Notices

not sure what you mean - openvpn has a client app for the n900, and also a GUI front end that lets you control the connection from the phone's status menu. You can download them from the repo's.

openvpn is also available for linux/windows, just download & install. It comes with sample conf files, how you tweak them depends on what you want to achieve - the ones in my first post are specific to my own requirements but would serve as a guide if you have a similar setup in mind.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
haven't tried it, but I presume adding an up or route-up in the client .conf file to call a script with the mount command within it would work? may require route-delay too to cover timing issues.
I was hoping something like this

Run Connect/Disconnect/Preconnect Scripts
-----------------------------------------

There are three diffrent scripts that OpenVPN GUI can execute to help
with diffrent tasks like mapping network drives.

Preconnect If a file named "xxx_pre.bat" exist in the config folder
where xxx is the same as your OpenVPN config file name,
this will be executed BEFORE the OpenVPN tunnel is established.

Connect If a file named "xxx_up.bat" exist in the config folder
this will be executed AFTER the OpenVPN tunnel is established.

Disconnect If a file named "xxx_down.bat" exist in the config folder
this will be executed BEFORE the OpenVPN tunnel is closed.

as specified in
http://openvpn.se/install.txt

anything like this?

that applies to a windows version of the openvpn GUI (it uses .bat files). I don't know if the openvpn GUI/applet on the n900 supports autorun of shell scripts with appropriate naming, you'd need to check that with the maintainer. If not, using the up/route-up directives in the .conf file like I said should hopefully do what you want, as they also provide the means to run any desired commands from a shell script after the vpn connection has been established and route(s) are set up.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
Anyway, I sorted it out - though can't 100% say HOW I did so - but thanks anyway for the feedback, appreciated :-)
sorry i'm a bit late - here's how i worked around that issue, maybe it's of some help to you (or at least makes it clearer why it works now ).
basically, i make sure the N900 has a valid route to my VPN server, and then define that server's gateway as default gateway. works like a charm

Originally Posted by getnani View Post
I was hoping something like this
Run Connect/Disconnect/Preconnect Scripts
just create shell scripts at an appropriate location, make them executable (obviously), and reference them in your client config (as pigro does - "up" and "down" are in fact references to scripts being called).
check the openvpn documentation for "scripting variables".

oh, and you _have_ to set "script-security 2", otherwise no scripts will be called.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post: