Active Topics

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Ostensibly an eBook reader but with a 800x600 screen and wifi, plus the full Internet experience (apparently). The screen isn't backlit and I'm not sure it's even color. It includes a keyboard, of sorts, but not one that you'll ever touchtype on.

It will cost $399.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/official/...ing-324129.php

It's interesting that Apple and now Amazon are producing handheld Internet devices almost by accident -- desktop-quality browsing and email in a device whose main task is something else.

The Following User Says Thank You to rs-px For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Grand Rapids, MI
You're mistaken if you think that these devices offer "desktop-quality browsing".

eInk display technology is very slow. But it's clear in daylight and uses no power to maintain the image.

It's wonderful for eBook reading, but very poor for web browsing.

Everyone keeps chiming in on how these things don't have a backlight, but they don't seem to get that is th whole point. With e-ink, the image essentially sits on the surface of the display and is extremely high contrast. You can view the screen in full direct sunlight, whereas a backlight LCD screen washes out. The real criticism is why there is no front/edge lighting built in to be able to use the screen in the dark. You are essentially limited to using the device like you would use a real book...fine in the day but need to turn a light on to read in bed.

Eink advantages over LCD:

-very low battery useage, essentially only during a state change
-extremely high contrast, looks similar to a dark grey pencil on paper
-direct sunlight visibility
-extremely thin, with very large and flexible displays a possibility

Disadvantages
-The screen update methods currently require several seconds. Fine for fairly static pages, but not for video or anything moving. Even the "best" update/screen refresh methods can leave a bit of a ghost image of the last page displayed behind and these update methods produce an inverse flash effect which I find quite distracting.
-Currently limited to a 4-16 shades of grey
-Can't read without some external illumination

BTW, the Kindle is ugly as sin and looks to have poor ergonomics. As much as I hate Sony, their latest version of the reader is quite attractive and svelte. It is about a hundred bucks cheaper too.

No mention of WiFi or Bluetooth? That would tie it to EV-DO/CDMA, making it barely useful outside the Americas, or, given that Amazon seems to have some integrated device and data plan (there is no mention of it needing an extra SIM card and data plan), probably not even outside the US. Besides, EV-DO (much like EDGE, its GSM counterpart) is much less useful than 3G for internet access thanks to its large round-trip delays.

Sevo

(merged thread)

Wow, I think Amazon has a hit on Kindle -- a book reader that has built-in, no-subscription-needed EVDO. Amazon definitely kills the Sony Reader with Kindle. The only negative thing about it is the price ($399).

Product page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Video: http://prolvideo.thomson.com/176060/demo.mov

Now, what can Nokia learn from this. Hmm...

Plus it's DRM'd to hell. Wake me up when they talk about being able get RSS streams for free instead of for a subscription price, when I can get read PDFs and Ebooks that I already have, on my terms. A 400 buck vector to sell me more crap does not interest me.

Oh, and the thing looks like 1985 got really drunk and vomited all over the drafting table. There. I said it.

The Following User Says Thank You to DingerX For This Useful Post:
Actually, you can convert your own files for free as long as they are in the following formats: .AZW, .PRC, .MOBI, .MP3, .AA and .TXT

Just put them all to the SD card.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
If it could share it's EVDO via wifi, then I might buy one to use as a gateway for my N800 ;-) (and be willing to pay for an unlimited EVDO feed for doing so).

But, regardless of the whole "you should read your ebooks on eink blah blah blah" thing, I'd rather have this content available on my N800. Is there a way to take Amazon's ebook content and read it on Maemo? If no, then I wont care about Amazon's content. If yes, then I might buy their content and use it on my tablet.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Oh, one thing to be wary of.... I heard (via mykindle.com I think?) that each kindle has its own dedicated email address. For direct marketing.

yet another reason why I wouldn't want to use their device.

Finally a (what seems to be) usable ebook reader... But would somebody slap the designers around for a bit....??? Holy cow this is one of the ugliest gadgets i've seen in a while...