Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
That can be disconcerting for first timers using OneRing - is there a way to popup something like "OneRing has asked GV to give you a Ring. Incoming...!" instead of "Call Disconnected" ?
The UI is controlled by Nokia. The best I could do is programmatically create a chat window and use that to notify the user of issues.

I could even have its greeting be "Hello Dave".

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by epage View Post
I find it interesting that on Google's new GV mobile page they make you call a number which than gets forward rather than them calling you. This could be a major confusion reducer but sometimes its easier to get free callbacks than callouts. Also callbacks fit better within the framework.
This is something that the BB Google Voice app also does - it calls a transient callout number. This actually will eliminate all the confusion - but as you said - it might be more trouble than its worth.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Fremont, CA
Would you mind sending me a part of the log that contains a failed callback?
sure, I have sent private message.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
The UI is controlled by Nokia. The best I could do is programmatically create a chat window and use that to notify the user of issues.

I could even have its greeting be "Hello Dave".
@chat window: not worth it imo - most n900 users ought to know how to come to the forums and read instead of being spoonfed.
otoh, I'm not a ui expert, and non-geeks might like spoonfeeding - so I take back my dissent on chat windows.

@Dave: with a glowing red dot, you'd make geeks all over the world happy.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Since people might have missed it in an earlier post...

Proposal: Contacts be marked as "Away" rather than "Available"

Pro: User can sort for online to find contacts for all other IM protocols
Con: Can't use online to quickly get to TOR contacts
Pro: Can instead go to the list of TOR only contacts which all have the same status so sorting by status doesn't matter.

Status: Originally implemented as away, switched to Available before public beta. On request I've currently switched it back to Away in what will be 0.7.1

Proposal: A GV contact's mobile number gets marked as "Away" and all other numbers get marked as "Extended Away"

Pro: Mobile numbers are more likely to be able to handle texts, sorting by presence could help
Con: Could add confusion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
@chat window: not worth it imo - most n900 users ought to know how to come to the forums and read instead of being spoonfed.
otoh, I'm not a ui expert, and non-geeks might like spoonfeeding - so I take back my dissent on chat windows.

@Dave: with a glowing red dot, you'd make geeks all over the world happy.
I actually think the spoonfeeding could be just as bad because it will randomly popup a window the user has to switch to to get an expanation of whats going on. This can really mess up work flows, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
I just uploaded 0.7.1-0

Note: I have not yet tested it across all platforms. There could be potential issues

Changes
  • Reducing the race window where GV will mark messages as read accidently
  • Modified some things blindly "because thats what Butterfly does"
  • Modified some support files to mimic other plugins on Maemo 5 PR1.1
  • Added link to bug tracker and moved all bugs and enhancements to it
  • Switched contacts to being away by default upon user feedback
  • Adjusting handling of call states to at least allow the option of clients to provide clearer information to the user
  • Fixing some bugs with handling a variety of phone number formats
  • Removed a hack that changed the number being called, most likely put in place in a bygone era

This is not expected to change the support (or lack thereof) for any major features. Now ... I need to go to bed.

Thanks for taking my problem into consideration however the issue is not resolved. Even at an away status, they show up under the Online tab. There is no sort option, simply each messengers name and a consolidated online tab. But it is a step in the right direction

As for my problem not being able to message contacts it has slightly improved with the update but could be a fluke please read. There were 4 contacts that I either changed the name of or added a photo to before installing the new version of TOR. There 4 contracts I am now able to "chat" with however, when I click chat I am greeted with a secondary selection screen where 2 "chat" numbers are shown. One with just TOR icon then the persons number I want to call, the second is TOR icon, "What I named my TOR account" then the persone # I am trying to "chat" with.

I am going to try and start from scratch again and see how things go.

Note: This discussion is Maemo 4.1 specific

Originally Posted by mrdally204 View Post
Thanks for taking my problem into consideration however the issue is not resolved. Even at an away status, they show up under the Online tab. There is no sort option, simply each messengers name and a consolidated online tab. But it is a step in the right direction

As for my problem not being able to message contacts it has slightly improved with the update but could be a fluke please read. There were 4 contacts that I either changed the name of or added a photo to before installing the new version of TOR. There 4 contracts I am now able to "chat" with however, when I click chat I am greeted with a secondary selection screen where 2 "chat" numbers are shown. One with just TOR icon then the persons number I want to call, the second is TOR icon, "What I named my TOR account" then the persone # I am trying to "chat" with.

I am going to try and start from scratch again and see how things go.
I'm still not sure what to do about the issue with not being able to chat.

As for contacts, for some reason (still on 0.7.0) my GV contacts don't appear online. If they did, in the menu under View there is Sort By including "Presence".

I upgraded to 0.7.1-0 on my n900, deleted my account, reboot, re-added and presence (can be used to reduce battery usage) and GV contacts now work. I need to play with system contacts more to get them to work.

EDIT: Presence sort of works, I forgot it didn't offer an invisible presence state. Hmmm

I don't know if removing the account or a reboot is required. At minimum you have to disable the account for a minute if you don't reboot

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5