Closed Thread
I am just reminding everyone that there is no room for personal attacks here in Internet Tablet Talk.

Despite my previous warning, it seems like some members still have a hard time controlling themselves. I have previously mentioned that there will be new rules that will be implemented soon. So, for the mean time, while the new rules are not yet in place, I will start banning members who are reported for personal attacks. Bans will last for a week.

To control using new accounts to post, for each new account that a banned member registers, a month will be added to the ban.

Let us keep order in the forums. To the community, please don't hesitate to report members who are attacking other members.

Thank you.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Enough said.

Thank You.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
What? All this because some people can't be bothered to learn how "ignore" works?

I'm in half a mind to say "byebye" to this forum...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I look at it this way: over 7000 members and a tiny handful of troublemakers (4 of which I strongly suspect are actually one person). Given that, there really isn't a huge problem here and it's not like Reggie will likely be banning people right and left.

Thing is, this is a more professional forum than, say, a gaming or wrestling forum and while having fun or even poking each other is fine IMO (as Karel and I have ) outright harassment is over the line. I'm using Ignore on the troublemaker accounts but for it to be effective against a committed miscreant it has to be used by more than 1 or 2 posters. In addition, if the troublemaker spams then you wind up with a jackass filling his ignored posts (which of course show up as headers) in between the good stuff, adding unnecessarily to the page count.

I think Reggie is striking a good balance here, and I highly doubt there will be any of the "admin abuse" I've seen elsewhere.

So don't say "byebye" Karel. What other curmudgeon will I spar with?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I look at it this way: over 7000 members and a tiny handful of troublemakers (4 of which I strongly suspect are actually one person). Given that, there really isn't a huge problem here and it's not like Reggie will likely be banning people right and left.

Thing is, this is a more professional forum than, say, a gaming or wrestling forum and while having fun or even poking each other is fine IMO (as Karel and I have ) outright harassment is over the line. I'm using Ignore on the troublemaker accounts but for it to be effective against a committed miscreant it has to be used by more than 1 or 2 posters. In addition, if the troublemaker spams then you wind up with a jackass filling his ignored posts (which of course show up as headers) in between the good stuff, adding unnecessarily to the page count.

I think Reggie is striking a good balance here, and I highly doubt there will be any of the "admin abuse" I've seen elsewhere.

Ok i guarantee this is over for me cuz I AINT GETTING BANNED... but TEXRAT just called me like 4-5 names above... and he has done this to many others... and since Reggie let him get away with it TIME AND TIME AGAIN in the past... so on my other thread when he called me names I JUST DECIDED HE WASN'T GOING TO DO THIS EXACT BEHAVIOR TO ME and so I played with him... BUT I AM DONE PLAYING WITH HIM CUZ IT'S GONNA GET ME BANNED but doesn't he have to stop or does he get a free pass?

Last edited by euchreprof; 2007-06-05 at 22:01.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post

I am a believer in freedom of speech, and especially in the freedom of expression of opinions that I detest (what else is freedom of speech good for anyway?).

Furthermore, it is only words. They cannot hurt anyone beyond one's feelings, so what's the point of going all Spanish Inquisition on them? If a troll and its detractors want to start a flaming war, I say let them have their puerile fun; it's no skin of my back. Actually, it's usually a good sign for a forum if the local troll population starts to pay attention: it means the forum has achieved escape velocity and is now cruising happily above the event horizon (Prof. Hawking would probably have me crucified for mixing metaphores like that).

Finally, when I "spar" on this forum, it's usually to get a point across or, sometimes, to apply a bit of (poor) socratic irony: on occasion things need to be said with brutal exaggeration to get noticed. I'm not saying I'm good at it, mind, just that I try...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by euchreprof View Post
Ok i guarantee this is over for me cuz I AINT GETTING BANNED... but TEXRAT just called me like 4-5 names above... and he has done this to many others... and since Reggie let him get away with it TIME AND TIME AGAIN in the past... so on my other thread when he called me names I JUST DECIDED HE WASN'T GOING TO DO THIS EXACT BEHAVIOR TO ME and so I played with him... BUT I AM DONE PLAYING WITH HIM CUZ IT'S GONNA GET ME BANNED but doesn't he have to stop or does he get a free pass?
There is no personal attack in Texrats post, he doesn't name you or otherwise identify you. Of course we all know who he is referring to - it doesn't take a genius to work that out - but as he hasn't instigated a direct personal attack he hasn't broken any forum rules so you'll just have to live with it, leave or accept a ban.

You, on the other hand, have identified and criticised a named individual in your post. Do you see how Texrat got away with it? Perhaps you should be a little more creative with your posts. By the way, did you read the title of this thread?

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-06-05 at 22:14.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
There is no personal attack in Texrats post, he doesn't name you or otherwise identify you. Of course we all know who he is referring to - it doesn't take a genius to work that out - but as he hasn't instigated a direct personal attack he hasn't broken any forum rules so you'll just have to live with it, leave or accept a ban.

You, on the other hand, have identified and criticised a named individual in your post. Do you see how Texrat got away with it? Perhaps you should be a little more creative with your posts. By the way, did you read the title of this thread?

No personal attack in Texrat's post? I hope you don't speak for Reggie but if this is the mentality I am going to have to live by to stay on here so be it. I am done attacking and responding to THIS thread now and I will only post "good" stuff from now on and i will just accept the shots directed at me from here on in cuz I don;t want to beat a dead horse any longer... I know I made my point and now I need to make another silent point.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Nobody wants to rag on you, we should all be able to get along and enjoy this place.

Making posts personal and bating people "for fun" is the fastest way to make yourself a target, so if you can avoid that in future you may not have to "accept the shots directed at me" because the shots aimed at you won't be there in the first place.

Oh, and only Reggie speaks for Reggie as far as I know!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Yeeeesh,
I concur Milhouse. As far as free speech goes one way to help protect it is to have consequences for its abuse.

I have seen on other forums where the admin enables the IP look-up icon for senior members...

A man can concentrate his mind wonderfully when he knows his IP addy is exposed...
(My apologies to Samuel Johnson whose quote about being "hanged in a fortnight" that I butchered was in reference to Socrates and The Euthyphro I believe.)

This can sometime lead to other abuses and for that a perma ban can be imposed.
The Romans had the right idea but in their forums one could look the other in the eye and usually knew where he lived.

Closed Thread