Originally Posted by andy_x_net View Post
-And my software updater is saying that my win 7 is not yet supported so cant innstal it....
Right click on the installer and look for a tab with Compatibility. Go safe and check it to be compatible with WinXP SP3 and click Run as Administrator.

That should do.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Dave Dickson is also a name well known in the mobile space. I wish everyone knew the major players in the game and treated them as such. We shouldn't have to earn respect. It should be given and received by default, regardless who we are.

I back everything you've said 100%, Dave. I'm ready to abandon ship if things don't improve with everyone's attitude. Even Ray Charles can see there's a problem. How long will w be in denial?

I have done download pages and guides before, and can do them on MF. But why do double work? We don't need a comittee to do it, just effort from anyone asked. It would cut down on all the time wasted answering the same question over and over.

BTW, how do you make screenshot without the yellow bar? I'm using Load Applet. Is there another tool?
Exactly right about the respect, everyone should have it automatically.

Thanks for your support, I was just trying to help.

Jay, I do apologise if you thought I was being rude asking you to re-read, but come on "This, maybe?" I'm sorry thats sounds sarcastic to me, plus not what I was asking for either. Friendly nudge -> two word posts are GOING to get misunderstood. It takes literally two second to add "Maybe this will help?" and then there is no confusion. There are so many posts of sarcastic people ripping into newbies are you suprised my back was up from the get go??

Christexaport --> I totally agree we can just do it and upload it, the only reason I wanted it to be public and by comittee was some order to who is doing what, saves us both doing the same one

The thread below is probably the best place for this discussion --> I have what I want from this one so I am out of here. Look forward to talking more on here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...411#post399411

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Yes, that's what I hear on the street.
If only you knew...

I don't know about that. To have your actions reflect upon a company would probably require them knowing who you are and acknowledging you.
I have to say, Nokia has been good to me. Using a loaner N900 right now until mine is delivered. Gotten more free devices than I've bought. In fact, I've owned every Symbian N and Eseries device save the N91, N92, N85 and N86, as well as some lessor models, but have only bought 7 out of pocket. I speak weekly to various Nokia spokespeople and managers, and really feel valued by them. Big reason I'm quick to pick up the pom poms. LOL.

Nokia keeps me off the streets, real talk. I used to be a baller out here in these streets. Guitar Center was like my 7-Eleven. Spent more on mics than a year's rent in a day multiple times. Now I'm a blogger/promoter. All with Nokia's support. And evidently they're as proud as I. It keeps me going. So don't buy it now, but its the real and I'm what that is.

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post

Debian package was example - not actually what I was trying to explain. Again I said, I had read the main thread - ok bit vague should have sited, and it didn't explain everything I wanted to know.

My Main point - why is there no where with more detailled guide lines and walkthroughs for common/difficult tasks? No answer - no suggestions from you??

....... SO...... any ideas to why there is no area for walkthroughs for newbies or you just going to carry on with the sarcy comments?

If anyone else is interested in walkthroughs for difficult/non standard installs, I would be happy to learn how to do them, install them on my N900 (with photos/screenshots) and post them after a vetting from a helpful senior member, vote now......
The developer is more concerned with making it work rather than posting a walkthrough for how to install it. The people who are likely testing it are more concerned with reporting bugs, issues then writing a walkthrough for it. Which takes time (and people aren't being paid to be here).

So for anyone else who wants to learn how to use it their options are to read up on the posts, or to wait till someone has time to post a guide. But given how small the community was, most people have been in the developer, or testing role.

Given all the new people here that want to see things change I see it as a perfect opportunity for them to read through the posts and learn and then create a walkthrough for everyone else. It's a perfect opportunity since Maemo 5 and the n900 is relatively fresh (less to read right now). Especially those who actually have the device.

And like I pointed out before, there is a wiki so there has been attempts made to centralize the information. It's more an issue of time.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Right click on the installer and look for a tab with Compatibility. Go safe and check it to be compatible with WinXP SP3 and click Run as Administrator.

