Originally Posted by Sazpaimon View Post
Figured I'd join just to talk about this:

My last experience with gnash (on a desktop OS) wasn't very good. It wouldn't run most Flash 9 flashes at all (VVVVVV for example). My quick experience with porting it to the Maemo dev environment wasn't any better.

In fact, when you run a Flash 9 SWF with gnash in verbose mode, it warns you that Flash 9 isn't fully supported. If it barely supports Flash 9, what makes you think you'll have any better luck with Flash 10.1?

I think a more ambitious project would be to port Lightspark to maemo. Apparently it has an ARM port by the Ubuntu folks (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+...0.4.6-0ubuntu1). It supports AS 3, and will fallback on gnash for AS 1 and 2 code.
dunno.. as3 is just flash 9, plus lightspark doesn't have any hardware acceleration via mplayer's ffmpeg like gnash..

if you previously tried to compile gnash on maemo and therefore have a dev environment, maybe you could join forces with the person above to see if you can get a hardware accelerated gnash going on the n900..

edit: i meant to say : 'maybe you could join forces with the person above to see if you can get a hardware accelerated gnash going on the n900.. pretty please'

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-03-22 at 04:21.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
This is great..............I smell another 'overclocking' kind of thread!....the impossible will be possible!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Gnash has been talked about to death. If anyone tech savvy could contribute to Gnash that'd be great - but they're horribly legally cautious - their team is all people who NEVER used Adobe's Flash Player, at least so they claim.

- Edit -

And of course while Gnash's latest version - I hear - are actually rather nice at supporting flash 9, flash 10 support isn't exactly complete. But I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Gnash has been talked about to death. If anyone tech savvy could contribute to Gnash that'd be great - but they're horribly legally cautious - their team is all people who NEVER used Adobe's Flash Player, at least so they claim.

- Edit -

And of course while Gnash's latest version - I hear - are actually rather nice at supporting flash 9, flash 10 support isn't exactly complete. But I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here. I just don't want to get my hopes up.
i'd rather hitch my wagon to this horse than wait for the train that never comes...

The Following User Says Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
dunno.. as3 is just flash 9, plus lightspark doesn't have any hardware acceleration via mplayer's ffmpeg like gnash..

if you previously tried to compile gnash on maemo and therefore have a dev environment, maybe you could join forces with the person above to see if you can get a hardware accelerated gnash going on the n900..

edit: i meant to say : 'maybe you could join forces with the person above to see if you can get a hardware accelerated gnash going on the n900.. pretty please'
1. Lightspark's AS3 implementation is up to par with Flash 10's, I believe.
2. Lightspark has hardware acceleration through OpenGL.
3. Lightspark may possibly be slow on an N900 because it doesn't translate AS3 code into native ARM assembly as it does for X86, I haven't tested it.
4. Gnash alone has less compatibility than the bundled Flash 9 plugin. It's a fact and nothing can be done about it for now.

1. Lightspark's AS3 implementation is up to par with Flash 10's, I believe.
2. Lightspark has hardware acceleration through OpenGL.
3. Lightspark may possibly be slow on an N900 because it doesn't translate AS3 code into native ARM assembly as it does for X86, I haven't tested it.
4. Gnash alone has less compatibility than the bundled Flash 9 plugin. It's a fact and nothing can be done about it for now.
does opengl hardware acceleration imply hardware acceleration for video playback or just e.g. flash animation? i suspect it's just flash animation, but some people would be happy with this for games etc.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/lig...orkingSiteList

shows some interesting stats, like low quality of interactivity support on some sites like youtube (if i read it correctly). but, yes, if it doesn't support arm just-in-time assembly then that's a pity. also it looks like it's just being maintained by just one guy..

but, good find. i'd never heard of lightspark before now.

I have an N900 arriving in the next couple days. When it arrives, I'll see what I can do about getting lightspark and gnash installed. If they play nicely and give equal or better support than the builtin flash 9 plugin, I'll package up some debs. The dev environment alone doesn't fully suit this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sazpaimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
You can compile it to use gstreamer instead of ffmpeg if you want. Anyway, gnash works fine as a standalone player at least, but it's slower than the official player and the stuff I tried that doesn't work in official flash didn't work in gnash either. So from my experience there are no real benefits right now. I built against the latest from the git repository.

There seem to a fair amount of activity on gnash at least so perhaps it will be better in the future.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
You can compile it to use gstreamer instead of ffmpeg if you want. Anyway, gnash works fine as a standalone player at least, but it's slower than the official player and the stuff I tried that doesn't work in official flash didn't work in gnash either. So from my experience there are no real benefits right now. I built against the latest from the git repository.

There seem to a fair amount of activity on gnash at least so perhaps it will be better in the future.
thanks for the incredible effort!

if it's slower at playing videos then it looks like hardware acceleration isn't working yet.

do you have mplayer installed on the dev environment? just in case mplayer brings something to the hardware accelerated codec party.

i'll poke around and see if i can find any information on hw acceleration for gnash.

i suppose compiling the browser plugin is moot for now.

thanks again for doing this.

I have an N900 arriving in the next couple days. When it arrives, I'll see what I can do about getting lightspark and gnash installed. If they play nicely and give equal or better support than the builtin flash 9 plugin, I'll package up some debs. The dev environment alone doesn't fully suit this.
you da man!