Active Topics

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
It hit me too (after three years of absolute perfection)
But I was able to solve it with some layers of paper between SIM and battery. AND some more layers between battery and cover.

Without the latter it did not work reliably. With paper towel between batt and cover it is stable since a few days.
We will see ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-10-29 at 20:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Really crazy...a paper-strip between battery and SIM doesn´t change anything here - I also couldn´t imagine that my prob is Simcard-contact-related cause it was not falling down or anything as it happened and never had contact-probs before. Furthermore there is no sim-failure-message or something like that.

Ive done a backup-reflash (root+optfs) minutes ago through boot-menu without change, telephony is dead/no connection to my provider! Crazy, now I am going to try a complete reflash....hope it does help.

Edit: ha, phone works again - don´t now why, when I remember right my backup was made with setting 2G - now I had a look into options and saw my phone was set on 3G - what I have tried last night after failure/I wasn´t able to connect to provider anymore.

Whatever it was, now I see my provider back again after I set back to 2G, it works. But I still want to do a complete reflash cause backup was made not long time ago and the risk that there is something ´mysterious´ program on is too high for me. But thanks anyway, keep up your good work here!

Last edited by Micha1982; 2013-10-30 at 00:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Micha1982 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Alright, my 3rd N900 redeveloped this issue on me finally again. I did a roll (think parkour roll after a landing), and my entire weight went over the case it was in. Killed the telephony that was by then holding up fine with all of the kluge fixes here mentioned. Though I guess I never tried to also put paper between battery and cover. I may try that but I'm not hopeful. So now my life is basically over... as soon as I can I am dropping money on the Neo900 and waiting for that. meanwhile I'm using an N9 as my phone. This is my first post with it. I find it okay but nothing like an N900.Course, I already knew that it wasn't comparable.Still, best thing I got for now, and I'm done buying more N900s. three is enough I think. might as well wait it out for the Neo900.

noteworthy is that the third N900 experienced that same overheating as my second, after my attempt to fix it again. I don't think the em shield was lifted up this time, so maybe the springs are somehow otherwise causing it. *shrug*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
@Mentalist
Thaf is really a pity and you have my full compassion.
Your alternate is a nice toy for me (see ubiboot),
but cannot really replace the N900!

And guess what:
it HIT me too a few days ago.
On boot:
'Could not establish network connection. Contact service.'
That's it. No cellular function anymore.
--and I do not parcours, but kept it like my beloved and treated it like a raw egg (usb is still fine after more than 3 years daily usage)--

Grabbed my replacement out of the wardrobe, flashed, installed backupmenu, copied everything, ran recovery, let mutiboot flash the right kernel on first boot and I am up again with my No. 1.
The other got a reflash (eMMC clashed at 32768kB, but cleaned/partitioned) and installed CSSU thumb. Installed also AIFS with cellular modem disabled to get rid of that boot-blocking message.
Waiting to be used as tablet, mail/browsing station at home (wife/kids)...

--
Waiting also for Neo900!
joerg,dos1,nicolaus and all other involved, please hurry up. Our N900 are starving...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-12-26 at 12:25. Reason: vkb

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@Mentalist
Thaf is really a pity and you have my full compassion.
Your alternate is a nice toy for me (see ubiboot),
but cannot really replace the N900!
Indeed. It's better than the feature phone I've been using as my alternative, in between the various N900 deaths, but it lacks in the biggest area that matters to me so much - being able to comfortably touch type. I've written entire paragraphs on the N900 while driving without ever taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road, because I'm so used to thumb-typing on that keyboard, and the ability to change the xkb symbol map made the shortage of keys a non-issue once I figured out how to do the remapping in the first year of owning one. Having to switch to a touchscreen-only device reminds me just how dangerous 'normal' texting while driving is because it demands so much more of your attention. Swype makes it a little less agonizing, but only a little. And no arrow keys, or page up/down, home, or end keys (which on the N900 I had thanks to aforementioned keyboard remap)... It's funny, xkb remapping was such a barely-power-user thing I got into before I ever programmed, but when it comes to daily usage, that's the biggest wall I hit in every other phone/tablet I've fiddled with. There's other niggling deficiencies of course, but a lot of them could be accepted with time, just as the N900's niggling deficiencies are accepted, and none of them dig so deeply into everything you do on the device. But that keyboard freedom/power, it feels like having your wings clipped when it's gone.

