Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
Originally Posted by karam View Post
i don't recommend activating conservative!!!!!!
it will f*ck your N900
it will make the performance horrible

but saves a loooot of power instead

to activate :

open the profile you are using with any text editor and change the line

GOVERNOR=ondemand
to
GOVERNOR=conservative

and reload the profile with
kernel-config load $yourprofile
Well that depends.
If you're always on frequencies above 500MHz, i.e if you set kernel-config 500 1150 then the conservative governor is best to use. However, it is not recommended to set the conservative governor if you're starting from 250.

The Following User Says Thank You to GigaByte For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
@Estel
As I said before, I'm not epitaphish, it's totally okay, perhaps with our efforts we can further enhace the script.

Well then, the best way to figure our ways out is to create a script which monitors the CPU frequency while idle, and then observe the results. I assume most of the time, the CPU will sit on 0, maybe jump to 250 for some time, since the CPU usage with this patch applied is fairly low, 2 to 4 % as a max.

I will test this however. I am planning to fully charge my phone, unpatch it, then let it sit idle, and count the days that will pass by, then repeat the test with the patch applied, and see the results.

Just to point out, I made the patch very simply to load a KP profile when idle and another one while the device is active as a reply to GigaByte's request, but then I started collecting battery saving scripts scattered here and there into the script, so criticism and testing are certainly the top procedures to take for enhancing the script.
Hey ammyt, nice to hear that. Yea, it seemed to me that You're nice guy, so my post was rather aimed at "thread followers"

Anyway, a little note about titan's profiles and derivatives (like starving). It has long history of corrupting people filesystems in most sneaky way - You may not notice problems in even few weeks or months of use, then strange things begin happening - almost like "x-files" Most of the time, it's not possible to find source of problems or fix it, except whole reflash or restoration of rotfs+optfs, like with backupmenu. Ho ever, in every such case I've heard of, abandoning modified profiles "protected" device for getting into this problems again.

Also, just look at these profiles. On some frequencies, they seems *very* unbalanced. Voltage staying @ the same lvl for few frequency hop's in line, then, sudden of nothing, going higher by a not small factor.

Remember that voltage profiles should be "prepared" individually for every device, by trial and error + adjusted (up) a little just to be on safe side. So, proposing "ideal", "starving" or "xlv" for every user installing script is BAD idea.

Of course it's up to You, but I would suggest something like that as default profile:

Code:
# kernel configuration file generated by /usr/sbin/kernel-config
MINFREQ=500
MAXFREQ=900
FREQS="0:30,90 500:39,360 550:42,400 600:45,430 700:50,430 750:54,430 805:54,430 850:57,500 900:60,500 950:65,500 1000:68,500 1100:72,520 1150:72,520"
SMARTREFLEX_VDD1=0
SMARTREFLEX_VDD2=0
GOVERNOR=ondemand
IGNORE_NICE_LOAD=1
UP_THRESHOLD=90
SAMPLING_RATE=200000
POWERSAVE_BIAS=0
It is between Nokia stock voltage (correctly scaled for higher than default frequencies), and "ideal" settings with fixes = it's lower voltage than stock, but higher than risky titan's ones.

It *should* work great for every device, and then, every user - if she/he is willing to - may tweak it further to own liking.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-09-06 at 14:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
@Estel
Lol.
To be honest, I have no idea of what are you talking about...

Anyway, a little note about titan's profiles and derivatives (like starving). It has long history of corrupting people filesystems in most sneaky way - You may not notice problems in even few weeks or months of use, then strange things begin happening - almost like "x-files" not possible to find source of problems or fix it, except whole reflash or restoration of rotfs+optfs, like with backupmenu. Ho ever, in every such case I've heard of, abandoning modified profiles "protected" device for getting into this problems again.
but anyway, thanks.

@Estel
What about lv?
I use lv, sometimes oc to 805 but usually 600 and with smartreflex set to 1. what about:
IGNORE_NICE_LOAD=1
UP_THRESHOLD=90
SAMPLING_RATE=200000
POWERSAVE_BIAS=0

should I cahnge to the values above (taken from your post) or stay with the default ones?

As for lv, I've never heard about anyone having problems with it. Ho ever, it's always better to tweak settings to Your device "liking"

Ignore nice load mean that device doesn't go up in frequency tree (for example, from 500 to 600 mhz) on momentary request, that would result in device going back to lower frequency after moment or so. It's better to keep it enabled.

Up_threshold is percentage of load at which device would scale up. So, higher it is, latter the device will scale frequency up.

Sampling rate - If i recall correctly, time in uS in which device "check" for load. Lower sampling rate = faster response to increased load, but may also increase unnecessary jumping. 200000 is 0,2 second, so it should be ok.

You can get explanation of all parameters in wiki.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Very briefly: ignore nice load means that the scaling will ignore the load of nice'd processes (running at a lower-than-standard priority).

This is so that e.g. the tracker process will not make the CPU jump up, as it's just a background task which can work more slowly without making a problem.

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
as I see, this scripts do same of vfs with karma battery patch, need to uninstall it ?

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
as I see, this scripts do same of vfs with karma battery patch, need to uninstall it ?
Not needed, you can install it over karam's patch.
BTW, karam has just released a new patch with all the scripts in my patch included so be sure to check it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
how do you activate conservative governor? thx
my apologies if this is late:

Code:
root
echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
in case you still need it.

EDIT: karam beat me to it.....Im not reading....>_<

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Last edited by gabby131; 2011-09-08 at 11:20.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Is it possible to make it stay as it is while not locked?