Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
can i know what the disadvantages of android hardware compatibility are?
  • People not willing to buy a Jolla device due to factors ranging from the OS working on their own Android device which may most probably have better tech specs
  • If people didn't get a fully functional port, there is a chance they don't even want to try a Jolla
  • If Sailfish OS contains proprietary contents like some core apps etc, it isn't clear how these would be ported over... Maybe Nemo apps are ported over instead hence a consistent experience is not derived by the user

Frankly, whatever Jolla have done till date have both its advantages+disadvantages but I for one am certainly rooting for them. I not only want a Jolla but would want to run Sailfish OS on the Android devices I own

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
can i know what the disadvantages of android hardware compatibility are?
its not secure.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
  • People not willing to buy a Jolla device due to factors ranging from the OS working on their own Android device which may most probably have better tech specs
  • If people didn't get a fully functional port, there is a chance they don't even want to try a Jolla
  • If Sailfish OS contains proprietary contents like some core apps etc, it isn't clear how these would be ported over... Maybe Nemo apps are ported over instead hence a consistent experience is not derived by the user

Frankly, whatever Jolla have done till date have both its advantages+disadvantages but I for one am certainly rooting for them. I not only want a Jolla but would want to run Sailfish OS on the Android devices I own
oh thanks, and what are the advantages of having native sailfish hardware driver?

and does that mean we can install android on jolla phone as well?

Last edited by youmeego; 2013-09-16 at 16:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The arguments against having an Android compatibility layer is really coming from either purists or from folks that don't see the reason for the inclusion and announcement.

I'm not exactly a fan of it, but having it eases the transition from folks that might be on the fence of updating their Android phone and thus might come to Jolla if some of their favorite apps - read: Instagram, Pinterest, Vine, Waze and the like - are able to run there too. Face it, Jolla out of the door will have very little application support from things that a lot of consumers take for granted on other platforms.

To me, the insecurity reasons (no mobile OS is fully secure out of the box) to the "I don't want Android on my Jolla phone" (take the hint: don't use it then) types are really just annoying bits of noise that you should avoid.

I cannot find too many negatives other than if it's implemented poorly, it'll reflect poorly on Jolla.

Here's to hoping it helps Jolla more than it hurts them. As a Jolla fan, I count the Android compatibility layer as a plus.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
im worried about android malware now :/

The Following User Says Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Whats the difference between a Torrent tracker and jolla OS?

Do jolla have to pay or get approval google? If not now, what if jolla is successful?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The arguments against having an Android compatibility layer is really coming from either purists or from folks that don't see the reason for the inclusion and announcement.
What folks have been talking about in the last few pages isn't the Alien Dalvik ACL but rather libhybris, the bionic <--> libgcc dvr/hw compatibility layer.
Some of Jolla's recent public statements have lead some folks to assume that Sailfish ports to Android devices are now just a "hop, skip, & a jump" away.
But I get your point about an ACL for Apps, & more-or-less agree with the main thrust of what was said...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-16 at 17:29. Reason: clarify

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Curitiba-PR . Brasil
Originally Posted by praveenchand View Post
Sailfishos achieves compatibility with Android ecosystem. Great news! Press release and pics @ http://jolla.com/press/
Google Translate:

http://translate.google.com/translat...l-1958589.html

How is the comparability with google play application in jolla...If they can run that it would be truly awesome.

Google won't let them install Google Play on their device. If someone finds an innovative way to get it working on a Jolla device it will probably be violating the terms and conditions of the Google Play store.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red