I got a serious question about n900 scrolling.

It's embarrassing that the N900 scrolling is so bad, it's literally the worst in the history and it's making me crazy that I can't find a solution to make it smooth and enjoyable.

How can I make it smoother?

no offtopic
no "Get a Iphone!!!", because I do have it and it sucks so bad compared to n900...

One reason is that the driver for graphics chip doesn't recognize the vertical sync (or whatever, when the screen draw has been done - let's not start another argument about this please ).

A couple of programs has still made it quite good, e.g. Opera and CouldGPS. That's probably the best there is, and at least I could live with that. If only we could get that in main screen, etc!

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
WTF!? Scrolling works fine for me.

If my N900 is busy doing other things (ie, installing updates) then it gets a bit jerky, but then it's understandable. My desktop PC does the same.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
WTF!? Scrolling works fine for me.

If my N900 is busy doing other things (ie, installing updates) then it gets a bit jerky, but then it's understandable. My desktop PC does the same.
I find that when you compare it to Android or iPhone the scrolling is indeed much less fluent. I think it's an underlying problem which is not as easy to tackle as one might think. Otherwise I think they'd solved it a long time ago.
Probably the drawback of Hildon.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I think that scrolling is not consistent across differen menus and views but itīs still far away from what i would call bad experience. On the other hand my measurement is calibrated to Nokias earlier products which are well quite horrendous when talking about fluent animation.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8116
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7481
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5455

This is not about animation but this really bothers me sometimes:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8420

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zillertal View Post
One reason is that the driver for graphics chip doesn't recognize the vertical sync (or whatever, when the screen draw has been done - let's not start another argument about this please ).

A couple of programs has still made it quite good, e.g. Opera and CouldGPS. That's probably the best there is, and at least I could live with that. If only we could get that in main screen, etc!
I haven't used CloudGPS, but Opera's scroll speed and smoothness is great. Ideally someone would create a slider that you could adjust in preferences/settings to make scrolling through applications and menus smoother and faster.
Its surprising how "sluggish" the device feels because of this sort of design.

Originally Posted by Mr. Ben View Post
I haven't used CloudGPS, but Opera's scroll speed and smoothness is great. Ideally someone would create a slider that you could adjust in preferences/settings to make scrolling through applications and menus smoother and faster.
Its surprising how "sluggish" the device feels because of this sort of design.
Exactly! Increasing the framerate would help, but make the tearing effect more visible. I would still choose better framerate! Any possibilities to hack this? Even just the desktop view?

CloudGPS is a great example of the potential. Kinetic scrolling feels perfect, and scrolling is really smooth. If only all software on N900 would be like this! It's not about the performance, that's for sure.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
The toolkit seems to matter--all of the Qt apps I've used have fluid drawing and scrolling.