Notices

Poll: Is this thread useful ?
Poll Options
Is this thread useful ?

Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
-> Suppose a person wants to install some software from extras-devel, he can just come here and see what has been posted against that app here ..

-> People who have already tested out other software which is not mentioned here, can post their feedback ..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what the QA Queue (http://maemo.org/packages/repository...xtras-testing/) is for?

That said, it has just taken me an age to find it, even though I knew about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaark For This Useful Post:
Fring isn't bad, but it will crash if you don't have connection already open. Also, I found navigation a bit hard, as if you close a chat, it won't reopen.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
dont get me wrong

but I see this as a pointless exercise. The system of voting for an app is in place and I can see a lot of app developers going around requesting for votes which shouldnt be the case.

why not spend your time by testing the app if you have downloaded it , then go and vote for it, or comment about it in maemo.org/packages section for the app.

that way the developer gets his comments for improvement , chances are you get your fixes sooner, and all future downloaders have enough info about the goods/bads of the app in one place.

this is just my opinion, you are of course free to carry on with a thread !

cheers

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
Currency converter crashed my device

Originally Posted by gLobster View Post
Really? I'm the author of Currency Converter. Could you be more specific? Please use this thread for support.

Thanks

Last edited by Sasler; 2010-01-27 at 12:27.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jaark View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what the QA Queue (http://maemo.org/packages/repository...xtras-testing/) is for?

yes, there is a link to that in the wiki page (should be more visible though)

from there one can just look at the karma, its imo far better way than someones 10secs of testing + recommendation to this thread...

once again: double work.

it's ok if you do testing first like described at wiki article and after that write couple remarks about the software here.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
The point is that on thhe application pages linked from there, you can see the points that people have raised, raise your own observations and vote on the app for promotion to extras. This thread appears to be attempting to duplicate a subset of that functionality in a less structured fashion. I would recommend people testing apps to work from those repository links rather than post here.

Edit : err - I misread the intent of your post. It seems that we're in agreement

Originally Posted by RvanGogh View Post
Abiword works fine, I really use it a lot. It is far more bdetter than the latest N810 I used, which was also good. It only has some slight issues when trying to select some textfragments - it will move these selected fragments sometimes. So you have to use the restore-button once in a time. Though far less then I used too wid the old pased away N810.
Now I'm hoping for a 4,3 inch N910.
Alright thanx for your feedback man .. I have moved AbiWord up .. .. In case if someone objects, I can move it down again ..

Originally Posted by magnuslu View Post
Please, put it in Wiki format instead of a forum thread.

I've also wanted to do something similar for 'proven and tested' flash apps, but I haven't received my N900 yet, so no point starting that yet...
yeh thats not a bad idea too ... but now that I've started this thread, lets see where it goes .. otherwise we can move to wiki later on maybe ..

I think this thread would probably be more accessible than the wiki if its stickied or something btw ..

Originally Posted by yogi900 View Post
irreco-for-n900

I have loaded this. Good one. I could use my N900 to control my Sony Trinitron TV. No issues in downloading or installing the same. Not tried other appliances.

I could add/delete new remote buttons also. But, number of buttons on screen are limited. I think I can reduce icon size (button image size) so that more buttons per screen I can add. I have to try this.
Alright, irreco is being promoted too .. btw, can someone please tell me the difference between irreco-for-n900 and irreco-core .. ?

Originally Posted by qwertyberty View Post
Just go to Settings ->Phone ->Data Counter ->Clear
Alright thanx for that .. promoting ..

Originally Posted by matrim View Post
Unless you have a version number it doesn't help much as v1.1 of an application could work fine but v1.2 could introduce some problem that makes in unusable.
You are right, but the point is as the applications update, we can either promote or demote them here ... or mention a note that v1.1 works but v1.2 doesnt, etc .... Good point though !

Originally Posted by jaark View Post

Yes, but like I said before, I think this thread would be more accessible than the QA Repository (I didn't even know that it existed uptill now ) ...

Originally Posted by tpharaoh View Post
Fring isn't bad, but it will crash if you don't have connection already open. Also, I found navigation a bit hard, as if you close a chat, it won't reopen.
Thanks for the feedback dude .. I think I should list fring under Apps with issues then, right ?

Originally Posted by gLobster View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
dont get me wrong

but I see this as a pointless exercise. The system of voting for an app is in place and I can see a lot of app developers going around requesting for votes which shouldnt be the case.

why not spend your time by testing the app if you have downloaded it , then go and vote for it, or comment about it in maemo.org/packages section for the app.

that way the developer gets his comments for improvement , chances are you get your fixes sooner, and all future downloaders have enough info about the goods/bads of the app in one place.

this is just my opinion, you are of course free to carry on with a thread !

cheers
point well noted .. Yes, this should be done, and I think I will mention this in the first post too that voting should be done there too ... but my purpose of creating this thread was to give quick feedback access to the readers (people who are thinking of installing an app from the testing/devel areas, but are worried that they may have bugs) ...

Its like this (some basic computer jargon here :P) ... you can go an fetch data from memory, but you can fetch data from the cache even faster ..

But yes, voting should be done at the repositories too .. !

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Extra Decoders Support - very good.

Tags
apps, thread considered harmful, why???