Active Topics

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Hello @ringius (and @jdrescher, @otsaloma, @MartinK),

Background:
I was surprised to find mapboxgl-qml installed on my Jolla 1 phone. While OSMscout server, PoorMaps, ModRana and Laufhelden are installed, PoorMaps GL and associated libraries were not installed (at least not manually and deliberately).
Looking for the reason, I found that Laufhelden's RPM Spec-file pulls in mapboxgl-qml unconditionally.

As supposedly mapboxgl-qml was already installed for some time and I did not experience any effects, I wonder:
  • May mapboxgl-qml cause any negative effects on Jolla 1 phones, besides the disk space used and having another RPM installed (plus eventual dependencies)?
  • Can mapboxgl-qml be of any use on Jolla 1 phones (i.e. albeit slow, is this technically feasible at all)?
  • If not, why does it install at all (in an unsupported environment)?
These questions are aiming in two directions:
  • How should authors of software handle a potential dependency on mapboxgl-qml, which varies with the environment (i.e. device / installed libraries)?
  • Is there any chance of enabling mapboxgl-qml to run on Jolla 1 phones (no matter how slow)?
Many thanks to you all for your marvelous work!
Hi,

mapboxgl-qml should not pull any additional packages. Its dependencies are given at https://build.merproject.org/package...latest_armv7hl

Except disk space usage, I don't see any possible side effects of having it installed on the phone if it's not used. We have debugged J1 a while ago and I might have forgotten some details, but as far as I remember, Mapboxgl was crashing itself, without bringing down the whole device. Note that some trivial maps did seem to work on J1. So, we can speculate that its possible to reduce some internal memory consumption by simplifying the schema of the map. However, its not guaranteed to work, maybe limited only to some targeted Mapboxgl versions (not work with the next release), and will probably require lots of work. Taking into account that all newer devices seem to be fine, we may just have to accept that J1 is showing its age and is going to retire with the respect of this application.

As for having it as dependency, I don't know how Laufhelden can specify them depending on the device, unless some special stripped down version will be provided without the maps.

I don't know how Laufhelden disabled the map on J1 (assuming that's your question), you probably can enable it back in the source.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
New release is out: 1.3.0

This release has panning threshold enabled to avoid accidental panning of the map when you want to just click it. Implemented and proposed by @otsaloma - thank you!

This release brings us to the latest Mapbox GL Qt bindings version - 1.3.0, released two days ago. To put in perspective, its not even yet in Qt 5.11

The bumped Mapbox GL version has few bugfixes and new features. The one I was waiting for is the ability to show map styles which have missing icons in them. For example, styles based on openmaptiles have this problem. Earlier Mapbox GL versions just refused to render anything after an error - now the error is not fatal and other layers get drawn as they should. So, Cartago is shown much better now.

I haven't looked through the changes introduced lately, so cannot tell much about the new features. For interested, look through pull requests at https://github.com/mapbox/mapbox-gl-...pr+is%3Aclosed from about 8 March to end of Aug 2017 (qt-v1.1.0). [Version 1.2.0 had an annoying bug, so I skipped it].

For my surprise, OBS was fine with compiling the plugin for SFOS 2.0.5.6. I have no way to test whether it actually works. For those interested and such old SFOS version, you are welcome to test. Get packages at https://build.merproject.org/project...e:rinigus:maps .

Enjoy and let me know if something doesn't work.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2017 @ Germany
Originally Posted by olf View Post
  • How should authors of software handle a potential dependency on mapboxgl-qml, which varies with the environment (i.e. device / installed libraries)?
  • Is there any chance of enabling mapboxgl-qml to run on Jolla 1 phones (no matter how slow)?
Hi olf,
I wouldn't want to prevent mapbox-qml from installing on Jolla 1 because it does work. Only when you zoom in too much then it gets unstable and might cause the app to crash.
In the map settings of Laufhelden you can enable/disable map support.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdrescher For This Useful Post:
Encouraged by @PamNor's experience (while @rinigus originally sounded quite discouraging), I tried vector maps on a Jolla 1 phone (with SFOS 2.1.4.14):

mapboxgl-qml 1.3.0-10.35.1.jolla is working properly with both, WhoGo Maps 0.92 and Laufhelden 1.0.0-1, no matter if using online or offline vector tiles served by OSM Scout Server 1.4.3-10.29.1.jolla!
With OSM Scout Server as map provider, using vector maps seems to be a bit faster than than OSM Scout based bitmap tiles (in Poor Maps; I have never tried Mapnik offline bitmap tiles due to their enormous map sizes).

Kudos to you all, this is quite an achievement.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I am about to begin playing with this promising plugin, but while reading the documentation, I might need a slight push:

Could anyone give me a hint how to do an image overlay, where the image position on the map is given by two of its diagonally opposing corners in the form of (lat, lon) coordinates?

Thanks in advance!

And of course big thanks to rinigus for carrying the whole bag of mapping capabilities of SailfishOS on his back in such a spectacular way. Much appreciated!

Last edited by nodevel; 2018-06-16 at 16:16.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I am about to begin playing with this promising plugin, but while reading the documentation, I might need a slight push:

Could anyone give me a hint how to do an image overlay, where the image position on the map is given by two of its diagonally opposing corners in the form of (lat, lon) coordinates?

Thanks in advance!

And of course big thanks to rinigus for carrying the whole bag of mapping capabilities of SailfishOS on his back in such a spectacular way. Much appreciated!
I am traveling right now, so couldn't test it.

It looks like you could use https://www.mapbox.com/mapbox-gl-js/...#sources-image and a layer that draws it. See
https://www.mapbox.com/mapbox-gl-js/...mage-on-a-map/ for an example.

In this plugin, approach is the same as in the example - add source and then layer rendering it. Hope that helps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
As MartinK pointed out in modRana thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...postcount=2013), there is an ongoing work on updating QtLocation. I have asked whether new packages would include MapboxGL plugin and got a reply - no. See discussion at https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/...ge_requests/15

Looks like its induced by old gcc. From this I expect that no major gcc is coming for SFOS 3. I wonder why they don't use neochapay's packaging of gcc?

Anyway, the situation with the respect of MapboxGL plugin is more clear now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
While testing with @pichlo issues with Pure Maps, we observed that map scale changes were reported very frequently. Release 1.3.1 of this plugin allows developers to specify the tolerance at which metersPerPixel property changes are reported. For example, by setting

Code:
metersPerPixelTolerance: metersPerPixel*0.01
Since this new property was just introduced, on its use, specify that you need 1.3.1 version of the plugin in the SPEC file as well.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2017 @ Germany
Hi @rinigus,

I have a small question maybe you can help me with this. In my app there is a page with a map on it. Problem is now, when I swipe left over the map, often the page stack action (back) is called. Can I somehow lock the map so that it won't trigger a page stack action on swiping?
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdrescher For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jdrescher View Post
Hi @rinigus,

I have a small question maybe you can help me with this. In my app there is a page with a map on it. Problem is now, when I swipe left over the map, often the page stack action (back) is called. Can I somehow lock the map so that it won't trigger a page stack action on swiping?
I could see that the problem is when the map is a part of a page with the map not full screen. I don't know why, its probably some interaction with Silica where Silica takes over a swipe action. Don't know how to fix it though. You could try to take Mapbox mouse interaction area and check if that needs to be changed to get higher priority than Silica

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: