Active Topics

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
It seems that also my USB socket is broken, it is not possible anymore to load the device. The LED is glowing "yellow" permanently when I try to connect it to the PC, also there it doesn't loads anymore or detects any device at all.

I still have a half loaded battery here which I could use to delete / backup the data on my device. I remember that there is a tool to make a full backup / image of the device on a SD card which can be loaded before Maemo booted, can anyone tell me the name?

Is there any possibility to start the N900 or load a battery by hand without a loading station for the batteries?

use backup-menu to backup everything on your phone and if you have any other nokia phone like nokia 5530 or anything similar you can load your battery in it to charge.. (p.s. i charged by n900 battery twice in that phone .. )

The Following User Says Thank You to TransTech For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TransTech View Post
use backup-menu to backup everything on your phone and if you have any other nokia phone like nokia 5530 or anything similar you can load your battery in it to charge.. (p.s. i charged by n900 battery twice in that phone .. )
Thank you for the fast reply, that is exactly what I'm looking for

I have sadly no other Nokia phone with similar batteries and don't know anyone with a N900 or similar phone here :/ Is it possible to connect a 3,7V power transformer directly to the N900 battery socket?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Here are a couple of phones using the same battery as the N900 http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...13&postcount=6
Add the Nokia X1-00 dumb phone to that list.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
I don't have any of the phones posted above :/

I'm quite surprised by the way -> The data connection of my N900 is working just fine, is my socket maybe still working but something else broken?

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Although chinese external battery chargers are cheap on ebay, cheaper than buying a phone for the same process

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Although chinese external battery chargers are cheap on ebay, cheaper than buying a phone for the same process
Well that is a possible option, so far the battery was holding long enough to backup the important data and make a full backup with "BackupMenu", I guess I don't need to do anything else?

Is there a easy way to make a FULL backup of the "myDocs" folder too? I noticed that "BackupMenu" didn't include it, I guess I can simply use "CP" with a specific syntax to copy MyDocs to a SD card with the related Linux permissions?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
Well that is a possible option, so far the battery was holding long enough to backup the important data and make a full backup with "BackupMenu", I guess I don't need to do anything else?

Is there a easy way to make a FULL backup of the "myDocs" folder too? I noticed that "BackupMenu" didn't include it, I guess I can simply use "CP" with a specific syntax to copy MyDocs to a SD card with the related Linux permissions?
MyDocs is usually FAT32 (as is the SD card), so there's no Linux permissions to worry about. If you've used ext3 instead, then you can either reformat the SD card as ext3 as well, or use tar to back it up to the SD card (though you may well run into the 4G filesize limit on FAT32).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Ok, I created a full copy of MyDocs and a copy of Optfs and Rootfs that should be enough I guess.

I just noticed by the way that my phone is loading via the PC cable for some reason oO It doesn't loads with any external charger (Tested several) or the car charger though, only in USB mode it works fine so far.

Any idea what could be going on there?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
Ok, I created a full copy of MyDocs and a copy of Optfs and Rootfs that should be enough I guess.

I just noticed by the way that my phone is loading via the PC cable for some reason oO It doesn't loads with any external charger (Tested several) or the car charger though, only in USB mode it works fine so far.

Any idea what could be going on there?
The N900 sticks to the new micro USB charging standard, which requires the data pins to be shorted for dumb power chargers. Unfortunately, many USB power adapters don't do this so won't work with the N900. You'll need to either open the charger and short-circuit the middle two connectors, or modify a USB cable to short them out (or buy a new charger which already has them shorted).

Tags
backup, broken, kaputt, rescue, socket