Notices

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
exactly how long should it take to download maps once selecting auto-download? I've been waiting at least 15-20 minutes and just get a black screen and the downloading widget. I have no GPS, the MAC address is set as 00:00:00:00:00:00, I set the URI as per this post, but it just doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyone have any ideas, did I miss something?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jayholler
exactly how long should it take to download maps once selecting auto-download? I've been waiting at least 15-20 minutes and just get a black screen and the downloading widget. I have no GPS, the MAC address is set as 00:00:00:00:00:00, I set the URI as per this post, but it just doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyone have any ideas, did I miss something?
5 seconds or less. It's really fast. Is your network active? Hmm.. Try copy pasting the url again. Try zooming out (if it's still in the 0 0 cordinates).

Originally Posted by phillup

Code:
gconftool-2 --type float --set /apps/maemo-mapper/last_longitude -- -115
gconftool-2 --type float -- set /apps/maemo-mapper/last_latitude 45
Just make sure the app isn't running when you do this.
Code:
gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/maemo-mapper/zoom 8
also works. Check out /var/lib/gconf/apps/maemo-mapper/%gconf.xml on your tablet for a list of more things to configure (editing this file by hand does nothing for some reason).

Great, impressive, excellent application!!

I think it would be a good idea (and maybe not so much work) to add WMS support and multiple map provider functionality.

One could configure Google-like and WMS standard-compliant map providers (there is plenty of free ones).

the
$HOME/apps/maemo-mapper/[ZOOM]/[LATITUDE]/[LONGITUDE].jpg
could be changed to
$HOME/apps/maemo-mapper/[MAP_PROVIDER]/[ZOOM]/[LATITUDE]/[LONGITUDE].jpg

This could be useful if one wants to see satellite imagery like
http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/

WMS:
http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi

Did I mentioned I liked it?

Great work!!

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jayholler
exactly how long should it take to download maps once selecting auto-download? I've been waiting at least 15-20 minutes and just get a black screen and the downloading widget.
(Hi everyone! )

The problem is, that the cache folder needs to exist - the application does not seem to create it if it does not. That fixed it for me.

I have another issue: the GPS I borrowed for testing is a Insmat SiRF III bluetooth gps, and my friend says it works fine with gpsdrive. But as soon as maemo-mapper gains a connection to the gps, it flashes the "Establishing GPS mumble.." - banner and immediately after this it crashes / quits (it just disappears)

Any ideas how to help in debugging this?

//Tuomas

Last edited by tigert; 2006-05-12 at 12:17.

Originally Posted by tigert
I have another issue: the GPS I borrowed for testing is a Insmat SiRF III bluetooth gps, and my friend says it works fine with gpsdrive. But as soon as maemo-mapper gains a connection to the gps, it flashes the "Establishing GPS mumble.." - banner and immediately after this it crashes / quits (it just disappears)

Any ideas how to help in debugging this?

//Tuomas
I have a simular problem, the gps i am using is a Globalsat BT-338. I think it's the same hardware as the Insmat but different brand.

But mine doesn't crash all the time, it only crashes when the GPS haven't got any fix.
I get 1 position but it's about 500m of. I allways get the same position when I enable GPS in the menu. Have tried walking around with it about 300 m in one direction. The position does not update.

I have set up the maemo Devkit and enabled the verbose output in the source-code and copied the newly compiled binary to the 770.

I have attached the output.

gnuite: Thank you! Great work! The code is really clean and easy to follow! If you want me to get you some other output don't hesitate to tell me!
Attached Files
File Type: zip maemo-mapper.debug.hardcoder.txt.zip (1.6 KB, 226 views)

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
That fixed it, thanks tigert! If anyone else has this issue, you need to create a directory:
mkdir /home/user/apps/maemo-mapper
Make sure owner is user and group is users. I created this dir after becoming root, and I had to manually chown and chgrp to get it working.

Enough of that, now the praise:

gnuite: This is incredible! To be able to use the maps fullscreen, zoom however I want, damn man, really nice work. I use my mobile as a modem so I don't even need to get a gps device! really, really nice stuff. Congratulations and thank you.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Problems?
I have had some problems with the 770 buttons, I can not figure out what exactly I am doing that causes the problem, it seems to happen a bunch and then not at all. All buttons will stop working for maemo-mapper except the home button. If I open a browser window and then zoom in , I can then go back to maemo-mapper and it will work. Wierd, I have not been able to determine what causes this has anybody else seem this?

Sometimes a map for a particular area does not download completely, you can uncheck automatically download and recheck, and sometimes this works , sometimes it does not, a way to force a download of your current view might be handy.

Suggestions:
A way to chose from multiple map locations would be nice. I travel and when I fly to a city one time a year, I want a easy way to delete temporary maps so they don't use up all my space

It would be really nice to be able to select an area for download by drawing around the area with the stylus, this would be more convenient than being forced to download square areas and type in coordinates. I don't know how hard this would be, but it would be cool

It would be really nice to be able to offload the map downloading to a PC so you could handle a bit more, maybe output a script using wget? Just a thought?

Praise:
This is an awesome application, you have done an outstanding job. This runs so much better than gpsdrive on the 770 and has the functionality you need, again awesome job!!

FYI:
Using the "download area" I was able to download 16000 maps in a single download without crashing

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HardCoder
But mine doesn't crash all the time, it only crashes when the GPS haven't got any fix.
I get 1 position but it's about 500m of. I allways get the same position when I enable GPS in the menu. Have tried walking around with it about 300 m in one direction. The position does not update.
Okay. I suspected this, as stuff like this and the issue with the cache directory not existing are very easy to overlook at this very early stage of development, as there are more interesting and important things to worry about

I'll make sure to wait a bit longer, and try this outside more. If it works, then probably it crashes when it finds a GPS, but the GPS does not give any useful position information yet?

gnuite: Thank you! Great work! The code is really clean and easy to follow! If you want me to get you some other output don't hesitate to tell me!
Yeah! This is *incredibly cool* and very very well done small application. I love the UI too, it gives a very polished experience, even though it is a very early version! Lovely! My thanks to the author as well

//Tuomas

This thing is awsome. Crashed it couple of times trying to download LOS ANGELES @ 2. . Now i'm doing chunks. It's just a pint to input those ccordinates every time you go in.
I have a USB GPS mouse, got it few years back. Any chanse that is gould be used. I believe it can use prolific 2303 driver (in-kernal driver on 2.6), but don't know what you would need to change in you app to support this interface. The GPS unit is BU-303. This would be nice as I have an setup in place from old Carputer (GPS and Powerd USB hub) wich would work greate with this.

But, great work non the less. Can't wait for V2