Active Topics

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
You're mistaken if you think that these devices offer "desktop-quality browsing".

eInk display technology is very slow. But it's clear in daylight and uses no power to maintain the image.

It's wonderful for eBook reading, but very poor for web browsing.
When I say "desktop-quality browsing", I'm referring to two things: The size of the display, in pixels, and the applications.

The Nokia tablets offer desktop-quality browsing, whereas mobile phones offer a cut-down rendition of browsing because of small screens and incomplete browser software (no Flash or AJAX).

Actually screen quality is an additional issue that I hadn't taken into account. I wasn't aware of the eink technology, so that sounds like the Kindle really is little more than a specific tool for reading ebooks.

Incidentally, my two cents on ebook readers (above all the obvious points, such as that people LIKE paper books) -- something that's plastic is unpleasant to hold for long periods. One nice thing about paper is that it soaks up your hand sweat/grease. Paper is much more organic and we like that.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Is there a way to take Amazon's ebook content and read it on Maemo?
Yes, for the N8x0. (770's SOL on this one.)
Point the webcam at the Kindle, take pictures, look at them later.
I have no information on this, but I highly doubt it will work any other way than camera or slightly more sophisticated framebuffer grabs. (For a few months, then someone may break it.)

WRT EVDO, slow RTT, who cares? eink screens update slow enough that that will be much less problematic.

I hate saying this, since I really want to love (and get) an e-ink device, but I don't really see the point of the Kindle, unless you really need some titles that are only available through Amazon.
The XO-1 seems to be better, and BOGO for the same price. The 1200x900 hybrid reflective/transmissive screen should be great for ebooks. Not quite as good of contrast as e-ink, and slightly more power consumption, but I think the higher resolution is key. Plus fast page changes, and even scrolling down rather than page changes, so you read more in a given time period.
And the XO is better for other tasks. If you're paying $400 for an e-book reader that browses and emails, you may as well get one that does it well.
The N800, of course, is also awesome for ebooks. But the screen is probably a little small (physically, not pixels) if that's your primary use, plus not daylight-friendly. And the battery life, while awesome, is not quite all-day power (in my usage pattern).
If I needed a dedicated eBook reader though, I'd jump for the XO before this. Hopefully Amazon doesn't scrap it though, and makes a Kindle 2 later. That'll be a real device, and I'll probably get one.

The DRM along with the high price of the ebooks are deal killers for me. Drop the book price to somewhere below the cost of a standard paperback and lose the DRM and I'd be all over it.

I think it will have a big follower. Non-techie people in the business sector is I think is its primary market. I'm guessing we'll see the Kindle a lot in airports soon.

As for me, I'd like to see the Kindle (or a similar e-ink device) in schools where books, lectures, and papers are all in electronic format and contained in one device.

Btw, If you need to convert a doc/pdf to an ebook format, MobiPocket has a free tool (for PC only): http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ilsCreator.asp

I use my Sony Reader everyday and have loved it. In no way would I do web browsing on an e-ink display. The screen is too slow for anything but linear reading. Even school books, where you flip through certain portions, would only be a headache.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
As for me, I'd like to see the Kindle (or a similar e-ink device) in schools where books, lectures, and papers are all in electronic format and contained in one device.
I think that kind of depends. For one, I think at the elementary level (5yrs - 11yrs old), that actual books might be better. Not sure if the middle school/jr. high school level would fit here as well (11-13/14 years old).

At the high school level, then it might make sense. And definitely at the college level (where it could dramatically reduce the tons of books some people have to carry).

But ... I think ultimately, even at the college level, I would have wanted to have both an ebook reader AND some of my books on paper. For example, having a book I can read and physical mark up and take physical notes upon would have been essential for some classes. But then having that same book on an e-reader for reference, for reading on the fly, etc. would have been rather useful and convenient as well.

And I say that even if there's a way to do highlighting and notations in the e-reader... I would still want to have a physical page for doing some of that. Probably about 1 in 10 of my books would have needed to be physical, but my point is: 1 in 10 would have needed to be physical books.

So, having 100% of my books on e-ink, and 10% of my books in hand ... then the ability to highlight and mark the physical book ... and then transcribe those physical notes and highlights to my ebook (or, for the books I don't have physical copies of, taking direct notes and highlights on the ebook) ... that would indeed have been quite useful.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Kindle.... subscription based browsing ($13.99/month for the New York Times, $2/month for BoingBoing blog) that I can do for free on WiFi, a $400 price tag and EV-DO that doesn't work anywhere but the States - are Amazon nuts? Why didn't they consider Bluetooth tethering or would this have scuppered their already ridiculous business model?

To be honest this thing has failure written all over it, more so than the Palm Foleo - if it were sold at a loss, something like $100, it might have a chance with the subscription model but at full price AND subscriptions - no thanks. Amazon would do better to support the Nokia tablets, perhaps as a partner to allow easy eBook downloads.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
re: EVDO is US only.

a) that's not true ... it's also available in certain east asian countries
b) even so, I bet that this is initially a pilot run, and if it is a success, they'll come up with GSM and/or WiMAX versions for non-CDMA markets.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Different devices in each region wouldn't have been necessary if Amazon followed the Nokia approach and used Bluetooth tethering but then Amazon would have to somehow offer the cut price data plans on existing contracts... and they still somehow have to ink agreements with at least one service provider in each country they release into - a logistical nightmare that could see the Kindle released only in the USA.

The lack of any WiFi connection is also quite bizarre but again it's omission serves only to reinforce the business model. Pretty naff all round really.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-11-19 at 21:39.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I think people miss the point with the subscription charges - this is basically to cover the wireless cellular access, but I think it's fairer - if you don't download any new books you pay nothing. don't want the NYT, doesn't cost you anything.

how many people have monthly payments on the cell/mobile phone and have to "use them or lose them"?

the nice thing about kindle is that prices are well understood, it's not a confusopoly (ask Scott Adams) which cell/mobile phones are based on, you want the book, you get it.

as for using the kindle as a gateway for another device to access the net, I am sure that the data contract Amazon signed specifically ensures you can only access the Amazon site, they do all the RSS aggregation and reformatting onto their device, hence they also give you an email address and thus ensure you device is kept safely in a "walled garden".

having said all that, I would be very interested in a Kindle in the UK if it were cheaper and I could hack it so I could use it as a more general purpose device.

--edit-- at least according to earlier reports, the kindle runs linux:
"screen is 600x800 with a six-inch diagonal, and uses the same E Ink technology as Sony's Reader. The Kindle comes with 256 MB of RAM, and the Linux-based operating system leaves 180MB of that for user content"
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ok-market.html

Last edited by speculatrix; 2007-11-19 at 21:46.