Notices

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
cpufreqUI is a graphical userspace application designed to assist CPU frequency scaling using Linux kernel cpufreq subsystem. Is gives user the ability to set the maximum and minimum CPU frequency from the range available for CPU (but it can not overclock the device). This program can help save battery life or maximize CPU performance when needed.

By default only 600MHz 550MHz 500MHz and 250MHz frequencies are available. But if you are using overclocked kernel then more frequencies will be available.

You can also select CPU governor. Using ondemand governor system will select frequency depending on current load. Selected frequency acts as a maximum limit. If userspace governor is selected then CPU will always work at selected frequency.

Using ondemand governor you can also select up_threshold and sampling_rate values – system load and time at this load when system will switch to a higher frequency. You can also select ignore_nice_load for calculating system load.

SmartReflex can be turned on to save battery life.

On Status tab current temperature is displayed.

You can download the program at:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/cpufrequi/
.deb package is built using old SDK and Qt 4.5.

Program is also in extras-devel but maemo auto-builder is using new PR 1.2 SDK so to use that package you will have to wait for new firmware.

You have to reboot after installation for program to work.

Last edited by @SR; 2010-04-15 at 06:56.

The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to @SR For This Useful Post:
sounds very nice!
if we also could have a tab where we can play with the voltages (if such a kernel is installed) then that part would also be way easier to use.

where does this program safe the stuff?
is it permanent? if so is there a button revert to default?

Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
sounds very nice!
if we also could have a tab where we can play with the voltages (if such a kernel is installed) then that part would also be way easier to use.

where does this program safe the stuff?
is it permanent? if so is there a button revert to default?
I have not tested kernel with voltage selection yet. But when I have time I will test it and add maybe voltage selection to program.

Program does not save changes. All changes are lost after reboot. But in next version I will make it possible to make changes permanent. And there will be a button added to restore default settings (right now there are not so many options to change so I forgot that this button might be useful right now).

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
sweet app, just great!!! Thanks! needed if youre overclocking for sure !!

although it doesnt seem to save the settings, maybe due to the fact ive modified my pmconfig file..

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-04-15 at 06:41.

Forgot to mention that you have to reboot after installation for program to work.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
Thanks a lot. Seems to work without any problems on my "ideal" kernel.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Portugal
Maybe it can be space to set the Min. Freq. too

Noob questions...

What are the default N900 settings for all these parameters, esp. the governor and SmartReflex?

Might be nice to control the scheduler, too.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Can you explain a bit more on the sampling rate, up threshold, ignore nice load and smartreflex? What do they actually do and what`s the best settings in your opinion.

Also, whats the upper temprerature limit of the N900?40c?50c?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:
The feature that you call smartreflex is actually called vdd auto compensation. Smartreflex is a marketing name for all power saving techniques, including voltage and frequency scaling, VDD auto compensation which reduces leakage, and a few others.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.