And guess what:
it HIT me too a few days ago.
On boot:
'Could not establish network connection. Contact service.'
That's it. No cellular function anymore.
I feel your pain sir, I do.

--and I do not parcours
Small nitpick: parkour and parcours are actually two different things, although the former term comes from warping the latter. Parcours is a formal competitive sport, parkour is more generally the art of efficient movement - they're closely related, though.

Anyway...

Waiting to be used as tablet, mail/browsing station at home (wife/kids)...
Yeah, I have to think of a use for my now-formerly-main N900. Thus far for me the N900s' fate has been that the previously main one becomes the programming device (where I do the majority of my coding and testing of apps and any on-device app building), and the one that formerly used to be the programming device becomes a blank slate for even more 'clean' testing - in case I ever needed a factory-flashed fresh device to test on, this one I could have no attachments to and the like. But now that my 3rd N900 has fallen in the line of phone-duty, I'm not sure what exactly it should be for, for now. Besides maybe my primary email/chat/IRC device, given that it's got alpine, all of my Conversations accounts, and almost all of my irssi logs on it already.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
@Mentalist
Re parcours/parkour:
I did not know that! (so can be seen like 'freeriding' of mountainbiking?)

Re vkb:
here is your badly desired solution.
Get it from there. Or grab my attachment (incl. my vkbs), extract to /home/user/.config/meego-keyboard/layouts/, reboot and select in settings the new layout(s). Of course you may tinker with them and update in that thread...

I really hope you get your hands on a used/new N(eo)900 soon [as even above does not satisfy hw keyboarder]. But until then enjoy the N9, it is worth it.
--edit
it is worth it, but ...
... imagine why I needed to add that .txt (uploading from N9 )
Attached Files
File Type: txt layouts.tar.gz.txt (3.7 KB, 286 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
@Mentalist
Re parcours/parkour:
I did not know that! (so can be seen like 'freeriding' of mountainbiking?)
Probably, I've not paid any attention to biking-related culture, just looking at the name, the answer is "probably".

But there is also a difference between "parkour" and "freerunning" (many practitioners would disagree, but I think there are two similar but distinct arts, one with a focus about efficiency and the other about expressive freedom, and there is overlap for many people but I think it matters that we have semantic difference to express the actual difference, in which case parkour is the former and freerunning is the latter). Off the top of my head, "freeriding" is probably more like freerunning than like parkour, since the purist definition of parkour is that it's all about efficiency of movement.

Re vkb:
here is your badly desired solution.
Get it from there. Or grab my attachment (incl. my vkbs), extract to /home/user/.config/meego-keyboard/layouts/, reboot and select in settings the new layout(s). Of course you may tinker with them and update in that thread...
Thanks for the pointer. The funny thing is, I've been so removed from this culture we have here the last year or two that I've been almost unable to focus any time on actually researching what you can do on the N9 as opposed to the N900. I intend to fix that, but it'll probably only be once I have finished university classes that I am able to have the spare time.

I really hope you get your hands on a used/new N(eo)900 soon [as even above does not satisfy hw keyboarder]. But until then enjoy the N9, it is worth it.
--edit
it is worth it, but ...
... imagine why I needed to add that .txt (uploading from N9 )
Yeah, I'm just holding off on getting another N900 - decided I'll ride life out for a little while without one as a phone. Though depending on the Neo900 time-table I may very well just cave again. I've been able to manage so far, but I am already starting to feel the pain of not being able to check my emails using alpine or jump on IRC using irssi over mobile internet. (I suspect there's probably ports of both to the N9, but I also suspect it also just wouldn't be an equivalent/better experience.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
i've had my N900 for 5 years now and only had this problem 5 days ago when i changed telco and the new simcard they gave me.

i used 2 layers of sticky tape on the back of my simcard, reinsert it to its cozy home and voila! my precious N900 lives again!

woohooo!!

thank god i dont have to resort to taking it apart or solder it or hammer it!

i am glad.

The Following User Says Thank You to deserv5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Today I applied the, I think, more permanent fix to my n900 telephony problems. But, after reading the whole post I'm still not sure how this will help? Is it due the fact of low pressure on the glued points? We will see

The Following User Says Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Ok, I really don't care how this is working, but it's working

I will stop thinking about the one motherboard I removed few weeks ago...

The Following User Says Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:

Tags
antenna, communication, depressing, disabled, error, problem, telephony