This is super wired: last night I power on my Nokia N9 and it greets me with a popup screen asking to sign in to the Nokia account. This never happened before. I thought it might be some connection glitch so I type in my password. It fails. I try another password I might have used on it, and one more. All fails.

Tap the "Forgot your password?" link and plug in my email. The phone says something about my email not existing in their system. Now this is concerning. Either Big Brother had messed with my head or my Nokia account is hacked. I start recalling all the storied about hacked accounts, most recently the iCloud.

I check my email records (POP3 locally stored on my PC). Registration email correct. I try recovery via Nokia website it promises to send me recovery link if I got my email plugged in correctly. No email ever comes. Now I really really concerned.

I called Nokia customer service (the one that's super fragmented and you never know which country you belong to, as I got my phone from EU (Finland), based in the USA, currently in Ukraine, talking to Russian customer service). Nokia rep said my email doesn't show up in their records either. After my assurances that I just bought an app a week ago with that Nokia account and that email address and I am looking at a receipt in my inbox the rep promised to investigate.

Less than an hour later another Nokia rep sends me a canned email explaining how to recover password with my email (duh, ffs). After a few back and forth the second (email) rep said the first (phone) rep already "escalated" my issue and will get back to me ASAP.

Two days later I still have no idea what had happened to my Nokia account and all the private info there including my credit card, billing address, app and music purchase history, and sync backups.

What do you think I should do? Still waiting for Nokia reps to return my inquiry.

Last edited by Discoveryellow; 2013-04-03 at 18:15.

Stop time travelling?

Heh, no seriously that's a bad issue.
There's not much you can do except for contact them.

In fact, my recommendation is to contact them daily.
This will annoy them, harrass them, and clarify that you are serious.
It should drive them to insanity to actually figure it out.

Otherwise, if you stay quite, it might get sweeped under the rug as these things are prone to do.

I'm flattered

Lol Thanks for posting.

I already did contact them, and was surprised the issue wasn't resolved right away. Now I am talking to @NokiaHelps on twitter and gave the link to this thread.

It is just appalling that a user account can disappear and Nokia just doesn't resolve it right away!

I can't contact them daily, too busy. But my N9 sure reminds me with pop up screens that my Nokia account isn't working.

Last edited by Discoveryellow; 2013-04-04 at 11:54.

Issue resolved with a bit of help and hint form the Nokia Russian customer service. They said my account was registered not with my regular Gmail but with Nokiamail (Yahoo-Nokia partnership service).

I was able to login with that @nokiamail.com account instead of @gmail.com

Why did the system switch from my Gmail? I still don't know that, but it is certain that it did since my gmail was listed a secondary email. I switched it back to primary and my N9 login to app store just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Discoveryellow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Maybe that (together with the hacked database event) are good examples, why I never put my CC info in my account and never ever used/switched to "nokiamail"

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
hacked, nokia account, nokia n9, nokian9, ovistore, support