Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@Wikiwide schematics and service manual is not documentation, lol.

And remember please: if phone is not on Android or Linux (Maemo, MeeGo, Tizen) You CAN NOT change builtin OS on it to any other.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
@Wikiwide schematics and service manual is not documentation, lol.

And remember please: if phone is not on Android or Linux (Maemo, MeeGo, Tizen) You CAN NOT change built-in OS on it to any other.
Not true.

Bada OS came on the (cheap and, for its time) phenomenal Samsung Wave smartphone. Its got a fully working port of Android. I think it was version 4.0.3

The HP TouchPad also got an Android port.

The O2 XDA TyTN II and TouchPRO got Android ports too. Version 2.1 or was it 2.3 ?

HTC HD2 was the last device and it came with Windows Mobile 6.
It got ports for WebOS. FirefoxOS. Android. MeeGo. Mer. Ubuntu Touch. Ubuntu. Windows Phone. Windows RT. Windows 10.

I'm flattered

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
An Asha 311 has 128MB of RAM and a slow as ***** processor. It is an impossibility to have it run anything other than Series 40.

Not really true, you could opt for an older flavor of android. In fact, 2.0 has been seen running on the old n95 back in the day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Ok, I can see that there is no existing linux kernel compiled specifically for Asha 311. But what kind of HW documentation would be needed to begin to do such a kernel-or-whatever?..
The kernel is no-brainer. Just about the only thing needed to build a working kernel is to know the CPU architecture and rough estimate on the available core memory.

But this is nearly not enough; I can easily build and boot a kernel for Asha 311, and if it has something resembling an UART then most probably I can launch a serial console (even with no pins existing outside the device, access to pins can be had by opening the case...)

Booting the new kernel is again no problem, with a bit of hacking and breaking the user security with any number of known faults, or in the ultimate case force-feeding the kernel loading via JTAG interface...

The problematic thing is the HW adaptation;
Because the device runs a totally different OS you do not have any useful drivers, binary blobs, knowledge on which registerers to twiddle to make it dance...
  • Impossible to have even a text console on the native screen, not to mention any kind of GUI
  • no access to wlan, BT, 2G/3G/4G modem
  • no access to DSME
  • ...nothing really

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I do not know anything about compiling operating system for a different hardware. I just heard that the reason for BB devices to not-run an alternative operating system is locked boot-loader - that's why that was my first question.
Having a locked bootloader is just a hindurance, it is not the main thing that prevents porting an OS to a device.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Not true.

Bada OS came on the (cheap and, for its time) phenomenal Samsung Wave smartphone. Its got a fully working port of Android. I think it was version 4.0.3

The O2 XDA TyTN II and TouchPRO got Android ports too. Version 2.1 or was it 2.3 ?

It got ports for WebOS. FirefoxOS. Android. MeeGo. Mer. Ubuntu Touch. Ubuntu. Windows Phone. Windows RT. Windows 10.
Now I wonder where did the HW adaptation pop up, hmm?
Might be something to do with the fact that in each case there was leaked information from manufacturer or employees who had developed the HW in the first place

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Thank you all for your replies and the discussion you got going, it's very helpful and informative. I'm glad I'm part of this active community.

According to Wikipedia it has 1GHz ARM 11 and it doesn't have 4G modem.

I strongly suspect it runs a highly stripped version of MeeGo. On Microsoft's meddling, it has been made hard to use, so that customers are goaded/cajoled to buy their higher priced mobile phones.

My previous phone N73 had much less hardware and it still has lot more convenient features.

Last edited by nirasha_user; 2015-02-23 at 15:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nirasha_user For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
Originally Posted by nirasha_user View Post
I strongly suspect it runs a highly stripped version of MeeGo. On Microsoft's meddling, it has been made hard to use, so that customers are goaded/cajoled to buy their higher priced mobile phones.
I'm afraid you're mistaken. The Asha phones run Symbian Series 40. The 311 has a touch opptimized UI but at its core it's old S40. Microsoft didn't have much involvement with Asha at the time the 311 was released.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kapu2 View Post
I'm afraid you're mistaken. The Asha phones run Symbian Series 40. The 311 has a touch opptimized UI but at its core it's old S40. Microsoft didn't have much involvement with Asha at the time the 311 was released.
That's wrong, they sent that IDIOT Stephen Elop who managed to sabotage it so that people will upgrade to Lumia.

There is no way to if it is Symbian, it could be MeeGo and they are calling it S40.

Last edited by nirasha_user; 2015-02-23 at 19:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to nirasha_user For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Not true.

talking about something you can still buy in market, okay?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by FlashInTheNight86 View Post
nirasha_user, Ashas are inferior to smartphones produced 5 years ago, hardware-wise. It's not wise to waste your time on them.
I appreciate you well meaning advice but I don't see it as a waste, whatever I'll learn from my struggles on this will deepen my understanding of how computers, etc work.

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nirasha_user For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia asha, opensourcephone