Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Mine is working fine with calls between clients, don't know about skypeout

Hi there!!

I tried this also & it did not work!! The Skype logo came up for about 10 seconds & then crashed.
GIZMO works & works very well with both OS2007HE & OS2006 on the 770. It is also cheaper to use for voicecalls than Skype.
I think I will delete the Skyhost from my tablet & uninstall Skype UI & stick to my GIZMO>

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I am sorry, Skype worked just fine. It is the operator, me, that does not know how to use Skype. It turns out that, on the 770, after getting Skype sign in, one has to check the "Online", to the right of your user name, there is a small triangle to open up the menu. After checking the online status, then one can do skype to skype. International call is about $0.02 per minute. How much is Gizmo as the previous post said it is cheaper?

bun

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
International call is about $0.02 per minute. How much is Gizmo as the previous post said it is cheaper?

bun
It really depends what countries and type of phone (cell or landline) you are calling... You better check out both Gizmoproject and Skype web sites for specific rates.

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by bahbah12 View Post
I tried this also & it did not work!! The Skype logo came up for about 10 seconds & then crashed.
That just means that you didn't follow the instructions correctly. There are two separate sets of instructions on this thread - which one did you follow?

Hi again,
I followed the detailed set of instructions. Maybe I did something wrong! Gizmo is cool & cheaper on calls to France, Uk and Spain (these are the ones I have used).

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by bahbah12 View Post
Hi again,
I followed the detailed set of instructions.
Which post on this thread did you follow?

Mine is working fine with calls between clients,
skypeout, N770 2007HE. Had to follow the posts on copying the host file...

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post

7) copy /media/mmc1/skyhost into /usr/bin, you need to be at root then run skyhost (install becomeroot will let you gainroot)
Start Xterm
~ $ sudo gainroot
/home/user # cp /media/mmc1/skyhost /usr/bin
/home/user # chown user:users /usr/bin/skyhost

8) Menu>Skype, voila, start skyping....

Installed skype-ui 1.7.43.38.2.
bun
Hi there.
There is a new version skype_1.7.62.51.1_armel.deb is available.
Comparing with the skype_1.7.62.48.5_armel.deb only changes are in usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10.

Are you all Sure only the usr/lib/skyhost is needed from this package? what about rest of the stuff inside? farsight-0.1-2 or gstreamer-0.10?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by realjobe View Post
Hi there.
There is a new version skype_1.7.62.51.1_armel.deb is available.
Comparing with the skype_1.7.62.48.5_armel.deb only changes are in usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10.

Are you all Sure only the usr/lib/skyhost is needed from this package? what about rest of the stuff inside? farsight-0.1-2 or gstreamer-0.10?
All you need is to change the skyhost file. It works exactly like my N800, no difference. My wife has been using it to pay bills and check with kids in school for months.

bun