I've followed the directions of the threads here to install Chinese fonts. Now I can see simplified Chinese. However, when the browser displays traditional Chinese, many characters are missing.

I would appreciate help on how to install traditional Chinese font..

have you ever tried to install maemo traditional chinese support via application manager?or,you can copy the traditional chinese font from your computer to your NIT and install it just like the way you installled simplified chinese font.
Attached Images

Last edited by leavic; 2008-06-15 at 01:32.

If you have a computer with XP, copy arialuni.ttf to the NIT and remove your simplified Chinese font.. It is the only font you will need for almost all languages. And it looks great!

<quote>have you ever tried to install maemo traditional chinese support via application manager?or,you can copy the traditional chinese font from your computer to your NIT and install it just like the way you installled simplified chinese font.
<end quote>

Thanks. I just downloaded the traditional Chinese from this link

http://maemocjk.garage.maemo.org/os2008.html

and tried to install it. I got this msg

"unable to install maemo-chinese-traditional-support-chinook"

In my application manager, it says this package has "broken" status.

Not familiar with Linux. I don't know how to troubleshoot further.

Help please...

Last edited by emmaitt; 2008-06-15 at 06:08.

Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
If you have a computer with XP, copy arialuni.ttf to the NIT and remove your simplified Chinese font.. It is the only font you will need for almost all languages. And it looks great!
This was the first thing I did. Took me a while to copy it to /usr/share/fonts directory. After that, I could only read simplified Chinese and not traditional Chinese.

How do I remove the simplified chinese font?

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Germany
cd /usr/share/fonts
rm arialuni.ttf

just get a pure tc font like mingliu.ttf, no need to waste space with character sets you can't read anyway. You can also try the FireFly font which is opensource and optimized for embedded systems.

well,just replace(overwrite) the SC font with a TC font(with the same file name in the same folder).

Thank you all for the responses. I'm new to Linux and therefore I will appreciate it if you can give me specific instructions such as what program, where to find it, or what commands to execute. Otherwise, I'm lost.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Germany
Download the firefly...tar.gz file on your desktop, extract it and copy the fireflysung.ttf file to your device, i suggest the external memory card so the command below works. Open xterm on the device and type in:

mkdir ~/.fonts
mv /media/mmc1/fireflysung.ttf ~/.fonts

Start the browser, it should support t-chinese now, if not undo any previous experiments with other fonts

Last edited by pakr; 2008-06-15 at 09:57.

Just an addtion.
If you are not so familiar with linux command,I would advice that you install "open ssh server" on your NIT,then log into your NIT from your computer with a program named "WinSCP".
With WinSCP,all the file manage job such as transfer(even between PC and NIT) and copy、move can be done under a explorer like interface.Sooner or later,you will find this program tp be so useful.

Last edited by leavic; 2008-06-15 at 12:28.