Notices

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
Advoid is now in extras + downloads

Advoid uses a downloaded file of adservers from www.mvps.org to amend your systems hostfile. This results in total blockage of any access to these servers. Not only will this block adverts within any browser, it will block access to these servers from any program using URLs and not direct IPs.

There are probably bugs

Please report any found here

Any suggestions, bugfixes, code improvements ( desperately needed ) gratefully recieved.

Rick

Edit: As YoDude correctly pointed out. This program will need the python2.5-runtime in order to work.

Also, I should mention that it comes with a reasonably up-to-date adserver file so there is no immediate need to download another.

Once 'Update System' has been used you probably do not need to run this prog again untill ( or if ) you find any adservers not covered by the current file. You can then either try a new download or add to your personal file.

The program saves your original hosts and when 'Update System' is pressed/clicked it concatenates the original with any personal and then the adserver file and copies to your hostfile.

You should always be able to 'Revert to Default' putting your hostfile back as it was initially before running this program.

There is now a settings screen allowing file loading chunksize, some fontsize settings, enable credit and full screen on loading + 3 different hostfile sources. In filelist display screens use +/- keys for font size.

I don't know about Windows or Mac ( don't use em ) but this works fine on Debian based Linux as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by rcull; 2009-10-21 at 05:42. Reason: Removed warning

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to rcull For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Where on mvps.org does one download a file of adservers?

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Where on mvps.org does one download a file of adservers?
You use the a program button to do this

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Will an un-install from the app manager revert the hosts file to its previous state?

EDIT: Requires Python runtime >> http://pymaemo.garage.maemo.org/installation.html

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-08-25 at 23:03.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Will an un-install from the app manager revert the hosts file to its previous state?
YoDude
There is a 'Revert to Default' Button within the app for this purpose. Then one of the first things the app does is save your /etc/hosts contents in ~/.apvoid/orighosts.

Rick

Last edited by rcull; 2009-08-26 at 06:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcull For This Useful Post:
This is an appreciated addition. I currently use a modified hostfile, manually edited with the www.mvps.org file. An automated process like this will make it much easier to keep up to date.

My question is, should I restore the original hostfile before installing this app and downloading the data, or will it handle the hostfile already in place?

Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
This is an appreciated addition. I currently use a modified hostfile, manually edited with the www.mvps.org file. An automated process like this will make it much easier to keep up to date.

My question is, should I restore the original hostfile before installing this app and downloading the data, or will it handle the hostfile already in place?
HowHH

The first thing the program does is to save your current hostfile in ./advoid/orighosts. If 'Revert to default' is selected then that file is copied back to /etc/hosts so If there is already a copy of mvps in the hostfile on the initial run the only way to revert would be to manually edit ~/.advoid/orighosts or revert and then edit /etc/hosts.

Rick

New release.

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...-0.6-2_all.deb

gui tweeks
Can now add a personal url without displaying files.
Fixed bug in initial copy of /etc/hosts.

Updated link on first post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcull For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
This does a very good job.

Better than my hand edited hosts file... it even kills images that are inserted into mobile formatted sites like >> http://www.6abctogo.com/wap/traffic/...start=1&loc=13

The Dunkin' Donuts ad on ^that page... history.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Indonesia
rcull,
how to delete an url that we add manually from the app?

Tags
adblocking, browser, hostfile