Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Australia
G'day everyone,

With the N810 and N810 Wimax ed. seen for the same price, I was wondering which one I should buy...

1. Does the latest N810 firmware and software work with the Wimax ed or are there different versions that are obsolete? ie. Is it better to get the Wimax because it is now the same price (and hey, it's another feature (albeit "doomed")), or are there drawbacks?

2. Wayfinder GPS - is it true that if you opt not to subscribe to Wayfinder services, the free maps that you can download will not show street names?

Sorry for the verbose questions!

I very much appreciate any of your thoughts.

Cheers.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
1. Does the latest N810 firmware and software work with the Wimax ed or are there different versions that are obsolete? ie. Is it better to get the Wimax because it is now the same price (and hey, it's another feature (albeit "doomed")), or are there drawbacks?
If WiMax covers your area, you should get the WiMax edition. It would still work without Nokia's blessings. The firmware images are the same, AFAIK.

2. Wayfinder GPS - is it true that if you opt not to subscribe to Wayfinder services, the free maps that you can download will not show street names?
Not true. The street names are always visible. But without paying, all you get is a GPS map. With paying, you get voice guided navigation.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
I cannot generally confirm this for most of the maps I've used so far without paying anything (Benelux, Germany, Czech Republic, Turkey) - it might happen for specific maps though: If I remember correctly I had no street names in Finland, but my brain might trick me here...

Be aware of http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=27561 .

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Street names do not appear in "3D" mode and only appear in "2D" mode at high (detailed) zoom levels. If you have "auto scaling" (zoom level dependent on speed) selected in settings you may not see a detailed zoom level until you are almost stopped.

This happens with or without the license. Because this behavior is typical of crippleware or an inferior navigator, I can see how there is some confusion.

If you pay for any level of license you are still left with an inferior navigator but as pycage has stated, one that now has voice guided navigation.

BTW, although this Wayfinder app was commercially developed it is not a very good justification for buying a NIT. In fact it is so poor an example it might even be considered a liability if it were not for Maemo Mapper and other excellent free, open source, and community developed applications that you can use. (IMHO)

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-04-27 at 16:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Not true. The street names are always visible. But without paying, all you get is a GPS map. With paying, you get voice guided navigation.
A caveat, and not related to any fees: the app does a poor job of showing street names in general. A little zoom out and you can even lose major ones. I believe a bug was reported, but as has been alluded to in the "no updates for 3rd party apps" thread, the bug persists.

EDIT: eh, like YoDude said.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: