Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The update lake of eastern was in release candidate phase one month ago. Now, one month later is still nowhere to be seen. Not even for opt-in. Marc said weeks, it's now months. To me it's always nice by Jolla to iron out bugs and issues but I wouldn't mind atleast update regarding progress like they did when they had issues while trying to improve the memory handling in previous upgrade The final sw would probably drop to my phone sometime in may at the same time as sail 2.0 will be available.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You are way too optimistic if you assume that Sail 2.0 will be available in May. At the current rate, the more realistic estimate is late August. Unless they take another well deserved break. In which case, October. Maybe.

I think the problem is they try to make monolitic releases. There is nothing to stop them releasing updates to e.g. Browser or Exchange independently from the core OS but for some reason they want to dump the whole shebang in one go. Smaller incremental releases would give a better illusion impression of progress and keep noisy and inpatient customers like Dave999 happy.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You are way too optimistic if you assume that Sail 2.0 will be available in May. At the current rate, the more realistic estimate is late August. Unless they take another well deserved break. In which case, October. Maybe.

I think the problem is they try to make monolitic releases. There is nothing to stop them releasing updates to e.g. Browser or Exchange independently from the core OS but for some reason they want to dump the whole shebang in one go. Smaller incremental releases would give a better illusion impression of progress and keep noisy and inpatient customers like Dave999 happy.
I totally agree, not particularly for new features but at least for bug fixes. The current status of the calendar and the synchronisation with Google, is this is pretty unusable. A shame for a smartphone. Some fixes are already commited upstream, so it's just up to Jolla to spread them.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 443 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Grenoble, France
Honestly, Jolla release is just a mess.
I also own a BQ device and moving to a developer channel is very easy and allow everyone to follow up to date progress.
So you can, either be on a developpers channel, a rc channel or a release channel.
It is up to you to choose the one you want.

I found this is something really great from Ubuntu and on which, Jolla should take example.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mousse04 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You know me. Always too optimistic until proven guilty.

Channel like a "branch" or like an IRC channel? But you still have to do manual updates?

Ok...you are talking about image channels.
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/star...mage-channels/

Can you preselected channel and then automatically keep the phone update with that channel?

Ah ha. It looks quite nice...more like n900 updates...options.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-04-15 at 09:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Been there, asked that...
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=180
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=211
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=212
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=219
etc..

While I do concede making non-monolithic releases is HARD (TM), and virtually the only GNU/Linux distribution where this actually works is my beloved Gentoo*, I still think anything would be an improvement over the current "surprise mentality".

* Because API problems are slightly less common than ABI ones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I think that monolithic releases are a good thing for an obvious reason - publicity. You keep users excited when they know they have something bigger to look forward to, than just random frequent small changes to default apps.

Press is much more likely going to notice bigger changes once per 1-2 months, rather than small changes scattered across time (and yes, there has been press coverage of SailfishOS upgrades, at least on some tech-focused sites).

Even regular users that are not excited from waiting for an upgrade will prefer reading a changelog once per month or two to finding out something has changed in the system every once in a while.

PS: I am saying that as a long time Archlinux user

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-04-15 at 10:55.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
@nodevel: I agree with you, but I also agree with pichlo. Therefore, I suggest something in between:

2 channels - fast and slow, kinda like the current 'rings' on Windows 10. People on the slow channel will get monolithic releases like you suggest while people on the fast channel will get regular app updates like pichlo suggest with small changes and stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 443 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Grenoble, France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
You know me. Always too optimistic until proven guilty.

Channel like a "branch" or like an IRC channel? But you still have to do manual updates?

Ok...you are talking about image channels.
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/star...mage-channels/

Can you preselected channel and then automatically keep the phone update with that channel?

Ah ha. It looks quite nice...more like n900 updates...options.

I'm talking about image channels. Once a channel is selected and flashed for the 1st, then you receive all updates from OTA .
So everyday, my BQ phone receives an OTA update !!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mousse04 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Re this discussion (see the 8 posts before mine), I put it directly to Jolla:
https://twitter.com/JediTWang/status/588277949348057088

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: