Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Here's the damage on my (Made in China) N9

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
That's BAD!!!

Until reading this thread I never realised the polycarbonate had any added finish - I thought it was simply bare polycarbonate.

So much for innovative Nokia design...

I wonder if it's more apparent (worse) with the Chinese versions for some reason?

most pics I've seen are on the crappy sim tray and usb cover. How about the body of the phone itself? how many have experienced the damages? I saw a discolouration of one.
This thread made me purchase the cyan version thanks guys

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
GENUINE NOKIA N9 N9-00 BLACK SPARE SIM CARD TRAY REPLACEMENT BRAND NEW ORIGINAL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NO...item5ae5c7751f

I was not able to find a replacement Usb door cover that was black. But you can find the replacement cover for Lumia 800 and because Lumia 800 uses the same design as N9, it should fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-No...item3f1536a69a

GENUINE NOKIA BLACK GEL SOFT RUBBER CASE SKIN COVER FOR NOKIA N9 - CC-1020

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NO...item2eba23d148

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-03-29 at 12:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
That's BAD!!!

Until reading this thread I never realised the polycarbonate had any added finish - I thought it was simply bare polycarbonate.

So much for innovative Nokia design...

I wonder if it's more apparent (worse) with the Chinese versions for some reason?
I'm not sure the Doors and covers are Polycarbonate, because this is strange, I think the body is, but the doors and stuff are just normal plastic, what do you think?

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
I'm not sure either pal. TBH none of this makes sense - I would expect the SIM and mUSB covers to be either polycarb or a similar plastic with the solid colour right through.

As for that eBay seller and the SIM adapter - 10 quid??? Yet another piss take...

I'm not sure either pal. TBH none of this makes sense - I would expect the SIM and mUSB covers to be either polycarb or a similar plastic with the solid colour right through.

As for that eBay seller and the SIM adapter - 10 quid??? Yet another piss take...
Earlier in the thread, check it out, sim/mUSB covers are metal/magnetic.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
This is what the back of the N9 currently looks like - the two "patches" that can be seen are stickers that were applied to the device by the Malaysian local telecommunication authority and another by the local distributor for Nokia. I've since removed both of them (at different times, resulting in different shades) after confirmation from Nokia Malaysia that warranty is not dependent on the stickers. In general, I'd say that most of the phone is holding up very well with the exception of:

1) SIM tray cover
2) Micro USB cover
3) Chrome bezel surrounding lens

Full Image

loool@ebay I was doing some research on what polycarbonate is, and polycarbonate is a thermoplastic. So I think they took normal plastic and glazed it over with the polycarbonate,(EDIT: User said covers are actually metal). according to wikipedia thermoplastics form a glaze. the glaze seems to be chipping off or the protection over the glaze is chipping off. Maybe the actual poly.
Cds, dvds are made from polycarbonate.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-03-29 at 21:52.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
As per Wikipedia:
Properties and processing
Polycarbonate is a very durable material. Although it has high impact-resistance, it has low scratch-resistance and so a hard coating is applied to polycarbonate eyewear lenses and polycarbonate exterior automotive components. The characteristics of polycarbonate are quite like those of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA, acrylic), but polycarbonate is stronger, usable in a wider temperature range and more expensive. This polymer is highly transparent to visible light and has better light transmission characteristics than many kinds of glass.

This should settle that there does exist a coating. But I dont expect hard coating to chip off in a couple of months. If it does then it is unacceptable. That's not something that's expected.
I do also own a pair of carl zeiss spectacles made of polycarbonate, I've been using them for over 2 years now and still very minimal scratching. (I do not use anything delicately)

And in this case I think the hard coating should be transparent as opposed to being grayish...

The Following User Says Thank You to danested For This Useful Post: