Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just want to say that new UI is very nice, I like it a lot.
I have gotten the Mer 0.11 desktop to run from a chroot as a replacement for the Maemo desktop (using this technique). I think I like it better. I'm still debugging little things; for instance, the tablet is connected to the Internet, but network manager isn't running so Mer thinks I'm offline (Midori still browses the 'Net, however). I'm sure I can fiddle some more and get this working... But Tear looks really nice in the Mer UI.

I would like a "logout" function. I can't escape the Mer desktop once I've started it, except to reboot the tablet.
When I rotate the UI to portrait, the top bar doesn't resize as gracefully as I'd like, but I'm sure you guys are working on it...

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-06 at 16:32.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by fredoll View Post
I just installed Mer 0.11 on my good ol' 770 following the installation guide : it works !
The only thing I'm wondering is : is the swap on by default ?
If it notices a swap partition it will ask if it can use it. It's recommendable to make one

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I got the message impossible to install meristaller , what is wrong ?

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
how do you change the clock to display local time?

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
This is great !
Now even a newbie can manage the "advanced" install of Mer.

( Of course, trying to figure out the Mer UI rather recklessly, I had (I thought) to pull out the battery a couple of times. On reboot the screen stopped at the blue screen with the white bar below once or twice.
After I got the hang of the UI, all seemed well.)

Aahh . . , Midori is fast at loading complex pages, (even faster than Tear in maemo ?).

( But why do I crash it every 3d or 4th time I pull the right scroll bar
(after a new page has loaded on clicking a link).)
Midori then asks me to configure it, any tips how?

I installed the picture viewer, but I haven't yet figured out how to make it see files on my FAT partitions, can it?

. . . watching Mer racing towards a glorious future . . .

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Yeah, - I hope to replace Midori with Tear for next release (any better suggestions?). HIM popping up is simply so we can test that HIM works (we are still in development). We hope to get some saner detection later - the input methods you see in Maemo are not open source, besides the framework, so.
I plan on getting it running on my 770 after pre7 and will test it.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Portugal
Hi,
First of all I would like to thank Stskeeps and all the people involved in this project for the incredible work they are doing! I have installed mer 0.9 and now 0.11 on the internal card of my N810 and am trying to get the hang of it...
I am having some issues that I still haven't seen mentioned (probably I haven't read enough, sorry if that's the case).
- wifi disconnects after a few minutes (wpa/wpa2) and cannot reconnect without reboot
- midori crashes a lot (cannot browse at all) - it even crashed the first time it was opened, right after a clean install
All the other issues I will try to find a workaround in the forums - most are probably just a question of finding the correct repos.
Thanks to all and keep up the great work. I wish I could help in the project but I am really a bit useless.
P.S. the mer symbol is BEAUTIFUL!

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jpt000 View Post
Hi,
- wifi disconnects after a few minutes (wpa/wpa2) and cannot reconnect without reboot
- midori crashes a lot (cannot browse at all) - it even crashed the first time it was opened, right after a clean install
WiFi can temporarily be fixed through the power button - enable offline mode, and then enable normal mode again. It resets the WiFi connection (please do read the known issues )

We had forgotten a osso_initialize in Midori (qwerty12 found the problem), so it got killed by hildon desktop and he will be pushing out an update soon.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Concerning my frequent Midori-crashes :
Now I find that Kazehakase under turbo-easy-debian crashes as easily for me as Midori in Mer.
( no previous experience to compare with, but I find no rumours about this )

Is there something maybe basically wrong with my setup ?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
My only other issue is that I cannot get the OSK to pop-up on my gmail sign-in page within Midori on Mer. It pops up when I click on the browser address bar, but not in the web page fields. I did not see this in the known issues list.

Tags
firmware, linux distribution, mer, mer release