Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I see what you are doing right there...

Love glonass...locks so much faster. We'll done jolla.

By the way. Jolla spec updated with some small things.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-10-04 at 16:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Love glonass...locks so much faster.
Well, you are not correct here. Just all GLONASS receivers are also able to receive GPS signals, so the coverage is just a little bit better. And GLONASS is created mostly for Russia, so the coverage in other world could be "good & better" for about 92% of the day and in some areas it is about 80%. Also the accuracy of GPS is better.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
How do you know I'm not correct? IT is great in europé or samsung creating much better gps than the rest. I think its glonass(additional satellites to GPS), not samsung. And you are right, but there are apps to count Numbers of satellite and lock time. Try them to see if yout location can use glonass to improve or not.

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-10-04 at 17:16.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Currently the specs page shows that:
5-point multi-touch with Gorilla 2™ Glass
Did the page show '6-points' when they were initially revealed?
Hmm.. are we going to lose something else from now 'til when the device will be released?

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
The Jolla guys couldn't get multitasking to work properly on N900 nor N9. Why do you think they will get it right now with 1gb of RAM????
Oh really??? And im thinking to my self how do i use 6-7 apps simultaneously daily. The micrasoft guys couldn't even dare to try it.

im not even hoping anymore, i'm saying that it will be better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Artyom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands
It still says 6-point multitouch. I don't know where you've read it would be 5-point, but I can't find it.

Damn it I want that point back

Not if you scroll down @ jolla.com

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-10-04 at 17:29.

Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
this RAM argument is actually funny. i don't think the slowdowns of n9 is because of ram. not even close in my opinion. i don't know the exact reason (maybe the cpu?) but RAM amount is definitely not the case.
Maybe try to disable swap-memory, and see then if there is enough RAM still?

In Android, if an app is well written, it can resume from the pause stage as well at it could resume from swapped stage in an OS where swap memory is enabled. But there is lazy coders both in Android and outside Android.

In Android SGS3, I find 1 GB RAM is not enough,
when I have Firefox with 10 tabs open, and for example music player (mp3, ac4, vorbis) in the bacground playing music and I want to take a photo with the camera. After the photo has been taken and I return to Firefox, I notice it hasn't stayed alive in the background but gone to Androids "pause"-stage, because FF has failed to keep the session data alive for some web-page. (FF could do better though.)

Doing the same with Galaxy S4 (2 GB RAM) does not put a FF with 10 tabs to pause stage but it stays alive. So extra 1 GB RAM in S4 helps in this use case. I haven't checked how much extra RAM over 1 GB would actually work. And yes, FF for Android is abit bloated.

The problem manifests itself also when PasswdSafe application is used with FF which has ~10 tabs open. Sometimes when there are also other apps open in the background, happens this:
1) a web page requires a login+password.
2) I open PasswdSafe and give the master password.
3) Username is fetched from PasswdSafe-app,
4) then pasted to FF,
5) then password for the site is wanted to be copied from the PasswdSafe, but the app has been pause'd in the background, and when resumed the app "behaves badly" and asks for the main password, again.
The app PasswdSafe doesn't actually behave badly, because it cannot really trust filesystem and keep the encrypted password database open during the Android pause-stage. It could not trust the swap-partition either if the process would be swapped there. I do not remember how in N900 this was, was PasswdSafe allowed to be swapped out.

Ofcourse, having 10 tabs and web sites open in Firefox may not be the smart thing to do. But I tend to forgot I am using a phone and not a PC. People use tabs also in mobile devices just because they can.

Now in the Jolla's first device, when both Qt and Android stacks are loaded and a user multitasks both Android apps and Qt apps, having just 1 GB may cause problems.

Also when using multiwindow multitasking in Android devices, it helps to have more RAM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ4iQudfdSk (2m 16s)
I must say, Galaxy Note3 (3 GB RAM) has the best multi tasking currently as seen in the video. Note3 can run Qt-apps as well.

Multiwindow+multitasking is something which should be in Sailfish also eventually.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
IT is great in europé or samsung creating much better gps than the rest.
In Europe? Then our hopes are on Galileo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo..._navigation%29

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Oh really??? And im thinking to my self how do i use 6-7 apps simultaneously daily. The micrasoft guys couldn't even dare to try it.

im not even hoping anymore, i'm saying that it will be better.
Sure you can open 6-1000 apps and then it will freeze, lag, reboot and eventually you need to reopen the windows and close others. It was never STABLE multitasking. You can't put out a device today that is not stable. Beta efforts of the likes of N900 and N9 are history in this industry.