How can I install newest android version(2.5.7) with 0.2.7 installer? I tried today, but it installed 2.3.4 with actual manifest file. I want to install on microSD. Thanks for ideas.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Yes if you change the manifest it can install newer version.

Do you know how? I changed manifest to instal newest kernel (7rc7) but N12 is still the same, it installs 2.3.4 version.

You need to point manifest to a full archive of 2.3.7 somewhere.

I don't know if this archive
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/..._2.3.7.tar.bz2
is complete or only an update (to install over 2.3.4)

Last edited by Fabry; 2011-12-05 at 19:18.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
You need to point manifest to a full archive of 2.3.7 somewhere.

I don't if this archive
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/..._2.3.7.tar.bz2
is complete or only an update (to install over 2.3.4)
It says update. I think you're supposed to copy the 2.3.7 over the 2.3.4. dir structure.

If it is an update probably it can be installed with this manifest:

Code:
#
# Manifest file for NITDroid
#

# Root filesystem tar balls
rootfs		http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/N12_UMay.tar.bz2					a5846b46bce11bebbe3d3b0dab1663d6 
rootfs		http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/experimental/N12_update_2.3.7.tar.bz2	77e64cd44e8c1aff289ca550645739bd 

# Deb packages
package		http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07_7-rc7_armel.deb		22b5eb2a0047bf131898a90774a70912

Last edited by Fabry; 2012-08-27 at 01:49. Reason: I have inserted correct MD5 and eliminated typing

Thank you for help. Now I'm trying to enable swap. persist.swap.swappiness=1 in default.prop has no effect. Many people writes about speed improvement with swap on.

Originally Posted by eachna View Post
I have read through the thread but I'm still getting a bailout message.

To start:
Installed the latest nitdroid installer in the repos using apt-get (to get dependencies). Used dpkg to install the real latest installer at the start of this thread.

Manually partitioned my 16 gig class 6 micro SD card, as detailed in the wiki, using cfdisk.

Downloaded the manifest file attached to this post and put it in ~/MyDocs/.nitdroid/ directory. Called the installer using the file command flag. It does find the manifest file.

Manually downloaded the kernel and nitdroid packages on my linux box. Copied over using scp to ~/MyDocs/.nitdroid/ directory.

Removed the checksums from the manifest (as some people said this worked for them).

Here is the initial bailing out message:

Formatting /dev/mmcblk1p1 (vfat) ...done
Formatting /dev/mmcblk1p2 (ext3) ...done
Mounting /dev/mmcblk1p2 ...done
Extracting N12_UMay.tar.bz2 ...done
Installing ...FAILURE. Bailing out.

Here is the error when looking at the end of the install log:

[snipped the files extracting from N12_UMay.tar.bz2]

--- END [tar xv]
*** DONE
*** Installing
--- RUN [dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/]
dpkg-split: error reading /home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/: Is a directory
dpkg: error processing /home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/ (--install):
subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/
!!! ERROR:1 dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/
*** ERROR - CLEANING UP THE CRAP

What is the point of failure here? Is it failing when the kernel should be installed? Is it finding the directory the kernel is in, instead of the kernel itself? If the tar extraction is ending properly, does that mean all the android packages were properly copied to the micro SD card?

Any help would be appreciated.
I posted this a couple weeks ago and it appears to have been overlooked. I'm still not able to get this to install. I would appreciate any help getting this working, and thank you in advance.

Last edited by eachna; 2011-12-16 at 01:56.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Romania
Originally Posted by eachna View Post
I posted this a couple weeks ago and it appears to have been overlooked. I'm still not able to get this to install. I would appreciate any help getting this working, and thank you in advance.
i want to download android Gingerbread and install it on my n900 but i cant find it.. nitdroid.com is down..can anyone help me? thx

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
So I have tried the Nitdroid installers both from on the repos and the update installer listed on this thread. As long as I hand format the SD card and make a nitdroid.manifest as the thread instructs I can get the required files to download.
Once I have downloaded rootFS and kernel either by installer or with another computer and dropped into .nitdroid I will always get a checksum error, it seems that no matter what I do the nitdroid installer will add a md5 value even if I have hand trimmed these off, even if I am pointing the installer at local files a check after failure will show that the installer has added the bad hash values to the nitdroid.manifest file.
If network is turned off then the installer will fail unable to download a nitdroid.manifest.