Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by igor View Post
capacitive multitouch has lower resolution than resistive and anyway the screen is not so large, so having 2+ fingers on it doesn't really leave much space to actually see what one is touching and finally
To be honest, it IS somewhat useful in games, though, when your device has no proper button input for them (e.g. joystick/DPAD/trackpad and such). and cases when you're not really looking at the screen (e.g. when used as a remote controller/instrument/whatnot), but those are not exactly the most common use-cases. Apple (and people/entities like engadget) really does play out that one pony trick to extremes, though...

Wanted to link a picture of a can to prove your point but the board curse filter mangled the link, so no disturbing images in this post

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I don't get the reluctance for multi-touch. In some uses, it's quite useful. As mentioned before, it's very useful in some games too.

Not having it in Maemo 5 isn't a bad thing. However having it wouldn't be a bad thing either.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I don't get the reluctance for multi-touch. In some uses, it's quite useful. As mentioned before, it's very useful in some games too.

Not having it in Maemo 5 isn't a bad thing. However having it wouldn't be a bad thing either.
But if the price to pay is to give up stylus and resolution, i'm not sure I'm ready for it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
But if the price to pay is to give up stylus and resolution, i'm not sure I'm ready for it.
Plus battery life and additional cost.

Care to explain why would you have to give up the stylus?

That's just one input point/touch. And multiple touch kills the battery? Care to source that? And I don't mean opinion either.

From dealing with iosubsys as well as custom built multi-touch kiosks (.NET, Java and Flash/Flex) for years, it (the API nor drivers) does not tax the CPU in any measurable amount that I've seen.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Current capacitive displays do not work with styluses, since they require a large-ish capacitive surface (i.e. usually the flesh of a finger). Styluses are generally not made from such materials. And so far all the capacitive styluses I've seen are really large and somewhat clumsy apparatus.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Ah... okay, now I follow the whole capacitive versus resistive argument portion of the aforementioned opinion.

I'm just wondering why would it mean a drop in battery though?

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
You mixed something up. It's not hackery, it's a public, not even remotely illegal, well documented (and not that complicated) procedure of flashing a device.

Nokia can't really charge for it, that would kill the whole point of having an open source OS.

Without no clue just what the next generation's HW specification is, it's just too early to tell even if it's possible, much less if Nokia wants to do it. For the record, the N800 did get an OS upgrade (free) after the N810 was released, but N810 HW is close to N800. N900 HW is NOT close to N8x0.
Dude are u from NOKIA side?
they are loser can't see why they release N900??
because they lost for 2years now.
i'm sure we must see everything logic.
from my side i think i have right to get OS upgrade even pay for it but get OS, because when i can save my money for better things why i should pay them to NOKIA.

just look around all HTC and samsung , Toshiba , Gigabyte ...give the OS upgrade to their phone ( win 6.1 to win 6.5).
are they doing wrong things?

any way i see no big deal with NOKIA , sorry guys but i must say that.
remmeber when N95 come?
it has OMAP 2420 , gpu ..etc. and also come with H/W game call system rush which have really cool graphic but after 3 years what we have?

no good game for OMAP 2420 and i can tell u ( N95 +N95 8GB +N82) sold more than 40,000,000 PCs together.
so what u think?

ok guys, we will see but don't forget : ****HISTORY REPEAT****

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Why does multitouch imply capacitive? There are resistive multitouch screens as well...

gerbick, it kills the battery because a resistive screen is "passive" while a capacitive screen is "active." This means that there has to be more electricity pumped to the touch screen for it to be touchable.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Why does multitouch imply capacitive? There are resistive multitouch screens as well...

gerbick, it kills the battery because a resistive screen is "passive" while a capacitive screen is "active." This means that there has to be more electricity pumped to the touch screen for it to be touchable.
But how much? I mean, all it has to do is notice that it's being utilized by two inputs and not one.

For what it's worth, I'm going by my kiosk background and it's not that much of a difference if any at all if you detect one or two (or multiple) inputs. You just have to code for that.

Tags
future, gestures, harmattan, maemo, maemo 6, multitouch, qt framework, speculation