Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@HtheB The N900 is certainly sold and marketed as a phone in the UK. I'd never really heard of "Nokia Internet Tablets" until after hitting this forum and I had done some pre-purchase research.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Prague
Switching to portrait mode - i dont know where can be problem , my is fast (suggestion : after two days phone fill-up swap space more then is necessary , i have changed swappiness from 100 to 60 ,and its ok )

For missed calls - Using EDGE connection ?
If yes , this is not phone problem , but technology.
EDGE have same canal for data and voice ,so can't do both in the same time. (solved in 3G)

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Dubai, UAE
Surprisingly this is the first thread here claiming such problems....I've been using the phone since December...never did I come across such issues...plus the community apps are just perfect and make the device a whole lot better !!

Its certainly not the worst phone, it does all that I would want my phone to do (USSD is coming in PR1.2, until then USSD pad ...and fMMS is there for MMS)

another thing that baffles me is people claiming iPhone much better...its just eye candy with a locked platform nothing else...and when comparing N900 to the iPhone people say that N900 can't make calls properly and forget completely about iPhone's excessive dropped calls !!

The N900 is the perfect device that I would want for the next few years !!

for people who don't like the phone, don't come and rant here... you've already decided you don't like it we can't help you....sell it and buy a new one !

Regards

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
besides the problems (are those bugs reported?!?) OP's attitude is unrealistic.

of course I want a 100" led tv that fits to my pocket and runs 100 days with same battery N900 has. too bad I can't seem to find one anywhere....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
@HtheB The N900 is certainly sold and marketed as a phone in the UK. I'd never really heard of "Nokia Internet Tablets" until after hitting this forum and I had done some pre-purchase research.
I wonder exactly how true this is. To me, its blindingly obvious from UK marketing that the device is a tablet first and a phone second.

For example, the device summary from Vodafone:

The Nokia N900 almost makes you wonder if you need a computer.
It's got the power to take you straight to your favourite websites, apps and tracks - without annoying delays. You can set it up exactly as you like, with four home screens and no limit to what goes where.
Entertainment is covered too - with the huge touchscreen, pin sharp music player and smooth video playback.
From now on, you might want to keep your PC switched off.
Granted Vodafone may sell it in their "Phones" section, but that summary doesnt even mention the phone functionality and solely discusses it's use as a mobile computer.

Similarly, the multimultitask adverts being splashed around by Nokia/Vodafone/CPW dont even have the word phone on them, and the splash image showing 6 open apps in the task manager doesn't include the phone - From all intents and purposes from this advert, it's a landscape mobile computer, and not a phone atall.
Additionally, the first search result for "n900" in almost any search engine is the maemo.nokia.com page, at:

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Note the title of the page, and the first splash words on it, are "Nokia N900 mobile computer".
In fact, on that page, there's actually *no reference whatsoever that the device can make/receive phone calls*, the closest thing the page has is one bullet point under the "Fast wireless broadband" section that states "Quadband GSM with GPRS and EDGE", and even that doesnt confirm the device can in fact make calls, rather than just use the GSM modem as a modem.

I don't see how there can be any confusion as to what the device is marketed as.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nidO View Post
Note the title of the page, and the first splash words on it, are "Nokia N900 mobile computer".
In fact, on that page, there's actually *no reference whatsoever that the device can make/receive phone calls*, the closest thing the page has is one bullet point under the "Fast wireless broadband" section that states "Quadband GSM with GPRS and EDGE", and even that doesnt confirm the device can in fact make calls, rather than just use the GSM modem as a modem.

I don't see how there can be any confusion as to what the device is marketed as.
The people who were hanging here before n900 probably will remember pretty well when speculations of n900 started and 3g-modem was semi-officially announced/leaked/something.

the consensus of majority was long that the device is unable to handle phone calls, smses etc. 3g was told to be solely for internet connection, similar to wimax in n810 wimax edition.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The funny thing about these threads is, the OP often tries to bend over backwards to say good things about the N900, and yet is often greeted like a die-hard hater of the N900. This poster specifically refers to many wonderful, unimaginable things the n900 can do. I think that people like that should be given a certain amount of slack. And I can understand why someone with these experiences would refer to this as the worst phone in the world. It's a lot more expensive than tin cans and a piece of string, and I think that tin cans and a piece of string are more reliable -- they don't cause someone to miss the call, I would think.

I typically only make a few calls a week on my N900 -- it's possible that it isn't a great phone for someone who really seriously wants to use the thing that Nokia calls a phone for taking lots of phone calls.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
OP, Im afraid this is what this website has become. If you have a genuine problem with your handset, you'll still get a load of jumped up "members" who haven't even read your post telling you to go buy an iphone. It sounds like you've had a frustrating time, I hope you'll get it sorted.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
I have also noticed that task switching during CPU intensive tasks does cause the phone to stutter (watching video receive call or msg) but I can live with that. The device offers a great deal of flexibility with a finite amount of resources. Things may be improved in time but if they weren't it is not the end of the world. You could try lowering the demands of the video you are watching. If you are playing it locally try lowering the pixel resolution, changing the encoding. I haven't done this myself since I don't see it as an issue but maybe you might find an optimal point between CPU usage and resolution for you. If this does not improve matters then maybe only devs of the firmware can help.

Good luck

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Your reply makes ME angry. Even if its primary function is not to be a phone, there is something on the N900 called a phone. It should act like a phone.
I can make phone calls with my notbook/netbook
(Voipbuster, skype... and some laptops have even a simslot so u can even make calls with that)

Does that make my notebook/netbook a phone???

NO!

Now there's your answer

Tags
kill the infidels, n900 != phone, troll thread, unproductive thread, worst thread ever