Notices

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
@ Estel- Very close- like in Nokia Maps.
Preloaded Nokia Maps maps are in vector graphics format and thus quite small in bytes. Marble map tiles are in pixel(raster) graphics format (like Ovi maps tiles which are not preloaded and downloaded during use) and if you want large areas in very fine detail, the data amount needed to download grows enourmously large... I have heard, that there is a project to start using vector maps also in Marble...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
So the maps are not for me. Nokia Maps are about 7GB so probably it is much larger then that

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
Preloaded Nokia Maps maps are in vector graphics format and thus quite small in bytes. Marble map tiles are in pixel(raster) graphics format (like Ovi maps tiles which are not preloaded and downloaded during use) and if you want large areas in very fine detail, the data amount needed to download grows enourmously large... I have heard, that there is a project to start using vector maps also in Marble...
I use jDownloader with OSM and Google tiles.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
is it on maemo or on pc?
I'm on linux so no good for me and it says in the description that it is for downloading files from rapidshaer etc.
Got one for linux. Thanks.

Last edited by fw190; 2011-09-16 at 09:07.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Sorry, meant JTileDownloader not jDownloader (which is nice too...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Any hints how to set it up for the bes zoom? I didn't use openstreetmap

E:

Jus checked here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/P...sm#Downloading (should hae don that in the first place prior to asking obvious questions...)
250GB- 14GB compressed too bog for N900. To big for my pc even

Last edited by fw190; 2011-09-16 at 09:42.

Max zoom is almost unusable for every thing I can think of, at least if
You mean N900 and navigation. Remember, that getting max zoom =! getting all lower zoom levels, unless you choose to download them also.

Nokia Maps vector thing *never* was even close to mapping quality Marble offers. I think You're just mixing technologies here. I also rely on predownloading maps and navigation (You can download navigation instructions for Whole world from Marble, without any problem or too big space usage), I just choose to download tiles I'm really going to use. Like sane zoom (not largest) or tiles ~ fixed kilometers from road, which for Marble got nice option bundled in.

Just give it a try, if You're willing to see difference IMO, no commercial navigation program offer quality like that.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
What zoom should I chose to download and drive with comfort? 11,12,13 or 14 or even higher?

Depends on personal preferences. you need to check that yourself
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The problem is that there is a limit for download and even when I try to download Poland at full zoom (17) this is to big. if I remember correctly even 14 is to big and 14 isn't to comfortable. and it takes huge amount of space plus the routing :/ Hope that some day they will think a way to lighten up the whole thing

Tags
marble, nokia n900