Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I dont know why and by whom you were sent around to find some place to post this...
The bug, #8240, was resolved "MOVED" with Kham being directed to Brainstorm. Given a hardware limitation in the N900 bars its use with AT&T's 3G, I'm not clear on exactly what Kham is expected to brainstorm. My only guess (and it's a stretch) is that this may be seen as a method of collecting votes for additional or different frequency support in future Maemo devices.

Yeah, basically, or see if there is any hardware "hack" available. Also, I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the hardware difference between the WCDMA and EDGE frequencies, and why they cannot be edited through software/firmware changes?

Also, "US proprietary frequencies" they are not. Also used in Canada, South America, and Australia, I believe. So, this would certainly help Nokia's market share.

-----Kham

Last edited by Kham; 2010-01-21 at 19:07. Reason: Additonal response

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
Great research Kham, I do support your effort
keep going on.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
there are 2 other thread that where discussing the same issue 1 and 2 months ago. one was AT&T, the other changing frequency and has I remember nothing can be done except hardware

I do remember those threads but the conclusions are not determinant, that is why ppl keep trying it. See the right side, it is good 4 every1 know about the real issue on it.

Had the feeling that the hardware supports it just because of "regulations,strategy,etc" it is just limited to the bands released.

If there is a way of course I will use it here for Perú 850-3G. Hack, trick,Swap chip, SW tunning up, etc. that could be useful for many.

So, what cellphone component or linux package/library/BIOS controls the BANDS ?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Now I get it... talking about wcdma frequencies
I think its f range the chip can tune to at the hardware side.
Which ranges are supported is highly up to the manufacturer; you can have this discussion for all continents... some phones for N/S-America wont fit for Europe... and the other way round.

Submitted to Brainstorm!! PLEASE VOTE!!

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...y_support-002/

Last edited by Kham; 2010-01-22 at 17:23.

1year later... done