Active Topics

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
http://www.openbricks.org/

What is it ? OpenBricks is an enterprise-grade embedded Linux framework that provides easy creation of custom distributions for industrial embedded devices. It features a complete embedded development kit for rapid deployment on x86, ARM, PowerPC and MIPS systems with support for industry leaders. Pick your device, select your software bricks and cook your product !
What do you think about it?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Oh, awesome: someone else has taken all the hard work out of bricking one's phone!

On a more serious not: wth would anyone want this?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Oh, awesome: someone else has taken all the hard work out of bricking one's phone!

On a more serious not: wth would anyone want this?
I don't know what is the maturity level of this framework, but I think It could be a good starting point to develop a community-made distribution for our phone. Isn't it enough to want this?

EDIT: another good reason:
http://www.openbricks.org/supported-platforms/

So far, the OpenBricks project has been tested, evaluated and certified with the following embedded platforms that we own:
[...]
  • Nokia N900 (OMAP3)
[...]

Last edited by MaddogG; 2010-10-18 at 14:01.

Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
I don't know what is the maturity level of this framework, but I think It could be a good starting point to develop a community-made distribution for our phone. Isn't it enough to want this?
It's an extension of the existing GeeXboX projects bricks but oriented ti be much more versatile. In a few words: maturity of 8y of development.

The Following User Says Thank You to gxben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Is meego not enoug community oriented?

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Is meego not enoug community oriented?
Meego = Maemo (Nokia) + Moblin (Intel)

Open source doesn't necessary mean community made...I mean, decisions about Meego development are taken by Nokia and Intel, not by community. Of course, if you want you can grab Meego sources, modify them and then recompile, but it's not the same: I would like to see a whole system made by us! Something like Openmoko or SHR...

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
what exactly is it? framework like dot net or framework for creating new os? gone through the site for a while but its too technical.

Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
http://www.openbricks.org/

What do you think about it?
Not yet, maybe in few hours..

Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
what exactly is it? framework like dot net or framework for creating new os? gone through the site for a while but its too technical.
It's a framework for creating new Linux distros targeting different hardware architectures: you can use it to create a new os for you pc as well as for your smartphone.

Last edited by MaddogG; 2010-10-19 at 07:58.