Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Confirming that videos play seamlessly as well. Cool.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I am a really avid podcast listener and buying a Maemo 5 device is really dependent on being able to use it for podcasts. Seeing that you have ported gPodder makes me a very happy camper. Thanks.

The app is looking already really good and functional. I have one small question though. On my Nokia phones I have problems playing back podcasts like the ones from Engadget and GDGT, as they have some sort of enhanced podcast format with bookmarks and the like. Can anyone confirm whether this will work with gPodder and Maemo

(I am no where close to being a programmer, so I don't know whether this is a gPodder or Media Player thing. Sorry).

TIA.

Regards,

Bas

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
I am a really avid podcast listener and buying a Maemo 5 device is really dependent on being able to use it for podcasts. Seeing that you have ported gPodder makes me a very happy camper. Thanks.
Great to hear that

Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
The app is looking already really good and functional. I have one small question though. On my Nokia phones I have problems playing back podcasts like the ones from Engadget and GDGT, as they have some sort of enhanced podcast format with bookmarks and the like. Can anyone confirm whether this will work with gPodder and Maemo
If you are talking about Enhanced podcasts like the ones used by iPods, then I think playback is possible, but you will not be able to make use of the chapter marks with the 'normal' Media Player.

This article describes how to add chapter marks to files, but it uses an utility that seems to be only available on Mac OS X. Ideally, all podcasts should use an open standard, like ID3v2 Chapters. A tool for adding ID2v2 chapters already exists.

Of course, there's always Panucci, which is a media player specifically created for playing back podcasts and audio books. It's open source, and will be available on Maemo 5 sooner or later. Adding ID3v2 chapter support will be trivial, but I haven't found a way to read chapter data from the AAC files for iPods.

If you send me example files or a link to the feed that contains enhanced podcasts, I can try them out and tell you what works (on Maemo 4) and what does not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Just a quick update after some more investigation: The mp4chaps utility from the mp4v2 project seems to be able to read QuickTime Chapters. I have tested it with the file "Engadget_Podcast_159.m4a", and it displayed the chapters correctly.

This means that it is just a matter of time to get Enhanced podcast support into Panucci. (Enhanced podcast functionality is mostly a thing that should be implemented in the player, and gPodder itself does not playback episodes - one uses the Media Player or Panucci for that). Hope this is good news for you

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thp View Post
This means that it is just a matter of time to get Enhanced podcast support into Panucci. (Enhanced podcast functionality is mostly a thing that should be implemented in the player, and gPodder itself does not playback episodes - one uses the Media Player or Panucci for that). Hope this is good news for you
The Engadget podcast you tried is a perfect example of what I was referring to. From what you are saying, I now understand that it depends on the media player, as gPodder has no problem catching the podcast.

Thanks for confirming playback for me. It is really good to know that such an important functionality will (eventually) be supported!

Cheers!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, I'm using GPodder regularly in Fremantle hardware and it's quite reliable. There are occasional crashes of Python in the backend but well, nothing too bad.

One thing, are you sure that GPodder can't make the browser list it when clicking a feed? I'm no expert but Transmission can make the browser to list it when clicking a torrent...

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Hi, I'm using GPodder regularly in Fremantle hardware and it's quite reliable. There are occasional crashes of Python in the backend but well, nothing too bad.
If you start gPodder with "gpodder --maemo --verbose" in the X-Terminal, and you can reproduce a crash, the output that appears in the X-Terminal might be helpful to see if it's a bug in gPodder or just a crash from Python/Hildon/GTK+.

One thing, are you sure that GPodder can't make the browser list it when clicking a feed? I'm no expert but Transmission can make the browser to list it when clicking a torrent...
What is the "browser" in this context? The web browser? The file browser? The list of podcast episodes? Do you want to open the website of a podcast in the web browser? Or open the download folder of a podcast in the file browser? Or do you mean subscribing to a podcast feed from within the web browser?

I mean clicking the link of a podcast feed in the browser and being offered an option "Add to GPodder"

I mean clicking the link of a podcast feed in the browser and being offered an option "Add to GPodder"
Ah, OK. This is surely something that would be very welcome for mobile users. gPodder can do it, but what needs to be done is to interface gPodder with the browser and set it up to handle feeds (when the browser "sees" an audio/video feed) and optionally also some URI schemes.

I'd probably need help from the browser team, because I would need to know how to set up gPodder (or more generic: some generic application/binary) as a feed handler for audio and video podcasts. And maybe also as a URL handler for pcast://, itms://, itpc:// links (which are some different schemas that work for podcasts and are used on some pages).

Do you know whom I can ask for help in this area? Or should I file a bug report with a documentation request?

What do you see when opening a link like this in the Maemo 5 browser? http://lugradio.org/episodes.rss

I get two options to choose from:

"Add to bookmarks"
"Add shortcut to desktop"

As said Transmission works as expected in relation to the browser. You could ask the developer. I think there was a recent thread explaining how to do it properly. If it's not documented in the Developer Guide then a bug wouldn't hurt...

Tags
beta, fremantle, gpodder, hardware, test