Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Backupmenu issue is a problem with text2screen in CSSU-Devel.
Saw some previous posts claiming that backupmenu completely doesn't work & bricks the device.
I suspect some are not aware that there is another distant & somewhat related problem:
- Start off with KP51.
- Backup in full using Backupmenu.
- Upgrade to KP52.
- Restore using last backup.

Above would unlikely work if my reasoning is correct:
  • Start off with KP51.
  • Backup in full using Backupmenu.
    . - Kernel in dedicated NAND partition is KP51.
    . - /lib/modules/current points to KP51 modules.
    . - Note: Can't backup kernel in dedicated NAND partition.
  • Upgrade to KP52.
    . - Kernel in dedicated NAND partition is now KP52.
    . - /lib/modules/current points to KP52 modules.
  • Restore using last backup.
    . - Note: Restore can't restore kernel to dedicated NAND partition.
    . - Kernel in dedicated NAND partition is still KP52.
    . - /lib/modules/current points to KP51 modules as per backup.
    . - KP52 modules are non-existent anywhere (as per backup).

Above results in a "bricked" device as kernel modules can't be found.

I probably had this several counts & had a couple of useless backups as a result. As a result, am much more careful with backups especially when using KP.

kh

Last edited by bozoid; 2013-05-02 at 12:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to bozoid For This Useful Post:
The fact that backupmenu can't backup kernels, is well known - maybe it should be highlighted in backupmenu's readme, or some wiki, to avoid "trap" for new users. Anyway, it's off-topic here, as it doesn't have anything to do with thumb.

Thanks for your question about thumb programs without cssu-thumb (and freeman's answer) - now I understand more about it, I had no idea about never libs being *mandatory* for new toolchain-compiled programs (as opposed to being optional, giving better performance).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by bozoid View Post
... Is libstdc++ & libgcc1 from CSSU Thumb mandatory?

Here's a scenario - Lets assume I have:
- *CSSU Stable*.
- KP52 - we know this has workarounds for an errata.
- Firefox/Fennec (special build for Thumb, linked in required manner).
In above situation, libstdc++ & friends are all non-Thumb versions.
Would Firefox/Fennec still run?
No, as the device with stock libs is missing libstc++ and libgcc1 used during buildtime so you'll have unresolved symbols. Of course you can copy those libs and then the application will run.

All above is really just for better understanding It's coz from reading, your post #1 says we only need following:
1. fix in kernel; &
2. (apps or libs linked in required manner.)
Hmm, maybe you'll want to read it again :P, what is said in the first post is that you need fixed kernel and newer toolchain. "thumb" does not require newer libraries, it is an implicit requirement coming from the diffrent toolchain used

I still intend to create a fresh image with CSSU Thumb, repartition my device, reinstall all my apps one by one, etc.

kh
Why so complicated? Just follow the installation procedure, all your data/applications will remain intact

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bozoid View Post
Saw some previous posts claiming that backupmenu completely doesn't work & bricks the device.
I suspect some are not aware that there is another distant & somewhat related problem:
- Start off with KP51.
- Backup in full using Backupmenu.
- Upgrade to KP52.
- Restore using last backup.

Above would unlikely work if my reasoning is correct:
  • Start off with KP51.
  • Backup in full using Backupmenu.
    . - Kernel in dedicated NAND partition is KP51.
    . - /lib/modules/current points to KP51 modules.
    . - Note: Can't backup kernel in dedicated NAND partition.
  • Upgrade to KP52.
    . - Kernel in dedicated NAND partition is now KP52.
    . - /lib/modules/current points to KP52 modules.
  • Restore using last backup.
    . - Note: Restore can't restore kernel to dedicated NAND partition.
    . - Kernel in dedicated NAND partition is still KP52.
    . - /lib/modules/current points to KP51 modules as per backup.
    . - KP52 modules are non-existent anywhere (as per backup).

Above results in a "bricked" device as kernel modules can't be found.

I probably had this several counts & had a couple of useless backups as a result. As a result, am much more careful with backups especially when using KP.

kh
I've been struggling with my device for the last month to try and understand why restoring my backups don't work - what you said explains a lot. i finally found a backup from 2 months ago with kp51 that worked, but as strange as it is - only after i restored an old rootfs which used multiboot and made the device try to start booting to maemo (this caused the device to boot 2-3 times before it succeeded) and then i started backupmenu from this image to restore my 2 months old image with kp51 and uboot which worked only after these steps.

my problem now is that my current state is with kp52 after many upgrades i did to the device (my own - not with apt-get) because i didn't know about the kp52 issue. i am not doing any apt-get updates any more because if something bricks i wont be able to restore. is there a way to overcome this from current kp52 state? i don't wanna wait for the momemt i'll have to go back to a 2 month old backup cause that's goona be a pain...

Last edited by impeham; 2013-05-03 at 07:32.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@impeham - this is OT here, please ask on the appropriate thread

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
my ram usage is always high due to contacts.. it occupies 35-45mb and ramusage stays at 180-195mb.. my phone lags when ram usage goes beyond 190mb... tried reflashing.. but in vain.. any remedy??

Last edited by visN900; 2013-05-04 at 14:35.

Originally Posted by impeham View Post
... i don't wanna wait for the momemt i'll have to go back to a 2 month old backup cause that's goona be a pain...
@impeham & @Estel, Yes it's OT. I posted details here hoping only to help clarify that some cases of bricked devices isn't caused by CSSU thumb (specifically those related to Backupmenu).
The case I mentioned mentioned KP, & similarity is that CSSU thumb uses a custom kernel or KP (& where incorrect use of Backupmenu would've triggered the issue).

@impeham: Post to the Backupmenu thread or maybe the KP thread, or send me a private message & I may be able to provide some suggestions based on what I know.

kh

Last edited by bozoid; 2013-05-04 at 15:49.

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Why so complicated? Just follow the installation procedure, all your data/applications will remain intact
Thanks for all the responses!
I've got CSSU Stable (lacks many features from CSSU Testing), & many black magic placed on my device. Also introduced a weird defect due to all the black magic. I don't quite have the confidence that a direct upgrade will work that well; besides, I wanna get rid of that defect.

Understanding your stuff here potentially helps me avoid pitfalls when using my black magics in my N900

kh

3g video calls, can use once you get the very want it to be. Skype is also, but not in normal gsm

I've successfully installed the stable version and I really like it.
Could you provide some kind of guide, how to compile packages for that architecture? I'd really like to compile chromium (yes, it's huge).

And if there is a guide, please link it in the first post, so everyone can find it

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I've had the build environment running, but compiling chromium doesn't seem useful. It's hard to get all the dependencies (you'd need to build some of them too afaik) and also it's said to be slow on the n900 anyway, so forget it

Last edited by robotanarchy; 2013-05-14 at 22:26.

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life