Active Topics

Not to hijack this thread, however would effort not be better spent figuring out which stuff can be removed from the flashable firmware image to be flashed to a fresh/broken n900?

I mean removing the zzz scripts from rcs.d? Wtf is the point?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Not to hijack this thread, however would effort not be better spent figuring out which stuff can be removed from the flashable firmware image to be flashed to a fresh/broken n900?
Sure. The problem here is that some packages may be irrelevant for some, but very important for others.

So the thread as a whole doesn't really have a point. Other than just an experiment of what packages can be removed (whether you need them or not) without bricking the N900

The point is cleaning up obsolete debris from ancient Maemo versions, even though it's completely non-functional. I for one like to have a clean system (as clean as I can).

But discussion about non-packages (init scripts) could maybe fit better in the boot process thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Not from rcS.d, from event.d. But point taken, now back to the topic. I have successfully removed osso-notes with all its l10n dependencies. Works fine, just make sure you have an alternative text editor installed. In my case leafpad.

I did not save much space BTW. Osso-notes plus with all its l10n ballast is about the same size as leafpad. But at least it is only one package, taking up one line in FAM etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not from rcS.d, from event.d. But point taken, now back to the topic. I have successfully removed osso-notes with all its l10n dependencies. Works fine, just make sure you have an alternative text editor installed. In my case leafpad.

I did not save much space BTW. Osso-notes plus with all its l10n ballast is about the same size as leafpad. But at least it is only one package, taking up one line in FAM etc.
You could probably ditch osso-sketch and osso-rss as well. They both suck too.

Although I actually quite like osso-notes. I like the way it autosaves everything. I is just a shame it does not have a tabbed interface and the ability to paste images into the notes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
I is just a shame it does not have a tabbed interface and the ability to paste images into the notes.
PITA to read and edit files on another device too, due to it saving everything in HTML.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You could probably ditch osso-sketch and osso-rss as well. They both suck too.
Yeah, I've forgotten about those. Yes, ditched them a while ago. Notes was a close call, but leafpad narrowly won.

Although I actually quite like osso-notes. I like the way it autosaves everything. I is just a shame it does not have a tabbed interface and the ability to paste images into the notes.
I liked the fact that pulling the stylus across the screen highlighted text, like a mouse does on a desktop PC. Leafpad scrolls the text instead. But I did not like that you could not have two instances open simultaneously. That was its downfall for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
The biggest file I'd like to get rid of is the locale cache and unused locale data from rootfs. I only use one language so would love to blow away/rebuild this 22.8MB file (safely). I've got about 50MB freee on rootfs, so it's not currently a burning issue, and I haven't seen any process that looks foolproof on the n900 like there was on the n810 (the localepurge script).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
due to it saving everything in HTML.
With Notes, go into options and set it to "Plain Text".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
The biggest file I'd like to get rid of is the locale cache and unused locale data from rootfs. I only use one language so would love to blow away/rebuild this 22.8MB file (safely). I've got about 50MB freee on rootfs, so it's not currently a burning issue, and I haven't seen any process that looks foolproof on the n900 like there was on the n810 (the localepurge script).
(as root)
# apt-get install locales

then create /etc/locale.gen, the contents of the file should look something like:
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

then run:
# locale-gen

you /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive should be much smaller than before.

if that's OK, you can stop there. If you want more, you can remove lots of things from /usr/share/locale, *BUT BE CAREFUL* some languages "depend" on others, so leave it for now until this is well documented.

(e.g.
en_US requires iso14651_t1 and en_GB)
de_DE requires i18n, iso14651_t1

also translit_cjk_compat for some reason)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
(as root)
# apt-get install locales

then create /etc/locale.gen, the contents of the file should look something like:
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

then run:
# locale-gen

you /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive should be much smaller than before.

if that's OK, you can stop there. If you want more, you can remove lots of things from /usr/share/locale, *BUT BE CAREFUL* some languages "depend" on others, so leave it for now until this is well documented.

(e.g.
en_US requires iso14651_t1 and en_GB)
de_DE requires i18n, iso14651_t1

also translit_cjk_compat for some reason)
Alternatively you could just copy /usr/lib/locale to /opt and symlink it back.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post: