Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hey all!

So I was wondering if we could get a list of some example application with their source for us new developers to look at. That would be really awesome, and I know a lot of you have some great code out there.

It would definitely speed up the learning process for us!

Thanks everyone

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
You can find a lot of source code of current fremantle apps here:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...e/free/source/

One example is the fremantle version of my mClock:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...urce/m/mclock/ (It is however quite special as it includes a PyGTK/PyGame mix).

Mayn others include much better apps like gPodder or pyGTKEditor.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Of course, in my infinite bias I'll add Dialcentral to that list.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I see gPodder is written in Python but overkill for a newbie to get to grips with. The problem I think is a lack of a good "getting started" guide.

I personally tried the Hello World sample. Problem is, I can't see what you need to do next to actually create something useful with different pages, buttons, text fields, pulling data from the web, etc.

Perhaps I have thrown myself into the deep end trying to do this when most of what I have done in the past has been cut/paste/edit jobs in PHP and JavaScript. But I really want to learn Python and Linux programming, when I found out about the N900 it seemed the perfect tool to do both those and get a mobile device configured how I want it.

I was frustrated and dismayed at how Windows Mobile halts the CPU when you stick it into standby and am curious how Maemo handles that too.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I see gPodder is written in Python but overkill for a newbie to get to grips with. The problem I think is a lack of a good "getting started" guide.

I personally tried the Hello World sample. Problem is, I can't see what you need to do next to actually create something useful with different pages, buttons, text fields, pulling data from the web, etc.
Try some tutorials not directly related to Maemo, but more general about Python (the programming language) and PyGTK+ (the python interface to the primary toolkit/library used in Maemo right now) or PyQT (the upcoming toolkit). Once you have that under control, it's a very small step to get up and running in Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Try some tutorials not directly related to Maemo, but more general about Python (the programming language) and PyGTK+ (the python interface to the primary toolkit/library used in Maemo right now) or PyQT (the upcoming toolkit). Once you have that under control, it's a very small step to get up and running in Maemo.
Thanks for the links they are very helpful! I was however wondering if there is a tutorial for this small step how to deploy an app in Maemo. I know my way round in Python but am looking for an up to date example that explains step by step how to create an application with Python (PyGTK or PyQT) for Maemo 5. Is there something like that? I searched and skimmed the documentation but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Perhaps my own Hermes will be a useful starting point for you? I don't claim it's a bastion of good UI design, or that the UI is put together in the "best" way for Python.

However, I will claim the app is built on sound OO principles (GUI separate from worker classes etc.) and it features all the main UI bits: app menus, buttons, check boxes, inputs, scrolling lists, progress bars etc.

Source code at:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...urce/h/hermes/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Thanks. The Hermes and mClock sources as examples should get me started as far as Python development is concerned. I will also have a look at the documentation specifically on Maemo packaging and hope to be able to take it from there...

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Can widgets be written in Python?
Or is there a widget that can embed a small HTML page with JavaScript etc? (like how Windows Sidebar Gadgets work)

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
Can widgets be written in Python?
Or is there a widget that can embed a small HTML page with JavaScript etc? (like how Windows Sidebar Gadgets work)
Also interested in knowing if widgets can be written in Python...

updated: yes they can... http://wiki.maemo.org/PyMaemo/HildonDesktop

my question now is actually a more advanced tutorial? can anyone provide me with directions?

thanks

Last edited by HangLoose; 2009-12-10 at 14:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:

Tags
development, fremantle, maemo 5, n900, src