That should do.
Thanks, stupid me i shuld figure that out my self. Just realy frustrated been too much beind this pc with my n900 in my hands trying for it to work as i want it tooo

Have to take break....

The Following User Says Thank You to andy_x_net For This Useful Post:
Don't feed the trolls ladies.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
If only you knew...

I have to say, Nokia has been good to me. Using a loaner N900 right now until mine is delivered. Gotten more free devices than I've bought. In fact, I've owned every Symbian N and Eseries device save the N91, N92, N85 and N86, as well as some lessor models, but have only bought 7 out of pocket. I speak weekly to various Nokia spokespeople and managers, and really feel valued by them. Big reason I'm quick to pick up the pom poms. LOL.

Nokia keeps me off the streets, real talk. I used to be a baller out here in these streets. Guitar Center was like my 7-Eleven. Spent more on mics than a year's rent in a day multiple times. Now I'm a blogger/promoter. All with Nokia's support. And evidently they're as proud as I. It keeps me going. So don't buy it now, but its the real and I'm what that is.
I think I'm going to be sick

I'm out. But thanks for explaining your interest in Maemo...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The developer is more concerned with making it work rather than posting a walkthrough for how to install it. The people who are likely testing it are more concerned with reporting bugs, issues then writing a walkthrough for it. Which takes time (and people aren't being paid to be here).

So for anyone else who wants to learn how to use it their options are to read up on the posts, or to wait till someone has time to post a guide. But given how small the community was, most people have been in the developer, or testing role.

Given all the new people here that want to see things change I see it as a perfect opportunity for them to read through the posts and learn and then create a walkthrough for everyone else. It's a perfect opportunity since Maemo 5 and the n900 is relatively fresh (less to read right now). Especially those who actually have the device.

And like I pointed out before, there is a wiki so there has been attempts made to centralize the information. It's more an issue of time.
I didn't necessarily mean the developer to write it, just someone, anyone, myself included.

My point was there was not all the information that I needed on the thread (the easy debian one is very good, but doesn't cover everything).

So central document, which can be edited by anyone would be the way forward. Plus points = central document for update editing, exact location on the wiki with "How to" at the start (everyone knows where and what they are).

I tried to search when I first came on here to find out myself how to get open office on the N900 and when I typed into search this was like 20 down on the list: [Debian] ANNOUNCE: Easy Debian Turbo-Charged Edition! Plus the fact that I had no clue what "easy debian" was, so why would I have gone on it to read it?

Only after I posted did someone tell me that I was looking for that, so central document with easy naming convention would be big plus to newbies.

I think what people missed was the fact that I would be happy to write ALL of them (lots of free time - I work offshore ) but I just wanted somewhere to put them! LOL I wanted a bit of a tech guide from the dev then expand that and make it easy for the general user. I know its a bit more work for them, but they can do a really bare bones doc which gives the rest of us mid-level users enough to go on to expand. And then everyone can point questions at us or search the expanded doc, taking the load actual away from the dev. Btw it wasn't just a walkthrough I wanted it was a knowledge page for all user levels.

Hope that makes sense....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Are you high, or just like hearing your own (typing?) voice???
I'm sick of being a self employed freelancer, so no green for me at the moment. Hardest thing about working for someone else. And of course I love reading my own words. ;P

I wasn't personalizing that, and it doesn't just apply to you, but me and everyone else here. "He started it" is so unbecoming of adults, and just fuels the fire. Who'll end it?

Good to know.

Nokia + Guitar Center = Chris won't be smoking crack.
No. Good common sense did that. Maemo/Nokia/Symbian keep me from robbing, killing, stealing, pimping, and SELLING crack and various other illegal libations. I'm pro NORML, but very anti drug.

Mobiles has replaced music lately. Just not enough money flowing around right now. It'll comeback, though.

Tags
maemocannonfodder, maemoredshirt, sell crack for n900 money