Active Topics

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
I've been talking a lot about who the nokia n900 is for, as a user group and got a lot of opinions, the vast majority saying it should be targeted primarily at Power Users, then Techies then Mass Market..

So given this - how do we help Nokia advertise the n900. Where do you think it will have the biggest impact and what would you propose as a theme for the advert?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I think with TV out, the PC/netbook market is its sweet spot. It must be emphasised that Maemo is the same OS situation we've enjoyed on our home PC in our pocket, and it only needs a finger to operate. It is NOT a geek tool only, and as long as we keep saying it, we'll scare away others.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
TV Out, Social Media Integration, Multi-task, Business applications, Audio/Visual Media mgmt,

I would like to see a make it your own or "what's your flavor" mentality. to differentiate from apples "any color you want as long as it is black" mentality.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
TV, definitely.

However, it's going to be a hard sell simply because there's no desktop ubiquity of iTunes - which was brought in backdoor through iPods and later utilized by iPhones.

Social media will be an odd sell. And one I fear will end in backlash - the average Twitter and Facebook user isn't that savvy.

TV in the US on MTV and BET. Also during Sunday football games. Product demos in the parking lot of Best Buy and Fry's Electronics.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
TV, definitely.

However, it's going to be a hard sell simply because there's no desktop ubiquity of iTunes - which was brought in backdoor through iPods and later utilized by iPhones.

Social media will be an odd sell. And one I fear will end in backlash - the average Twitter and Facebook user isn't that savvy.
No iTunes support won't hold it back. What device(s) use it?? And I bet someone figures out how to sync the player to iTunes, but why? I don't quite understand what you mean? What does iTunes have to do with the N900? I think you overestimate how much people like iTunes.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
how about Nokia for a start. Here "down under" (Aus/NZ) its not even listed as an upcoming device on Nokia's(.com.au/.co.nz) web site.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
No iTunes support won't hold it back. What device(s) use it?? And I bet someone figures out how to sync the player to iTunes, but why? I don't quite understand what you mean? What does iTunes have to do with the N900? I think you overestimate how much people like iTunes.
Not what I meant at all.

It's not about iTunes at all. Allow me to reiterate and explain better before more misunderstandings continue.

The fact that there is not a centralized application - something as pervasive as iTunes has become since you had to use that for the majority of the iPod purchases (you know, for the millions and millions of iPods out there) - for the N900 there's no such application. You could argue and say "it's the operating system" but people want an app/app suite that they've used before that ties in their contacts, media and whatnot that's currently in use or has mainstream use.

Personally, that doesn't matter to me. I'll make it work since I'm not truly tied down to one set of apps - iTunes on Mac, Zune on PC for music for instance.

I'm talking about the soccer mom's and tech un-savvy that might see this on a commercial, like how it looks, think that it might match their Monday and Wednesday attire, buy it like it's an accessory - trust me, I've heard this from other iPhone owners that... matched the iPhone and accessories to the interior of their car or to their computer monitor (no joke) - and they will look for the easily found answers of how to get their contacts on the phone.

That's what I mean. What mainstream apps can sync their contacts, music, and make it easy for the layman? That's not for me to answer, that's for Nokia. And so far, it's not a set of popular apps that do that for them right now.

MS Office might do it by the time it comes out. If so, it gets no more mainstream than that. Or it might be an unnamed suite... which will mean the apps and the phone will have to gain acceptance outside of the savvy circles such as Talk.Maemo... et al.

I'm just not looking forward to answering some of the more mundane questions from people that won't invest more than a few moments outside of the commercial to find out more about the N900.

You know the type.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I doubt Nokia will advertise the n900 in american mainstream(tv) media at all

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
I doubt Nokia will advertise the n900 in american mainstream(tv) media at all
Here... we agree. But I think that's an opportunity lost. That is... if all of the pieces are in place that is (or I'd hope).

I do know that the commercials for the MyTouch 3G have been rather successful. The hits on my previous blog article "MyTouch 3G vs. Apple iPhone 3GS" bill/price comparison article shot way up the moment those commercials aired on television.

With the excited and informed bloggers here, I'm quite sure they will see the same. Once the N900 is on TV, this community honestly could help out many others.

Just a thought...