Active Topics

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
GSM on (2G only, no data). WiFi on (checking every 10 minutes), Modest set up as above. Bluetooth off. No calls, only about 2 or 3 SMS a day. In a known WiFi coverage area for about 50% of the time. If I leave the phone be like that, it manages for slightly longer than those 48 hours. The hard part is to resist playing with it, so in real life it usually lasts about a day.

I have not yet tried leaving it completely idle, with everything off.
I think the Wifi might make some difference, but it's difficult to quantify how much. I also wonder if it would be more (or might be actually less) efficient to have an Alarmed entry to connect to Wifi, check email, and disconnect from Wifi every 10 minutes instead of leaving the Wifi on.

IIRC Nokia specced the battery to last around 10 days on standby (only GSM on). I've gotten very close to that, which is surprising for a 3+ year old battery.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
After having a short look into your powertop I need to say I am afraid of an HW damage/drainage (there are other examples like that on TMO).

To fully verify you would need to flash, and test again...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
What in powertop does suggest that it's hw related?

Should I do a emmc+rootfs flash, or will rootfs only suffice?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I have one account in modest (I can't imagine my life without it - I know about no other finger-friendly e-mail for N900). How did you find out that it's modest.

I don't use Skype, Google Talk is turned off.

Today the phone was standby almost all the time, (only made 2 calls straight before the battery turned dead) and even though hardly used, it lasted only 7 hours. I'll italicize it: 7 hours on standby with only GSM network

There was some time after exchaning the batteries that I had more than 2 days of uptime. Then I'd charge when battery was less than 20%. Another thing that I experienced shutdown with no possibilites to boot up with 10-15% a couple of times.

Recently I've charged to 100% after it's drained to 0% because the battery drains before I get back home...
There's definitely something very wrong.

Maybe this can help you, but it won't hurt you anyway...

My battery is over 3 years old, and about 14 months into its life, I started getting very bad battery life. I had never been very disciplined about how to charge the battery, so I decided to start doing it more consistently.

I started letting the battery drain to 0% (making sure the last few hours it drained while idle, so no high power consumption). Then, I would charge it until the LED turned green (do not let it connected overtime), and then reboot the phone (not always, but every few cycles, and definitely the first few times you follow this routine).

It seemed to work for me, as my battery life improved greatly.

The reason you want to let the last few hours of battery drain be under idle conditions is because under stress, the battery will sometimes report 0% when it actually isn't (or this is my theory based on observation, anyway).

Some people like Estel have done some serious research on N900 batteries, and they have posted very useful information in the forum.

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-09-30 at 16:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
I think the Wifi might make some difference, but it's difficult to quantify how much. I also wonder if it would be more (or might be actually less) efficient to have an Alarmed entry to connect to Wifi, check email, and disconnect from Wifi every 10 minutes instead of leaving the Wifi on.
Sorry, what I meant was the WiFi settings: check every 10 minutes for known networks, log in automatically. Emails are checked every 30 minutes.

Of course WiFi makes a difference. When not logged in, the phone does not check for emails and software updates. That's why I specified that it was logged in for about half the time.

OP, I also suspect a HW fault. Possibly a trivial one, like an old battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
The reason you want to let the last few hours of battery drain be under idle conditions is because under stress, the battery will sometimes report 0% when it actually isn't (or this is my theory based on observation, anyway).
A battery's internal resistance increases as it is being discharged. What it means is that the difference between voltages at low load and at high load increases. For example, a fully charged battery may show let's say 4.25V at 25mA and 4.15V at 1A, a drop of 0.1V. The same battery may show 0.5V or more drop when nearly discharged. The situation gets gradually worse as the battery ages.

One practical implication may be tbat a battery discharged to say 20% may suddenly drop to zero when the load suddenly increases. I had a case of a very old battery that made very distorted phone calls at 90% and rebooted the phone when a call was received at 60%.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
A battery's internal resistance increases as it is being discharged. What it means is that the difference between voltages at low load and at high load increases. For example, a fully charged battery may show let's say 4.25V at 25mA and 4.15V at 1A, a drop of 0.1V. The same battery may show 0.5V or more drop when nearly discharged. The situation gets gradually worse as the battery ages.

One practical implication may be tbat a battery discharged to say 20% may suddenly drop to zero when the load suddenly increases. I had a case of a very old battery that made very distorted phone calls at 90% and rebooted the phone when a call was received at 60%.
Thank you for explaining the scientifical reason for this behavior.

That old battery you mention was indeed on its last legs.

OP, I also suspect a HW fault. Possibly a trivial one, like an old battery.
The same battery seems to work nice in my spare N900. Has ~2 days of uptime if used only for playing audio tracks.

Or maybe the SIM card is the one to blame?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
What in powertop does suggest that it's hw related?
Nothing!

Should I do a emmc+rootfs flash, or will rootfs only suffice?
And thatbis the reason I suggested flashing. A rootfs should be sufficient, but to be on the safe side I would do a full flash.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I'll do a full reflash as soon as I've done a full backup, but now I noticed a real weirdness.

With only X-Terminal open (similar results when closed), offline mode, no SIM, only one desktop, I switched the directory to /sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0 and I run
Code:
 for i in $(seq 10); do sleep 5s; cat current_now; done
The results are
Code:
During the measure the screen auto dimmed. A second measure: I ran the same script and locked the device immediately.

Code:
If we suppose that standby current is 120mA, it would mean 12 hours of uptime.
time_to_empty_avg was 11580, 12240,(locked the device now) 29400 (straight after unlocking), 12180; so in best case slightly more than 8 hours.

What's interesting, the second battery in the second device shows similar results, but they are slightly better (it was once 180 mA with screen on)

/edit: in fact the standby current is much lower on the second device.

Does it suggest a battery being worn out or some other hardware damage which doesn't have anything in common with battery?

/edit: the /sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0/uevent file, in case if it is useful. Note the strange last line

Code:
PHYSDEVPATH=/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0055
PHYSDEVBUS=i2c
PHYSDEVDRIVER=bq27x00-battery
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=bq27200-0
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Discharging
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=3949000
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=232585
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=88
POWER_SUPPLY_TEMP=296
POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_EMPTY_NOW=16860
POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_EMPTY_AVG=13080
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=1243788
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_NOW=1089564
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN=2056320

Last edited by marmistrz; 2014-10-21 at 18:52.