. * return gesture: tap and hold stylus, move it vertically down and then release. Upon release it will enter a return, e.g. go to next line or to next text entry. * alternative case gesture: tap and hold stylus on top of some character on VKB, move it vertically up and then release. Upon release it will enter alternative case of the character on which this gesture was performed. If the VKB was in lowercase, then the uppercase of the character will get entered and vice versa. * multiple backspace gesture: tap and hold stylus, move it horizontaly left, then back right, then back left, .... This will delete one character on every direction change. I.e. repeat this zig-zag movement 10 times and 10 characters will get deleted.

@Karel: Maybe thumbs do better sometimes with gestures, but nevertheless it is not very convenient to switch to thumbs with two styli in hands. It should be configurable whether uppercase and other modes switch back or not, I miss an easy way to configure the layout etc. etc. A lot of potential for improvements ;-) If i only had time...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by ichmoimeyo View Post
Karel:
- on the small stylus keyboard under "Tools - Settings" choose one of your languages to be "Français - (France)" and select it.
- the next time you bring up the thumb keyboard you will find both the accent grave and circumflex available.

['azerty' keyboard]

[PS: doing this also allows access to these accents when using 'character' handwriting recognition]
Well spotted, but it's really not a solution for me. I use Dutch and English and -- surprizingly! -- accented words do crop up in both languages, albeit more often in Dutch. Also, I hate AZERTY.

Does anyone think the iPhone-like keyboard that the Canola guys put together would be better than the standard finger on-screen keyboard? Any news on whether that will be made available to the public (perhaps they already did and I didn't notice it). I imagine there might be patent/copyright/whatever issues, but it did look promising.

http://andrunko.blogspot.com/2007/11...on-canola.html

Originally Posted by gammer View Post
@Karel: Maybe thumbs do better sometimes with gestures, but nevertheless it is not very convenient to switch to thumbs with two styli in hands. It should be configurable whether uppercase and other modes switch back or not, I miss an easy way to configure the layout etc. etc. A lot of potential for improvements ;-) If i only had time...
I think that should be printed on every Internet Tablet box: "A lot of potential for improvements". It's both nice and sad as a motto...

I think the thumb keyboard is pretty good. I'd love to see some slight mods to it though:
1) The virtual keyboard shoud be a transparrent overlay over whatever you are busy with. Then you would be able to, for instance, follow a conversation in GAIM while type.
2) The ENTER key seems to do a CTRL-LF instead of an enter. So typing in Skype is a bit of a nuisance - one has to type, then leave the thumb board, then pull up the stylus board again to click enter and send the text. A pain. (Or maybe I'm doing it wrong)
3) I found that in some apps (I think notepad/Maemopad+/browser ) ot sometimes gets confused and starts duplication long paragraphs.
4) The predictive text is fair, but could be improved in this way: When typing a long word, say 'communication' - by the time I have typed 'comm' it predicts 'community'. Now this is not the word I want, so I keep typing. After another keystroke I have 'commu'. The N800 should now realise that I don't want community, and try something else, but it keeps proposing community until I get to communic, at which time it switches - a full three keystrokes late. Or is ther maybe a different way to do this with gestures (eg) that will flip through various suggestions?

I put together my own solution. Looks terrible, but works quite well:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12619

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
...With 2 stylus pens I can write quite fast...
why had I not thought of that

Maybe thumbs do better sometimes with gestures, but nevertheless it is not very convenient to switch to thumbs with two styli in hands. It should be configurable whether uppercase and other modes switch back or not, I miss an easy way to configure the layout etc. etc. A lot of potential for improvements ;-) If i only had time...
Originally Posted by pieter_jh View Post
I think the thumb keyboard is pretty good. I'd love to see some slight mods to it though:
1) The virtual keyboard shoud be a transparrent overlay over whatever you are busy with. Then you would be able to, for instance, follow a conversation in GAIM while type.
You could add your thoughts in reference to the thumb keyboard layout and transparency here.

Last edited by ichmoimeyo; 2007-12-02 at 19:54.

Let's not confuse suggested retail price with sale price (at e.g. buy.com). The suggested retail price for n800 is not much lower than that of the n810.